• 1 Post By kblack3
  • 1 Post By kblack3
  • 1 Post By Yossarian
  • 2 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By varanoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 03:51 AM

Default New to the hobby and the site

Hey, my name is Lisa. I wanna start making terrariums for my orchids and Iím starting my first build with a 12x12x18 tank. Iím using egg crate for the false bottom and want to glue rocks around it to hide the crate and build up the sides like a bowl to keep soil separate from the water feature. Iíve spent some time learning the basics for terrarium builds but thereís nothing like learning directly from people with experience so here I am. Right now Iím looking for something I can use to glue rocks to rocks and wondering if I can use hot glue or silicone, or maybe something specifically made for the task?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 03:57 AM

Last edited by Yossarian; 03-10-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:14 AM

Default Re: New to the hobby and the site

I used the foam then carved it back. The black foam and it was very successful the have some specifically for koi ponds that works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kmitrain likes this.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblack3 View Post
I used the foam then carved it back. The black foam and it was very successful the have some specifically for koi ponds that works very well.

For glueing the rocks or for the background? I bought some pond foam for the background when I get to it first I wanna finish the false bottom and figure out where my tubes for the pump will go.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:24 AM

I would check the manufacturer recommendations for constantly submerged foam. I see no reason why it couldnít be used as it is a sealant for cracks in artificial ponds and streams. Also consider using the reef epoxy. Its aquarium safe and small amounts could be applied to the back of the stones and in the stacking. Thatís how I made many reef structures stick well was the epoxy.

kmitrain likes this.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblack3 View Post
I would check the manufacturer recommendations for constantly submerged foam. I see no reason why it couldnít be used as it is a sealant for cracks in artificial ponds and streams. Also consider using the reef epoxy. Its aquarium safe and small amounts could be applied to the back of the stones and in the stacking. Thatís how I made many reef structures stick well was the epoxy.

I think I will get the epoxy, it might be easier for me than using the foam to glue the rocks since the foam will expand. Thanks for the tip
kmitrain likes this.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Epoxy putty is a great product; I've used it a lot in reefs. It doesn't 'stick' so much as it 'locks up', kind of like wall plaster sticks to the lath behind it by squishing through the spaces and forming 'keys' that harden in place. So rocks with lots of little pits and irregularities are bonded very securely, but smooth rocks not so much. If you use epoxy putty, be sure to glop putty in between two rock surfaces that have 'holds' like rock holds in rock climbing -- a place for your fingers to grab. The putty solidifies and locks the two pieces together.

Silicone adhesive/caulk is strong and cheap and effective, too. I've not used is on rocks, but if your rocks are smooth it might be worth a try. That's the route I'd go, but I usually have a good supply of silicone around. Be sure to get the 'aquarium safe' kind.
varanoid and kmitrain like this.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:07 PM

Are you married to the water feature? I think they look great, but they definitely add a level of complication that I am glad not to have to deal with. When I first started with vivs I had to have them. Now I avoid them and am not sure I would ever do one again. Ok never say never, I want some Ameerga which appreciate a little water movement.

Good luck with your orchid tank. I've always wanted to set one up. Please keep sharing your experience.
kmitrain likes this.