Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Default Excited to get started!

Hi all!

New here and just wanted to introduce myself. After years of doing tropical freshwater aquaria, I found myself wanting a new challenge. Unfortunately, due to a cross-country move, I had to gift all my fish, plants, and inverts away a couple of years back.

I wanted to avoid having to do that again, and so was looking for something that would satisfy my desire to create and maintain a whole ecosystem while remaining relatively easy to move (at least compared to aquaria) should the need arise. Enter dart frogs!

I've currently got my old 10 gallon horizontal set up with drainage, soil, live plants, and hardscape. I avoided doing an intense background so that any future frogs would have more space to roam around on the floor. Currently awaiting a shipment of springtails and leaf litter to seed the substrate.

I'm still undecided about whether I'm going to go with a leuc or tinc setup, but I think I've set myself up well to have either when the time comes. Just a matter of waiting for the viv to get established and getting FF cultures going (honestly this is the most intimidating part to me right now), but I'm so excited for the future!

Last edited by pguy22; 03-04-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Excited to get started!

Welcome to the forum. Frogs are definitely easier to move than fish! I had to move my 75 gallon reef 4 times in 6 years. Each move was literally an all day affair. Bagging every coral individually so they don't sting each other, breaking down, and reinstalling everything. I have been wanting to get back into reef tanks, but then I remember the moves. Ugh, no thanks.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:34 AM

Hello fellow ex-aquarium hobbyist. While moving across the country with fish in pails of water can be pretty tough, moving a frog setup can still be a daunting task. You still have to breakdown the tank as much as possible. Place your plants in bins where they won't get crushed or dried out in some cases. You also have to round up all the critters and keep them from drying out as well.

It's probably not as bad as moving a large reef setup though.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:03 AM

Good point! At least in my head it seems less daunting since there aren't large amounts of water to deal with. Also, I remember worrying a ton about whether my tank (or rather the bacteria) would rebound properly post-move. But you're right, moving with frogs will has its own anxiety-inducing challenges I'm sure! Hopefully it won't come to that for a good long while though...