No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By varanoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 PM

Default Hi All, newbie starting a 36x36x18 Exo Terra viv/ paludarium

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for any inadvertent errors or posts in the wrong place, total newbie here trying to get to grips with everything.

I have a large glass Exo Terra viv that I am hoping to use as a paludarium set up for frogs and a couple of small fish/shrimp.

Currently getting everything together and trying to get an image of the final layout I want in my mind first, Im veering towards trying a totally raised false floor to ensure I can get the max amount of water volume whilst still keep the land from being soaked, a raised land would be finished above the water line and then the gap camouflaged with moss and cork bark (also gives anything falling in the water something to climb out on.

I want to hide a filter under the raised land in a way that I can still get to it for filter changes and in the event it dies and needs replacing, Id like to use the pump output to make a water fall feature, hidden pipework would be put in foam, coco, moss and cork bark background to take electrical wire and to plumb in fogged so that it fogged from the water bank side where the waterfall trickled in.

Like I say this is all just ideas at moment, I seem to get a few ideas then talk myself out of half of them, I think I need to be brave and just start it at some point and see where it takes me.

Any advice and or build photos from anyone who has already done anything similar or who has put a decent size water area in a viv would be hugely helpful, Im not above taking all the help going if it means I avoid costly or potentially dangerous (to the inhabitants) mistakes

Cheers all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Hi All, newbie starting a 36x36x18 Exo Terra viv/ paludarium

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have quite an ambitious project in your head. I'm not a proponent of mixing species personally and the setup you are describing is more work and maintenance than I am willing to put in. I'd much rather spend my time observing my frogs. But to each their own. The search function will lead you to a countless number of threads trying to achieve exactly what you are describing. Good luck
Woodswalker likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:30 PM

Thanks Varanoid,

I know this is going to be a labour of love and a contentious subject for some but I come from a background of tropical aquariums for many years and I have a panther chameleon in the same viv type as I have for the new build.

I now want to combine both passions, looking around I have seen a lot of useful advice on here already, my initial thoughts are the two points I need to give more thought to design wise are how to ensure the water section does not drown the landscape section out and how best to do the small running (when I say running I mean a slight trickle not mini rapids) water feature

Aquatic species wise I was only thinking maybe a few cherry shrimp and a small pair of albino corydoras. ( I want dark substrate and the albino corys busying about just add to the water dimension I think.)

Any and all views and advice gratefully received, no ones ever to big to learn something from someone who has been there, made the mistake and paid twice to do right the second time 😉

Old 04-04-2019, 10:34 PM

Just to clarify when I say combine both passions I am not implying putting a panther Cham in with fish lol, i mean mixing a passion for vivariums and aquariums to hopefully end up with the paludarium.

Thought I best clarify that before someone jumped all over me lol 😉