Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodswalker
  • 1 Post By Ravage
  • 1 Post By Ravage
  • 2 Post By varanoid
  • 1 Post By NexReverto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 PM

Smile New Member, Very Excited to Get Started!

Hello all! I am new to the hobby, recently reinvigorated by my GF who is also a fan of keeping amphibians. She found this forum so Ive been scanning the pages and created an account. I saw I needed to post here so, here I am!

I noticed the Vendor Feedback section and have seen a few posts about questionable online dealers (thank you all for putting those red flags up for those of us ignorant to the hobby) but I was wondering if there is a list or section of the forum where I could find a list of reputible large scale providers of frogs for my GF and I's first purchase. We are being very diligent with our planning and should be ready for froggings within a 6 - 7 months. So far I have determined from this site that the most frequently praised large scale dealers are; Joshs Frogs, NEHerp, Understory and Black Jungle. Are there any other major dealers I should be researching?

Thanks again!

-Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 02:18 AM

Default Re: New Member, Very Excited to Get Started!

It sounds like you're off to a good start. How lucky that both you and your lady companion are both into amphibians, too. At this point, sticking with the four vendors you mentioned should be sufficient while you're finding your way around the hobby. For now, if you haven't noticed them already, the stickies, located at the top of each subforum, will have a wealth of valuable information.

Selecting your species first is really ideal, allowing you to structure it around the behaviors of your inhabitants of choice. For example, terribilis like more horizontal space, where thumbnails tend to like to climb more. Leucs like ledges up high, and climbing surfaces. Shy frogs like an abundance of hiding places, while bold species may use them, but don't tend to require as many. What frogs interest you?
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:41 AM

Thanks, we're trying to be very fastidious and thorough in our process! We are currently in the process of deciding which species we would like. When I discovered mixing the community was a no-no we decided against a larger enclosure and instead plan for multiple enclosures so that we could enjoy many different species later on.
Personally I was first drawn in by D. tincs and auratus, eventually I would love to have a P. terribilis enclosure (my gf calls them 'Marilyn Manson' frogs lol). After seeing the possibility of them breeding we were both excited at the idea of tadpole rearing, so we wanted to make sure the enclosures could be suited for that.
We are attempting this on a budget as with most things these days, so Im using it as an opportunity to get plants quarantined and then established in a vivarium long before we actually purchase any frogs. I went looking for resources on what plants to avoid for PDF but all I found was that 'amphibians dont eat plants, so dont worry'. Are there any specific plants that I should definitely make sure to avoid?
Eventually I would like to include a water feature in a vivarium. I have heard more than once that PDF are not swimmers and will drown in open water, though I have also seen on many videos open containers of water in enclosures for depositing of eggs and even tadpole rearing. Is water more of a species specific characteristic of the PDF or is it simply a question of depth of water?
Thank you for the reply and forgive my ignorance, I am new to forums as well as PDF!

Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexReverto View Post
Are there any specific plants that I should definitely make sure to avoid?
Eventually I would like to include a water feature in a vivarium. I have heard more than once that PDF are not swimmers and will drown in open water, though I have also seen on many videos open containers of water in enclosures for depositing of eggs and even tadpole rearing. Is water more of a species specific characteristic of the PDF or is it simply a question of depth of water?
Thank you for the reply and forgive my ignorance, I am new to forums as well as PDF!
There are a ton of awesome plants that will do well in a dart frog environment. Watching the vivarium grow in is almost as rewarding as observing my frogs in my opinion. As far as plants to avoid, at first I would avoid anything that does not enjoy frequent watering, such as many succulents. As you get experience you will learn where you can place some plants where they will do better for you, and increase the variety of plants you keep successfully.

As for a water feature, you will hear a wide variety of opinions. I personally don't have them any more. Not because I believe they pose any sort of risk to the frog, but because of the problems I have encountered with them in the past.

The containers you mention are probably placed in tanks for egg laying and depositing tadpoles. They are an excellent way to have a body of contained water that are low maintenance, and give you little trouble.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 PM

