Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2019, 03:23 PM

Default Online Purchases

What's the opinion of purchasing online? I am still researching if there are good local options for both animals and tank supplies. I'd rather support something local if possible. What's the general opinion on online purchase/shipping of PDFs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Online Purchases

Research, research, research. There's a lot of big sellers online, but biggest doesn't mean best. Read reviews, look them up on facebook and try to find out how they care for their animals. Be aware of CB and WC tags (or lack thereof, which unless noted otherwise probably means wild-caught).

Dendroboard and similar forums have a Vendor Feedback thread that's useful for finding info on hobbyist sellers.

I think local is always the way to go if you have a good local source, but shipping can be done safely under proper conditions. Some areas (like mine!) just don't have a large herp hobby presence, so shipping is essentially the only way to get animals and certain supplies (like cork bark- not even the box stores here sell it!).

Just know where your animals are coming from and if you don't have a good feeling, don't buy. If you feel good about it, read some more reviews and think on it for a week or four
Old 07-17-2019, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 07-17-2019, 08:38 PM

Where are you at? Changes are there's a reptile show coming to your area soon. I bought all of my vivarium stuff online but waited til the reptile show to get me frogs. Drove them home and released em into their new home without a single worry. Also, do remember to research vendors you buy from if you choose to buy from a show. Most are good to go but you owe it to your pets to do your due diligence either way.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:27 PM

I was just checking out the Philadelphia Reptile Show coming in Sept. I am just under an hour away from there. I will most likely do a similar thing of getting a Vivarium set up 4-6 weeks prior to the show.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 AM

Not sure which direction Philly is to you. But you seem to be in the north east. Another member brought this gem to my attention...

American Frog Day : Home

Maybe that's driving distance for you also. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFish View Post
Not sure which direction Philly is to you. But you seem to be in the north east. Another member brought this gem to my attention...

American Frog Day : Home

Maybe that's driving distance for you also. Good luck!
Thanks! I am actually pretty much due east of Philly. That looks like a pretty awesome event though, might be worth a trip!
Old 07-21-2019, 12:06 AM

I’m east of Philly as well. While I purchase most supplies online there are local resources as well. There’s recurring reptile shows in oaks and Hamburg pa. “Frogs n Things” breeds a fair number of frogs not far from us. There’s and aquarium store in Malvern that has stuff. “That pet place” in Lancaster is enormous and worth a trip if you’ve never been.