No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Nebula Mel
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2019, 10:39 PM

Default New here and new to the hobby

Hello everyone, glad to be here, like the title says, I'm a total noob lol. What got me interested is my boss at work got a salt water tank and I think it's very cool. Now I'm planning on moving to a new spot with a little more space and I started doing the research to get an aquarium, but quickly decided maybe the aquarium wasn't for me.. I started worrying about something catastrophic happening, and I don't want 30 gallons of salt water on my floors lol, so I shifted my thinking to a terrarium/vivarium. I remember watching some animal documentary and learning that poison dart frogs aren't poisonous in captivity and I thought that would be so cool.

So the plan is to move into my new spot, hopefully in May, and get some frogs, eventually lol.. mostly I've just been reading a lot of information about everything and watching some YouTube videos. I figure I'll get a 20-29 gallon vivarium set up and leave it for 2-3 months and see if I can maintain the right conditions before adding frogs. I love thumbnail frogs because of their small size and some of them are obligate feeders? They take care of their young right? Super cool, I'm really excited to see that, I haven't been to any local shops yet but there are a couple in the area, and there's going to be a Repticon show at the end of April that I want to check out for sure.

My favorite frogs are oophaga typographica, the blue jeans frogs! But after looking at some pictures I'm starting to also really like the oophaga pumilio rio colubre and oophaga pumilio loma colubre.

I didn't really mean to ramble on so much but, there it is lol. Thanks for accepting me into the community, I'm looking forward to learning more about frogs here.
fattypratty and Do_Gon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 02:15 AM

Default Re: New here and new to the hobby

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 PM

Welcome to the forum, there is a wealth of knowledge here that will help you out. Seems you have taken a liking to obligates. Obligate egg feeders are more expensive than some of the other darts available to the hobby. But don't let me dissuade you if obligates are what you want to keep, they are great frogs and their care is nearly identical. Good luck with your move and welcome once again.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:19 PM

Thanks! Glad to be here.

I don't have a lot of plans yet but I think I want to have a water feature in the tank, nothing fancy and I know the frogs can't swim so I was thinking no pond or anything, maybe just water falling against some rocks pooling in a little plate or something.. still something I'm thinking about lol.

I was wondering though, do I need a bigger tank for a water feature? What's the smallest tank I can get with a water feature?
Old 03-29-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula Mel View Post
Thanks! Glad to be here.

I don't have a lot of plans yet but I think I want to have a water feature in the tank, nothing fancy and I know the frogs can't swim so I was thinking no pond or anything, maybe just water falling against some rocks pooling in a little plate or something.. still something I'm thinking about lol.

I was wondering though, do I need a bigger tank for a water feature? What's the smallest tank I can get with a water feature?
If you decide on doing a water feature, make sure to do your homework. There are plenty of threads on this forum on the subject to help you out.

When adding a water feature to a tank, keep in mind that it reduces the usable space by the frogs. The amount of usable space that is lost depends on the size of your water feature. So you would in fact need a bigger tank than the minimum sized tank you would require without a water feature. The minimum size tank is going to be a debatable subject.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:49 PM

Welcome!

I get a big kick out of my Ranitomeya imitator. They are egg-feeders as well, and are less expensive and more readily available than Oophaga.

There are also multiple locales of legally imported imitators in the hobby; finding and affording Oophaga of known legal provenance can be more challenging.
varanoid likes this.

-- Orwell
Old 03-30-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanoid View Post

If you decide on doing a water feature, make sure to do your homework. There are plenty of threads on this forum on the subject to help you out.

When adding a water feature to a tank, keep in mind that it reduces the usable space by the frogs. The amount of usable space that is lost depends on the size of your water feature. So you would in fact need a bigger tank than the minimum sized tank you would require without a water feature. The minimum size tank is going to be a debatable subject.
I've read this before and if I turn half of the bottom part of the tank into a pond or something, I understand that is much less space for the frogs... however I'm thinking maybe a small drip wall into a small plate the water can pool into, something small enough and shallow enough that the frogs could stand in it.. and I guess here's my first question, would they? And second, if the frogs could/ would stand in the water, then am I really losing usable space for the frogs? Does the space lost come from like, the equipment? Can't I hide most of that outside the tank? Thanks in advance for putting up with my ignorance lol...
Old 03-30-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Welcome!

I get a big kick out of my Ranitomeya imitator. They are egg-feeders as well, and are less expensive and more readily available than Oophaga.

