No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By indrap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2019, 11:20 PM

Talking Newbie to the Hobby

Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie to the hobby--I just started out last month with a pair of D. auratus. Of course, PDFs are like potato chips, so I bought a pair of D. tinctorius azureus and a pair of red galacts last week too (all in separate vivariums, of course). I have been interested in obtaining a pair or trio of pumilios, but I have heard that their call is very loud. Are there any other red morphs out there that are at least somewhat quiet? I am feeding the melanogaster and hydei fruit flies, supplemented with Repashy Calcium Plus, with a little extra paprika for color, plus springtails and isopods. Is there anything else I should be feeding to color up my red galacts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Newbie to the Hobby

There are a number of Ranitomeya that have nice reds (stripes, heads).

Repashy Calcium Plus already contains a good amount of Superpig, so I'd be careful not to go overboard on dusting with too much that actually leaves less room on the FFs for stuff that benefits the frogs rather than your eyes. I don't keep any Adelphobates, though, so maybe folks in that corner of the hobby have different ideas.

If I got three new groups of frogs in the last month, I'd slow down and enjoy them, and figure out what it is about frogs that attracts you so that you know what to look for in your next acquisition. Color is likely one of the least interesting things about dart frogs, as far as I can tell.

Oh, and -- Welcome to DB!

Whitman
Old 06-30-2019, 02:29 AM

Welcome, if you are looking for 'quiet' calling frogs, I wouldnt recommend oophaga, even the smallest of pumilio can make a surprising amount of noise! In terms of supplementation, rep cal plus is a good product. It already contains superpig, which is made up in part by paprika, so as already mentioned, I wouldnt go too overboard for the sake of getting colors. I feed 3x a week, twice with cal plus, and then on the 3rd feeding I'll usually feed with superpig. I do this for all my frogs regardless of their coloration because carotenoids play a vital metabolic role in things like egg development, immune systems function, etc just to name a couple. The 'enhanced colors' are an added secondary benefit for me personally.. enjoy and do as much reading on this forums as you can, it is a wealth of info!
Tijl likes this.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:13 PM

Smile Re: Newbie to the Hobby

Wow! That's a lot of new PDFs all at once. I think I'd be terrified of jumping into that. I'm newbie, too. Actually, pre-newbie. I'm building my vivarium, but haven't fully decided on which froggies to start with. It's a standard 18x18x24 Exo. I have custom built ledges, a false bottom, Sphagnum, two bags of ABG mix, a bromeliad, two types of live moss, and other small plants, springtails, and zebra isopods. Just need to finish putting it all together and decide on inhabitants.

I would like my first ones to be bold (so I can see them often), arboreal (because climbers are cool and I have lots of ledges), and be communal (I'd like to start with 2-4). Do you have any you'd recommend based on your first acquisitions? Are some more interesting to watch, or too loud, or too hidden to even see? I'm still narrowing down my preferences.

Ones I'm considering so far:
Ranitomeya imitator 'Varadero' - I like the colors, but SO tiny
Epipedobates anthonyi 'Santa Isabel' - Again, great color, but tiny
Phyllobates terribilis 'Orange' - Bright, but single color
Dendrobates Leucomelas 'Bumblebee' - Not listed as very bold. Highly recommended throughout this board, but for some reason I can't get excited about them.

Open to ANY suggestions! I think some Auratus are really pretty, but don't know which, if any, could best fit our viv.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 AM

Bit of a hijack, but I suppose the 'introduction' forum is pretty casual.

Terribs are terrestrial, so the height might not be used, frog-wise.

Leucs are very bold. If they don't excite you, then scratch them from your list. Note that there is no 'Bumblebee' morph -- that's just a common name that no one really uses.

Imitators are awesome, but I like to stick with pairs, especially if these are your first frogs. A pair will fill the viv up with their family soon enough, anyway.

Whitman
Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwolfe View Post
Wow! That's a lot of new PDFs all at once. I think I'd be terrified of jumping into that. I'm newbie, too. Actually, pre-newbie. I'm building my vivarium, but haven't fully decided on which froggies to start with. It's a standard 18x18x24 Exo. I have custom built ledges, a false bottom, Sphagnum, two bags of ABG mix, a bromeliad, two types of live moss, and other small plants, springtails, and zebra isopods. Just need to finish putting it all together and decide on inhabitants.

I would like my first ones to be bold (so I can see them often), arboreal (because climbers are cool and I have lots of ledges), and be communal (I'd like to start with 2-4). Do you have any you'd recommend based on your first acquisitions? Are some more interesting to watch, or too loud, or too hidden to even see? I'm still narrowing down my preferences.

Ones I'm considering so far:
Ranitomeya imitator 'Varadero' - I like the colors, but SO tiny
Epipedobates anthonyi 'Santa Isabel' - Again, great color, but tiny
Phyllobates terribilis 'Orange' - Bright, but single color
Dendrobates Leucomelas 'Bumblebee' - Not listed as very bold. Highly recommended throughout this board, but for some reason I can't get excited about them.

Open to ANY suggestions! I think some Auratus are really pretty, but don't know which, if any, could best fit our viv.
Hey Silverwolfe! If you want an arboreal species, definitely look more into the Ranitomeya species. They really love to use all their viv space! Personally, my auratus loved to climb, as well as by Leucs. An 18x18x24 would suit 2-3 auratus quite well, as mine have never really been too territorial. What plants do you have going on in the viv? Ranitomeya will utilize broms more than the other species, but Leucs and auratus will still hide in them. I had my auratus lay eggs on their biggest brom rather than the Petri dish a few times. Personally, Leucs and auratus are easier than Ranitomeya, but all species are easy to maintain. Once you start one tank, you won't be able to stop. You will have to keep us updated.

Tags
color enhancement, newbie