Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Amydillo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Default Newbie in planning stages

Hi there. I'm researching the idea of combining my love of orchids into a paludarium with as many different aquatic and herp species as I can. I transformed my son's Bearded Dragon tank into a bioactive and now I am hooked. Is it possible to combine dart frogs with small arboreal geckos, newt, fish, crustaceans, and inverts? I invision a tropical or subtropical paludarium with orchids (?) and other plants appropriate. Looking for sites with examples and wisdom from old hands at this. I'm not interested in breeding or having a large population of any one species.

Edit - Is it doable to just have a couple frogs with fish and fiddler crabs? I see now that geckos are not recommended. How about one tiny green anole for the upper story? I'm looking at a 24x12x36 paludarium
Squibles likes this.

Last edited by Amydillo; 03-07-2019 at 04:26 PM. Reason: just read other posts - educated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Newbie in planning stages

I am new to the forum and will be following along die to having similar questions.

*Tagging Along*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Short answer on mixing animal species: no.

Longer answer: no, no, no.

Best answer: research. research, research. Use the search tool on the top of this page. This topic has been discussed hundreds of times. Learn about the species you're considering keeping, then keep them in a mono-specific viv until you learn that what you read on the internet is necessarily dumbed-down for clarity; in other words, you don't know what an animal needs until you've kept it for a longish time.

Fiddler crabs, I understand, are brackish water animals. This would be an absolute no-go with frogs.

Research, research, research.

P.S. orchids and frogs are a great mix. Search here for days and days and days of reading.

And: welcome to the forum!

Old 03-07-2019, 06:15 PM

I have not owned pdfs for very long, but I personally would avoid mixing species. It is better to avoid any risk of injury, stress, and potential predation from species to species. There may also be parasite, pathogens, etc that may be introduced by mixing species together. Not to mention competition. It just is not worth it. An orchid paludarium sounds awesome for Darts but no need to pack it full of different species if there is no benefit to any of them. Again, personal opinion.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:19 PM

I should have pointed out that there are stickied threads that pertain to this topic (in addition to all the info one can find by searching specific words/phrases):

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/be...ence-page.html

Tags
multispecies, orchids