Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 03:30 PM

Unhappy What a horrible reason for today's introduction

I am absolutely crushed. I am a pdf noob and killed one of my two Auratus Blu&Blk tadpoles. They both had just popped their back legs just a couple days ago. I've had their viv built for 3 weeks now which is saying a lot because I am on disability and typically both funding and energy is very low. In an unusual burst of health, my hubby took me to a reptile show a couple cities away and I was completely thrown by my infatuation with dart frogs. I had never even considered them as a pet before that day. I've been slaves to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguana and currently have a gray tree frog, anole lizards, a bullfrog raised from a pond tad and a yearling Eastern painted turtle. I knew I'd have time to learn about these adorable creatures and build a proper home if I got them as tads. Creating the tropical environment was a new challenge, but after stalking this board for a couple weeks I purchased the supplies and spent the next couple building the Viv using the spray foam method. Things have been going pretty well. I am past the mold. I have both Isotopes and springtails already established. I've been playing around with the heat because I have a hard time keeping it above 70 because our house is kept at a constant 68 due to illness. I was moving a heat lamp around and it apparently slipped down and rested against one of my tadpole containers. I have been obsessing almost hourly about these babies the past month-and-a-half and it only took 4 hours of watching a movie for me to kill one of my babies. The lamp heated the water too warm. I am absolutely crushed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 03:57 PM

Default Re: What a horrible reason for today's introduction

I'm sorry you've hit a hitch in your new project. Hopefully you'll use the experience to improve things as you go forward. Animals do die, and sometimes it is our fault. Most of us have been there.

If you do decide to continue to raise the temps for your tad (though I'm not certain it is necessary), a thermostatically controlled low-wattage solution, such as an incubator or heat mat on a thermostat, would give a greater margin of safety.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:23 PM

Yeah. Forgot to mention that heat mats are how I'm going. Got a few around here. I probably should have specified that I was trying to increase the temperature in the vivarium and not in the tadpole water. It was just too close.

So sad that 10 can make such a difference. But I guess were seeing that in global warming out in the wild too.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:42 PM

Here's a pic of the finished viv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190411_100215.jpg (66.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetysvoice View Post
I probably should have specified that I was trying to increase the temperature in the vivarium and not in the tadpole water. It was just too close.
Ah, I understand the setup now. At a room temp of 68F, the lighting on the viv ought to be sufficient for heating the viv; a minimum of 65 is fine for auratus, I believe. You shouldn't need any more heating than that.

Quote:
So sad that 10 can make such a difference.
Yes, ectothermic animals are sensitive to temp changes; likely the tads experienced a fall in dissolved oxygen in the water secondary to the temp rise (warm water holds less O2).

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 04-20-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: *ectothermic*
Old 04-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Neat looking viv! I like the hardscape.

Have you grown Sarracenia in a viv before? I'm under the impression that is a challenging viv subject.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Thanks! It was fun to build! Honestly, no I havent grown Sarracenia before at all. The nursery here helped me with the plants and he said that it was the perfect environment for it so I thought I'd give it a try. So far so good. Its the only one that didn't have issues or growing pains the first few weeks. What concerns have others had?
Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
What concerns have others had?
It is a temperate (not tropical) plant, and so needs a winter dormancy. Or so I read; I've not grown them.