There are also multiple locales of legally imported imitators in the hobby; finding and affording Oophaga of known legal provenance can be more challenging.
Thanks for the welcome 😃

The ranitomeya imitator was one of the first frogs I looked at, I like the varaderos and reticulata, with the orange/ red backs and the blue legs lol, I really like the red and blue coloring, I think it would be really cool to see in a tank, do you have any pictures of your frogs you could share?

I've tried to not look at too many frogs that are green or yellow, or have those colors, I'm afraid those colors will blend into the tank too easily and be difficult to find or see. I don't know if that's particularly true or not, but it's steered me towards the red/ blue colored frogs lol.

I feel like I'm still far away from actually getting frogs but once I get there, I would totally consider a Ranitomeya imitator if I couldn't find the oophaga frogs I want.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I feel like I'm still far away from actually getting frogs but once I get there, I would totally consider a Ranitomeya imitator if I couldn't find the oophaga frogs I want.
Sounds good, take your time, and what ever you get continue to do your research.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:07 AM

I'm not much of a picture taker, sorry. Not being a smartphone user seems to equate with not being a picture taker, nowdays. I should try to take some pics one of these days to share. There is lots of eye candy here if you use the search bar to find the frogs you're interested in (and lots you didn't realize you were interested in).

Ranitomeya reticulata is a completely different frog, and not for beginners, so I've read. I keep 'green' (look exactly like 'Cainarachi Valley', which is a legal locale frog) and 'Iquitos'. The greens might blend in more if you are looking from across the room, but they're the ones I watch more -- my pair happens to be more bold, and more interactive with each other.

How a frog looks has almost nothing to do with how much you'll watch them and see them, nor how much you'll enjoy them, I'll wager. A frog (or any animal, for that matter) that is purple with yellow flashing spots and Jesus' face on its back will soon become boring if it doesn't have interesting behaviors or grasp your attention in some other way.

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome 😃

The ranitomeya imitator was one of the first frogs I looked at, I like the varaderos and reticulata, with the orange/ red backs and the blue legs lol, I really like the red and blue coloring, I think it would be really cool to see in a tank, do you have any pictures of your frogs you could share?

I've tried to not look at too many frogs that are green or yellow, or have those colors, I'm afraid those colors will blend into the tank too easily and be difficult to find or see. I don't know if that's particularly true or not, but it's steered me towards the red/ blue colored frogs lol.

-- Orwell
Old 04-04-2019, 03:00 AM

Okay, so I was originally thinking about getting a small tank but after doing some more youtube research lol, I think I want to go a little bigger... I'm looking to get an exo terra 24x18x24, I think it's medium tall. I found them online at Petco for 230 with free shipping, but they have the 24x18x36 on sale for like 260 lol, just something to consider.. and if I pre order it from josh's frogs for a trade show pick up, I could get the tank for 130, but I've got to go to a show for that lol, the next show that they are going to is in Vegas, May 18 I think, which might be fun, but I'm not looking forward to waiting.. I've been checking craigslist and like letgo/offerup, but not having very much luck.

I also watched a youtube video where someone made a the background of his tank like a drip wall, and he had the left part and front part of the tank had no hydroballs or whatever they are, so it looked like a moat... and I really like the idea of having a moat, I'm hoping that will keep bugs and frogs away from the front doors and hopefully nothing will be able to get out when I've got the doors open... I've seen some videos where the bugs are just crawling out and some frogs too and I don't want that in my tank lol...
Old 04-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Okay, so I was originally thinking about getting a small tank but after doing some more youtube research lol, I think I want to go a little bigger... I'm looking to get an exo terra 24x18x24, I think it's medium tall. I found them online at Petco for 230 with free shipping, but they have the 24x18x36 on sale for like 260 lol, just something to consider.. and if I pre order it from josh's frogs for a trade show pick up, I could get the tank for 130, but I've got to go to a show for that lol, the next show that they are going to is in Vegas, May 18 I think, which might be fun, but I'm not looking forward to waiting.. I've been checking craigslist and like letgo/offerup, but not having very much luck.

I also watched a youtube video where someone made a the background of his tank like a drip wall, and he had the left part and front part of the tank had no hydroballs or whatever they are, so it looked like a moat... and I really like the idea of having a moat, I'm hoping that will keep bugs and frogs away from the front doors and hopefully nothing will be able to get out when I've got the doors open... I've seen some videos where the bugs are just crawling out and some frogs too and I don't want that in my tank lol...
Bigger is always better in my opinion. The frogs will certainly appreciate it.

I wouldn't say that a moat will help prevent escapees, certainly not bugs. They can crawl on the glass and escape above the moat easily. Furthermore water features introduce their own unique challenges, whether they have moving water or not. Make sure to do your homework regarding them.