Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 10:37 PM

Default Hello All!

Hi all, I've been lurking for a long time, dreaming of frogs but not pulling the trigger. However, I'm planning on getting my tiny rainbow buddies after a move in the next few years, and have started setting up a nano test vivarium, to make sure I get get it as close to right as possible while I don't have them.

Anywho, I have some odds and ends questions that the search function hasn't been able to answer for me:

Has anyone tried the Zilla 20L front-opening vivarium? Is it frogproof, and does it seem sturdy? It is the size I would like for my "forever" tank, and the multiple access directions seems nice for my sanity. I already have shelving that would fit a 20 long, but not the deeper Exoterra in the same size range.

Can pulmonate aquatic snails transition to land in the high humidity of a dart frog vivarium? I have some moss that has been grown submerged for a year or more. It's unlikely to harbor any eggs for terrestrial species at this point, I imagine, but my tank does have ramshorns and Physa snails, which have lungs. I would rather not bring them into the vivarium as hitchhikers, if they survive the transition.

Anyway, thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Hello All!

Welcome!

I haven't used the Zilla viv, but that 20 long is a neat size. I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate for a dart viv.

The snail question is interesting. Google Scholar didn't yield anything for me; pond snails survive drying in temporary ponds, though, so I'd be careful. Maybe treating the moss with a copper-based snail killer would be prudent.
Pilcrow likes this.

-- Orwell