No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigBlu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Exclamation Man with a Mission

Hello everyone,

First I want to preface I'm glad to finally join the community- I'm new to the hobby insofar as I've only recently taken the plunge into actually gathering supplies and getting frogs, but I've been lurking the Dendroboard for years now, trying to sponge up as much information as possible, slowly preparing.

Having said that, what had previously been a slow, carefully deliberated series of steps towards actualizing my own dart frog vivarium took several large leaps and now I find myself in the deep end.

I attended a local reptile expo this weekend, just looking to gather some cool corkbark and other landscaping supplies so I could begin making my tank.

That's when I stumbled across a pair of Azureus Tinctorious for sale; a sexed male/female pair. The female looked skinny- way too skinny.

Talking with the dealer revealed she had taken them away from a previous clueless owner who had put 6 females and 2 male tincs all in one enclosure. This male/female pair had been bullied mercilessly by the rest of the tribe and would have starved to death if she hadn't intervened.

After years of learning and practicing and making lists, checking them over, gathering supplies, these were the first two dart frogs I had ever seen for sale; and what had happened to them absolutely broke my heart.

I couldn't leave their fates to chance; seeing random children and clueless couples inquiring about the pair, I couldn't let some other impulse buyer take them and almost certainly kill them. I bought them from the dealer, came home and immediately began scrambling about town to get the supplies needed to make a quarantine tank for them.

Skip ahead 2 days later and they seem to be doing well enough given their circumstances. They're both active, adventurous and gobbling up flies- they don't run away or hide when they see me open the tank to mist or feed them.

But the female is just so emaciated- I don't know if she'll recover, but I have to try.

That's why I'm here today posting for the first time. I want to learn as much as possible about nursing this pair back to good health... Or if I even can. I feel like I'm a bit in uncharted territory despite all the years of soaking up information.

It's a bit lengthy, I know, but thanks for hearing me out. Once I gain full posting privileges I'll try to go into it in greater detail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Man with a Mission

Welcome to the forum!

I do hope that your first dive into this works out well for you, and for the frogs. In the future, do keep in mind that respectable dealers don't offer sub-par animals at shows, especially to buyers with no previous experience.

That said, hopefully what the dealer told you is true, and all you need to do is feed them well. In any event, a fecal sample to a qualified amphibian vet is highly recommended. You can find a qualified vet here:
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Good luck with your project, and please keep us updated!

-- Orwell
Old 07-25-2019, 01:07 AM

Hello Socratic Monologue,

I have to absolutely agree with you. I think in the moment I got swept up in my own emotional reasoning, but you are right that someone selling an animal in such condition should be scrutinized. I've thought about that a lot over the last several days.

Perhaps I let myself get suckered? I don't know. I just know something kind of clicked and I had to at least try for the sake of the frogs.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction with finding a qualified vet; I was wondering where I should start looking!
Socratic Monologue likes this.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlu View Post
I got swept up in my own emotional reasoning
I think once you come to know that's what happened, it is all good. This whole strange attraction to frogs isn't all that rational, anyway.

I'm betting they'll do really well with you, and you'll soon have a room full of vivs!

-- Orwell
Old 07-25-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
you'll soon have a room full of vivs!
Maybe some day, hah! For now, I just want to do what I can to stick the landing with this Azureus couple and learn from the inevitable string of beginner mistakes. Studying for years just isn't the same as actually getting your hands dirty, that's becoming apparent very quickly.

It's already becoming very apparent I'm going to have a fair bit of leftover supplies from the first build. I can see how this gets addicting for people.