No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Elisabluh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 05:33 AM

Default Newbie from Chicago!

Hello,
Finally made an account here after lurking for like two years and finally setting up a few vivariums that I'm giving some time to grow in... hi! I'm Elisabluh, I'm a grad student from Chicago, and once my tanks are grown in I'm hoping to get a small group of orange terribs, a pair of azures, and a pair/trio of some sorta thumbnail once I have some real experience.

Here's my vivs so far! All Josh's Frogs kits lol, with a little extras here and there (mostly extra bromeliads).

First build, 12x12x18, just added two new plants that didn't fit in the newer one because I killed one of the existing ones (not enough air flow, oops) and figured more plants = happier thumbnails. The cork bark piece was an afterthought I found in a Petco one day that was just too cute to resist... that little knothole tho.

Second one is 24x18x18 and the home for a future group of orange terribs - I put a trex foam "rainforest rapids" background on top of the false bottom and one bag's worth of ABG, cut some extra places in it for plants... I think it does a good job of adding surface area! Really wanted to focus on "terrestrial" for this one - there's three branches in there but they're pretty much ramps for accessing the other levels of the vivarium.

Finally, this 18x18x18 that I want to house a pair of azures in! I just finished putting it together this morning, and I'm very excited about the piece of spider wood I found at a local reptile shop. The skull decor seemed like the perfect hide heh.

And that's it! I haven't delved into the whole "make your own great stuff background with a waterfall and an automatic mister and a drive-in theatre that exclusively plays The Princess and the Frog" thing yet, and probably won't for some time due to the whole grad-student-living-in-an-apartment thing, but I'm excited to finally get started with all this! I'm culturing springtails and wrangling isopods and there's bits of sphagnum moss EVERYWHERE!

Nice to meet y'all! ^^
cmvp0609 likes this.

Last edited by Elisabluh; 08-04-2019 at 05:35 AM. Reason: botched the bbc for an image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Newbie from Chicago!

Love the vivariums! most especially the second one, really reminds me of a dense jungle floor. Your frogs are gonna be so happy! Can't wait for more pics in the future!
Old 08-04-2019, 09:16 PM

Vivs look great! On your next build try doing a custom background. A lot more work goes in but the results are amazing!
P.S. don't feel bad for lurking because this is my 2nd post after many years lol. Finally want to unlock those permissions for my profile