Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By redrock2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Default So excited to be a part of a frogger community!

Hello All,

I am an avid frogger residing in Utah for the last 10 years, originally from Idaho. I keep a variety of dart frogs as well as snakes and a White's Tree Frog. Frogs definitely have my heart though. I have been obsessed since I was very little. I have been looking for a like minded community of frog keepers and Dendroboard seems to be the place. Excited to chat, joke, network, educate myself etc. with all of you. If you read this, tell me what your favorite frog species is!

Have a great day,

-Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Re: So excited to be a part of a frogger community!

So far I've only kept leucs so it's hard to tell my favorite species, but it would probably be phyllobates terribilis 'orange'! What kind of darts do you keep?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM

Welcome!

Ranitomeya imitator is my favorite.

Since you don't mind sharing your location, would you put it in your profile? Then when you ask a climate/geography related question (Why is my viv so dry? What frogs are in my backyard?), it saves a step for the responders.

What snakes do you keep? I breed Tarahumara mt kings, Brazilian rainbow boas, rosy boas, and western hognose, and keep Costa Rican black milks, gray-banded kings and blood pythons (whew...sounds like a lot when I type it all out ).

Whitman

Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 PM

Ranitomeya Imitators are pretty incredible. I keep some Ranitomeya Variabilis and it is crazy how similar they look to the Ranitomeya Imitator at first glance.

I keep a Bumblebee Ball Python and a Banana Ball Python. Pretty common snakes but I like their temperament and their beautiful coloring. Do you have any pics of your snakes that you'd be willing to share?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:04 PM

Leucs are so fun. They are such devious little rascals too! They use every inch of the enclosures I keep them in. I have a sub-adult group as well as a group of of them that are 6 or 7 months OOW. I also keep Phyllobates Vittatus, Ranitomeya Variabilis, Blue Jeans, Blue Sipaliwinis, Green Sipaliwinis, Dendrobates Auratus Green and Blacks as well as Blue and Black, Dendrobates Tinctorious Citronellas and Dendrobates Tinctorious Oyapocks. I recently sold 9 others to make room for some Mantella Arantiacas, Adelphobates Galactonus (Red Galacts), and some Mint Terribilis.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock2 View Post
Leucs are so fun. They are such devious little rascals too! They use every inch of the enclosures I keep them in. I have a sub-adult group as well as a group of of them that are 6 or 7 months OOW. I also keep Phyllobates Vittatus, Ranitomeya Variabilis, Blue Jeans, Blue Sipaliwinis, Green Sipaliwinis, Dendrobates Auratus Green and Blacks as well as Blue and Black, Dendrobates Tinctorious Citronellas and Dendrobates Tinctorious Oyapocks. I recently sold 9 others to make room for some Mantella Arantiacas, Adelphobates Galactonus (Red Galacts), and some Mint Terribilis.
Wow that is quite a collection! Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I keep some Ranitomeya Variabilis and it is crazy how similar they look to the Ranitomeya Imitator at first glance.
Yes, almost like they're...imitating them...

Seriously, though, Mullerian mimicry is wild.

Ball pythons are common; they are also really nice animals. I do have a normal male ball that I forgot to mention -- he's my retired feeder cleaner-upper.

I've attached a few poor quality pics of some cool snakes: mt. king, Ajo, AZ locale rosy boa, red blood python sitting on a clutch of slugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1025.jpg (20.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1071.jpg (33.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.jpg (62.2 KB, 3 views)
varanoid likes this.

Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 05-13-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Hello All,

I am an avid frogger residing in Utah for the last 10 years, originally from Idaho. I keep a variety of dart frogs as well as snakes and a White's Tree Frog. Frogs definitely have my heart though. I have been obsessed since I was very little. I have been looking for a like minded community of frog keepers and Dendroboard seems to be the place. Excited to chat, joke, network, educate myself etc. with all of you. If you read this, tell me what your favorite frog species is!

Have a great day,

-Amanda
Amanda,

Iím also from UT! From your name Iím guessing Southern UT? Iím in St George!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:18 AM

Those are beautiful snakes. We have a boa native to Utah that I have seen out here in the canyons. It's always incredible when you get to see them in their natural habitat.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:21 AM

I am actually from Utah County so much further north. However, I am a lover of the red rock landscape of Southern Utah. St. George is awesome... except for the record breaking heat days in the dead of summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to redrock2 For This Useful Post:
laylow (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:23 AM

Thanks! I am excited to get started.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:55 PM

Welcome! I’m in Utah County as well, but have a much smaller collection. Right now I’m just down to a breeding pair of Leucs and a small group of R amazonica that are just a few weeks OOW.