Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sherm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2019, 11:43 AM

Default Hello and thanks for having me!

I am new to the hobby and have enjoyed reading all the valuable information on this site. I am creating a 24x18x24 bio-active vivarium with a custom foam background. I am hoping to add 4-5 Ranitomeya imitator 'Varadero' PDFs in 2-3 months time, after the vivarium has had a chance to cycle, and allow the resident plants time to establish. I will be using Hydroton as a drainage layer, followed by a substrate barrier. Then ABG mix, then Sphagnum moss(right?), then leaf litter. I will add springtails and isopods to the viv, and make sure it stays moist with a MistKing. I will be using a Current Satellite Pro 24 inch LED light, and would love some input on how to heat the viv. I was going to use either heat tape or a heat pad and a thermostat. Anyone see any glaring issues with my proposed build?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 11:28 PM

Welcome! Sounds like a great setup! Seems like you’ve done some good research but I do have a couple suggestions. For heating I would recommend a heating coil in the substrate paired with a thermostat. I know not everybody loves them, but this has worked really well for me. Also, just a reminder that temps above 85 are lethal and should ideally be in the mid 70s, so sometimes you may find that with your lights and everything going, the challenge can be keeping temps low enough for your frogs to thrive. Although since you are using LEDs that may not be an issue for you. Also, a note about your species choice. Imitators do better kept in pairs as adults. If you are set on imitators, once you think you have a male-female pair, it’s good to separate them out. There are other thumbnails that do better in groups if you want to keep a group. A great beginner choice is the closely related Ranitomeya ventrimaculatus. Anyways, keep up the good research! Hopefully you’ll find this to be a great resource. Best of luck!
rmingers likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Hello and thanks for having me!

Thank you for your quality suggestions. I have a heating coil and a computer fan which will be hooked to a thermostat for temperature regulation. I will not be getting any PDFs for at least 2-3 months as I am in the process of moving to CT (NEherp here I come!). I figure I won't make my vivarium into a PDF enclosure until then. Plus I need time to customize my background, get my plants established, learn the intricacies of FF culturing, etc.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmingers View Post
I am new to the hobby and have enjoyed reading all the valuable information on this site. I am creating a 24x18x24 bio-active vivarium with a custom foam background. I am hoping to add 4-5 Ranitomeya imitator 'Varadero' PDFs in 2-3 months time, after the vivarium has had a chance to cycle, and allow the resident plants time to establish. I will be using Hydroton as a drainage layer, followed by a substrate barrier. Then ABG mix, then Sphagnum moss(right?), then leaf litter. I will add springtails and isopods to the viv, and make sure it stays moist with a MistKing. I will be using a Current Satellite Pro 24 inch LED light, and would love some input on how to heat the viv. I was going to use either heat tape or a heat pad and a thermostat. Anyone see any glaring issues with my proposed build?
You shouldn't require supplemental heat. Room temperature is fine for dart frogs. Generally the tank will be a few degrees above ambient temperature from just the heat the lights produce. Actually, excessive heat above the mid eighties is more of a concern than lower temps.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:04 AM

My house is 60F in the winter, 74F in the summer. That's a pretty big swing, which was why I have both heating and cooling in mind.