Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2019, 07:47 PM

Default Vivarium up and running..... no frogs yet!

Hello Dendroboard! My name is Lou and I'm a new member here. I have a vivarium up and running at the moment, and it is currently housing a Green Anole, but my objective is to turn it into a dart frog habitat over the summer. I'm not sure which species I will go with, so I'm still in the planning phase.

A development that I'm currently dealing with is that ants have taken up residence in my vivarium, and I don't know if I should put it out on the patio overnight to freeze them out, or if I should allow them to stay and be a food source for my future frog residents. Is it possible that the frogs would develop toxicity if I allowed them to eat ants?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Vivarium up and running..... no frogs yet!

I'd leave the ants as future food unless they are a danger to the frogs for some reason.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopyKat58 View Post
I'd leave the ants as future food unless they are a danger to the frogs for some reason.
That was my thought as well. The only unknown is whether or not eating ants could result in the frogs becoming poisonous. I believe that I read somewhere that its their ant diet in the wild which makes them toxic. I don't know if North American ants could induce a similar toxicity. I have no intentions of ever handling my frogs, but I do have kids in the house and you never know what might happen with that situation.

Thanks for the response.

Lou

Old 03-27-2019, 02:42 AM

Welcome, Lou!

There are hundreds (literally: 722) of threads here that mention ants -- type 'ants' into the search bar on top of this page. Interestingly, this trick works for nearly any search term!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Welcome, Lou!

There are hundreds (literally: 722) of threads here that mention ants -- type 'ants' into the search bar on top of this page. Interestingly, this trick works for nearly any search term!
Lol, right! The search function is my friend! I'll have to look at the ant threads. With 722 threads, I should be able to find what I'm looking for!

Lou
Old 03-27-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou In Reno View Post
A development that I'm currently dealing with is that ants have taken up residence in my vivarium, and I don't know if I should put it out on the patio overnight to freeze them out,
Lou
If your tank is planted, putting the tank outside to freeze it would likely kill the plants and microfauna as well.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:36 PM

Don’t know if you know Travis, but check out tcs dart frogs. He’s in your area.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou In Reno View Post
I believe that I read somewhere that its their ant diet in the wild which makes them toxic. I don't know if North American ants could induce a similar toxicity.
I wouldn't worry too much of toxicity. Only Ph. Terribilis and, a bit less, Aurotenia and Bicolor can retain alchaloids in their skin to be considered "poisonous"...and this means a continuous feeding of "alchaloid source" insects which would not be your case (assuming you would mostly feed on FFs). Other thumbnails are no threat at all for humans and this is why they are called "poison dart frogs" only in the hobby, while people living where frogs actually leave, rather call them "painted frogs"...

My 2cents on ants: remove them.
Ants (depending on the species) will defend themselves with formic acid and painful bites, painful enough for a human...you can tell what this would do to the soft thin skin of a frog. You can give it a try but get rid of an ant colony well established in a vivarium will surely be a pain, especially when you will have frogs already in.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:59 AM

SAUCE: http://www.understoryenterprises.com...drobatidae.pdf