1st post, with a serious question. Broken ExoTerra base, glass or acrylic replacement - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 PM

Question 1st post, with a serious question. Broken ExoTerra base, glass or acrylic replacement

I just got a new Exo Terra 18x18x24” terrarium in the mail. The bottom glass unfortunately arrived with a nice big straight clean crack (I’ll post image if needed). Thankfully the company it was purchased from is replacing the entire terrarium and letting me keep the damaged unit.
•The Plan:
Get a piece of glass or acrylic cut to size... put a bead of safe silicone down, then drop the new piece into place over the cracked glass and add another silicone bead around that to ensure a proper seal. I’ll leave the old broken glass because, why not? ...knowing my luck I’ll lose a finger or something during the removal process.
•The Question:
I’m only able to find 1/16” (“or something like that” - Lowes employee over the phone) glass locally... I live in a very rural town. However, the store also carries acrylic in many thicknesses, including 1/8”(which is the same thickness of the broken piece) as well as 1/4”. What would be the preferred material and thickness for this application? I’ll be using hydroton for the drainage layer and was considering integrating a waterfall feature into the great stuff background that I’ll be creating. I wanted to throw that info out there in case it changes anyone’s thoughts on the required material or thickness needed.

Thanks in advance for any insights, thoughts or experiences you may be able to help me out with!

By the way, I’ve been looking around this forum for a while, I will eventually keep dart frogs, but currently I’m only housing plants in the terrarium. I have quite a few begonia species and other tropicals. I’ll give a run-down and include some pictures once I get the terrarium up and running.

Best and most kind regards,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 10:59 PM

Default Re: 1st post, with a serious question. Broken ExoTerra base, glass or acrylic replace

*Update*
Picked up a 16 7/8”x16 7/8”x1/4” piece of acrylic as well as a tube of GE silicone 1 (clear) I put a bead of silicone along the top of the crack and around the inside bottom of the enclosure. I then slid the new acrylic down into place and added silicone around its edge. I smoothed out the bead and made sure I had adequately filled the gap. Now, I’m just going to wait.

I received an email from the company I bought the enclosure from which stated that my replacement Exo Terra had been shipped. I checked the tracking info and the replacement will be here on Saturday (2 days from now). So I’m thinking, by the time the silicone is dry and cured on the repair job, the replacement enclosure will be here. I wish I had the time and resources to setup and play with both of these.

In the mail today, I found my Macodes Petola had arrived... it’s so much more impressive than any pictures I’ve ever seen online. This terrarium is going to be so gorgeous when I’m done planting it. I already have a few of the plants that will be going inside. Such as:
•Begonia pavonina
•Begonia amphioxus
•Begonia rajah
•Macodes petola
•Marcgravia sp. (Ecuador)
•Neoregelias (randoms)
•Tillandsia (a few random species)
•Biophytum sensitivum
•Pellonia pulchra
and many many other plants that I have around that have yet to be decided whether or not they’ll be going inside.

Besides black jungle, in search of small things and glassbox tropicals... what are some other sites that carry terrarium culture plant species? Are there any members on here who are selling plants?

One last question... where does everyone host their images? It doesn’t appear as though this site allows uploads.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:36 AM

Default Re: 1st post, with a serious question. Broken ExoTerra base, glass or acrylic replace

A little late, but: silicone does not bond to acrylic. Your viv may not be waterproof. You may get leaking frog water onto whatever the viv sits on at a time when it is not at all convenient.

On images: Check out the FAQ (upper left of this page). Specifically, this:https://www.dendroboard.com/forum
/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s
...but the entire FAQ section is worth reading.

On plants: check out the classifieds section of the forum.

- Whitman

Old 04-02-2019, 12:45 AM

You could try tile or a piece of slate. Use silicone and possibly some waterproof black Great Stuff foam (green bottle). If you are already planning on using expanding foam for your setup anyway, that might be the way to go. It's about $6 a bottle. You could put some underneath for more sticking power. It could be used to cover up the tile/slate as well.

Tags
acrylic, glass bottom, introduction, terrarium repair