Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2019, 10:34 PM

Default All the research in the world...

....but nothing compares you for the first few weeks of owning a Dart Frog.

So we're in week two of Dart Frog ownership and we've probably crossed off everything on the massive thread about things you will do.

I have a Ranitomeya Iquitos that I want to look at as he hasn't really left a single brom since being added to the viv and looks way way smaller than the rest so I want to see it eat and take a look close look at it as he appears to not move freely.

As a new starter is there any guidance to doing this, Can I use a distilled water cleaned plastic pot with a lid and simply add some leaf and moss to give me a chance to put it in with some spring tails and flies?

https://ibb.co/p1WrQ0L

Last edited by LCBeckett; 03-27-2019 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 10:39 PM

Default Re: All the research in the world...

And if the frog chooses to spend it's time in that particular spot. Do I need to make sure the water that sits in its base is flushed out and clean periodically, how often?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:54 PM

Apologies for this being my first post. Had planned to do a build post as I found it incredibly useful when I was setting up to view other peoples.

Viv is a 18x18x24 that has been built since the start of the new year. Not the greatest picture as it makes it look darker than it is. In it are 4 x Ranitomeya Amazonica. I did a ridiculous amount of man hours on youtube before building but already on week 2 I have things I would now do different if I were to do it again based on how I've seen the frogs use the vivarium.

https://ibb.co/M1n31Rs

Old 03-28-2019, 01:25 AM

I don't have answers, but perhaps if you say more about the viv, how many frogs, environmental parameters, maybe a couple pics, folks can rule out some things (aggression, viv design issues).

I'd be tempted to not mess with a possibly stressed animal until I knew that moving it would be beneficial.
varanoid likes this.

-- Orwell
Old 03-28-2019, 08:06 AM

There is a picture of the frog in the first post and a picture of the vivarium in my follow up. The viv is a 18x18x24 Exo with 2 sides foam and coco landscaped. There are 3 branches out into the higher areas and it has been planted for a couple of months (but not all the plants).

Plants were sourced from Rainforest Vivs, Bioherps and other Amphibian suppliers apart from the Guzmanias Bromeliad which came from a local supermarket but has been out of soil and in our kitchen in the open for 2 months.

Temperature wise we're running at around the 22 mark. It raises a little to around 24 during the day and again for the hour the heating kicks in at night if we have a cold day here in the UK. Since the frogs have been in it hasn't dipped below 19. I'm reading the temp about 3/4 way up at the back near where the heat pad is (stuck to the outside behind the landscape) so there will be a lower temp further forward in the viv.

Humidity seems ok, as it reads high on the Exoterra meter (which I read are unreliable) but we've misted manually twice a day and it goes from wet after misting to plants being dry later before we manually mist again. You can feel the humidity as you put your hand in.

The front half of the viv is flexiglass to keep humidity up, replacing the exoterra mesh, the back mesh was left on so the the UVB light could still get through for circulation and I run a couple of computer fans outside the mesh for short periods 2 or 3 times a day to aide pushing fresh air in.

Food wise, the viv was really well stocked with springtails before the frogs arrival and they can still be seen around the leaves and in the areas the frogs do not habitat. I've fed fruit flies (the smaller ones, melangaster? ) small amounts once or twice a day while I worked out if there were flies left over to get the feeding levels. Yesterday I didn't feed as there were flies left.

4 frogs, Ranitomeya Amazonica from a local Reptile supplier. He collected them on the way back from Hamm for us as a specific order and kept them for a week after the journey to check on them for us.

ABG substrate and Exoterra leaf litter, with some branded moss in-between.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:36 PM

I'm not sure how I missed that viv picture. Looks nice!

I flush out broms maybe twice a week, using a wash bottle (https://www.amazon.com/Bel-Art-Scien...ustrial&sr=1-1).

I'm guessing the frog you're concerned about is simply the smaller one of the bunch; I doubt in 2 weeks the others have outgrown that one. It looks as if there's a spot light (UVB?) on that frog's preferred brom; perhaps the frog simply likes the conditions there.

If you want to see him eat, you could (so long as the frogs seem to be not already starving) withhold food for 3 or 4 days, and then drop a generous amount of FFs right around where that frog hangs out. I know your frogs are new to the viv, but once established most frogs can go a week without FFs easily.

Maybe someone else will chime in here with info I don't know (I keep thumbs, but not amazonica), but personally I'd just keep an eye on things without getting too worried. The viv and parameters sound great, so unless you're certain that frog is the target of aggression (it doesn't seem like it to me; he's right out there in the open) I don't know that pulling him out would solve anything.

-- Orwell
Old 03-28-2019, 06:54 PM

Its a double Exo canopy. I have the UVB on the left (not directly above the brom) and a jungle dawn above the plants (mainly because the size of the UVB means it doesn't fit the way I'd prefer.) I suspect it is slightly warmer on the right. The plan is to get another Guzmania to give them more choice and to try and stop all 4 being within 1 plant although I'm not worried about aggression as I've seen no evidence apart from him being so buried within the brom that the others go onto the same leaf.

His particular chosen leaf faces out into the viv where the bigger ones claimed the sheltered leaves so maybe its just because of the fact it faces out into the viv he buries himself so deep.

It's really difficult not to over analyse everything, you just want to do what is best for the animals.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBeckett View Post
....but nothing compares you for the first few weeks of owning a Dart Frog.
Boy, ain't that the truth!!! I have a few more grey hairs over the last week and a half