May I ask what were the issues you had with a water feature. By no means is it an immediate necessity. My first build my goal is healthy, happy frogs. Aesthetics can come later when I'm more adapt at caring for them.
Thank you for the advice on water and plants. I would never forgive myself for including a toxic plant that harmed my froggies.
I wanted to have D. tinc Azures but Im now a bit concerned about ending up with a pair of females or 2 females and a male and not have a secondary viv ready to isolate should their be issues. Do all tincs have this social dilemma or are the Azures unique in that respect. Im thinking with the size they can grow to, ease of care and ease of breeding tincs would be a good starter pdf. Im learning towards powder blue / Patricia. Are those more stable genus for 3-4 frog enclosures?
Old 05-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Im learning towards powder blue / Patricia. Are those more stable genus for 3-4 frog enclosures?
Tincts do well in groups until they reach breeding age. Once a dominant pair are working on establishing they may haze, or even kill the others. You'll see the behaviours, wrestling, someone hiding at the top of the tank, etc. That's when you want to thin it out to a M/F pair. Having a simple 10 gallon built as a "grow-out" will give you some flexibility if you have to pull a frog, for whatever reason, and eventually raise some froglets. I always try to have more "beds" than guests and even starting out if you can swing it, you'll be happy you did.
Patricia's are awesome, I just got some myself.
varanoid likes this.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:33 PM

That's what I've heard of tincs, I would prefer to not have to isolate them as adults, everyone needs a friend but without knowing the gender there's a good chance I'll end up with a pair of females.
Are there a species of Auratus that don't eat each other's eggs or is that just a common thing for that genus? My gf and I are now at the step of deciding which will be our first frogs so we can plan to design the enclosure to best suit them. I got a 18 x 18 x24 exo terra and was planning on utilizing the height by having a meandering path up the back with a nice cushion of plants in the main area if they decide to go free diving.
We are between tincs (Patricia, powder blues, Azures) or Auratus my girl is partial to the bronze and teal variety, think highland bronze from josh's frogs. Which means I guess we're choosing between horny female squabbles or jealous egg eating females. We would like to breed and would also like tadpoles that are less cannibalistic.
Given all of that do you have a suggestion on what might be best for us to start with?
Old 05-04-2019, 10:26 PM

They will have friends, just in pairs. And Male male pairs seem to be fine. I have highlands Bronze Auratus, and they are beautiful. The problem being you almost never see them. Secretive folks those HB's. I have plenty of frogs I can see, so there's no problem with Auratus sightings just a little more frequent than the Big Foot kind.
If you want to keep a group and have them stay that way, I would suggest terribilis. They are easy to keep and hang out in together in peace, love and harmony. They will need enough room to get away from each other for sexy time when they are adults. They are larger than most other Darts, so you'll want a bigger vivarium to begin with, but if that sounds doable: they may be your frog of choice. Being the most toxic vertebrate in the wild makes them pretty fearless. If you want a flashy frog that will be out to show friends when they come to visit (as well as a great story) P. terribilis may very well be a good choice.
varanoid likes this.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:44 AM

Great advice thank you! I do want some terribilis but I'm quite certain the gf wants a "brightly multi colored frog" and the terribilis just don't have the same disco pop for her. We were planning on getting 3 initially so my worry is that if I have to isolate a D. Tinc I won't have a 4th for a companion. I've seen the price of sexed frogs and im not confident enough in the hobby to invest so much in a single frog quite yet(if I were to isolate one I'd want a mate for them) .
If auratus are really that shy though it may have to be tincs to start (if the gf is happy she won't mind when the tanks start to take over...I hope). Is there a genus of tincs that is the most community minded or are they all kinda scrappy?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Is there a genus of tincs that is the most community minded or are they all kinda scrappy?
The genus is Dendrobates. The species is tinctorious. And then they are differentiated by morph/locale. All tincs are scrappy and territorial. Do not mix morphs/locales.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Great advice thank you! I do want some terribilis but I'm quite certain the gf wants a "brightly multi colored frog" and the terribilis just don't have the same disco pop for her. We were planning on getting 3 initially so my worry is that if I have to isolate a D. Tinc I won't have a 4th for a companion.
I would personally recommend Dendrobates luecomelas, the bumble bee dart frog. They are outstanding frogs with sharp contrasting colors, bold behavior, beautiful call, do great in groups, and very hardy.
Ravage and cichlidkid like this.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanoid View Post
The genus is Dendrobates. The species is tinctorious. And then they are differentiated by morph/locale. All tincs are scrappy and territorial. Do not mix morphs/locales.
Thank you, Ive only just begun to understand the scientific ids. We do not plan on mixing morphs
varanoid likes this.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanoid View Post
I would personally recommend Dendrobates luecomelas, the bumble bee dart frog. They are outstanding frogs with sharp contrasting colors, bold behavior, beautiful call, do great in groups, and very hardy.
They are on the Top 5 list! Are they prolific breeders? Ive heard both sides
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
They are on the Top 5 list! Are they prolific breeders? Ive heard both sides
Depends on who you ask. For me they were very off and on. They would produce prolifically for extended periods of time and then nothing for extended periods of time. Like a year on and a year off for me. I kept mine on a regular routine in terms of misting and feeding. People have reported that you can have more predictable results by emulating seasons.