facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By varanoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2019, 09:28 PM

Default Research Prior to getting frogs

heyo! so im moving to florida in a couple months and i want to get started with some frogs, im not sure yet on what species. it just all seems so intimidating and confusing for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Research Prior to getting frogs

so i wanted to get a 36x18x18 exo terra to start with, but im starting to wonder if with PDFs its better to start off small and work your way up (like a 10 gal or something). plus the whole fruit flies thing really confuses me cause it seems pretty simple but everyone seems to struggle with it

Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 PM

Definitely get your ability to culture ff down. Nothing’s more frustrating than depending on poorly or non producing cultures. It can be simple, but like everything, you can complicate matters.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
so i wanted to get a 36x18x18 exo terra to start with, but im starting to wonder if with PDFs its better to start off small and work your way up (like a 10 gal or something). plus the whole fruit flies thing really confuses me cause it seems pretty simple but everyone seems to struggle with it
Welcome!

I like the 'start small idea'; I currently have seven small (10-15g) vivs and love them because I can do something slightly different in each one. If I had one big viv, I'd get bored with it, try to change it up, and hate all the work that entailed.

People sometimes have little hiccups with FF culturing, but is is basically extremely simple (a monkey could be trained to do it), cheap (under a buck a culture), and quick (less than five minutes a week). Use a commercial media mix, put in place some sort of mite prevention protocol, and use the fabric lids rather than the vented ones. Use the search tool here to get details on these points.

You don't have to get frogs (or a viv) right away. If you think you like a certain species, Google it and read all the pages that come up. Spend lots of time on general frog-related reading (books, forum archives, other informational websites, vendor websites) -- that's actually part of frogging, too (A very reasonable conversation: "Are you a frogger?" "Yes, a very serious one!" "How many vivs do you have?" "None, I've only been a frogger for a year or so.")
varanoid likes this.

-- Orwell
Old 02-28-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Welcome!

I like the 'start small idea'; I currently have seven small (10-15g) vivs and love them because I can do something slightly different in each one. If I had one big viv, I'd get bored with it, try to change it up, and hate all the work that entailed.

People sometimes have little hiccups with FF culturing, but is is basically extremely simple (a monkey could be trained to do it), cheap (under a buck a culture), and quick (less than five minutes a week). Use a commercial media mix, put in place some sort of mite prevention protocol, and use the fabric lids rather than the vented ones. Use the search tool here to get details on these points.

You don't have to get frogs (or a viv) right away. If you think you like a certain species, Google it and read all the pages that come up. Spend lots of time on general frog-related reading (books, forum archives, other informational websites, vendor websites) -- that's actually part of frogging, too (A very reasonable conversation: "Are you a frogger?" "Yes, a very serious one!" "How many vivs do you have?" "None, I've only been a frogger for a year or so.")

the only thing with start small is that this is the only set up i intend on getting due to moving around every few years and it would just be a pain to move more than two vivs. (i have a bioactive setup for my western hognose)

fruit flies i already know to get the cups, lids, and excelsior from joshs frogs and use your media of choice (repashy, joshs, etc)

ive been spending a lot of my days on facebook reading all the different posts from a few groups and seeing everyones input on stuff

Old 02-28-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
ive been spending a lot of my days on facebook reading all the different posts from a few groups and seeing everyones input on stuff
Mmm...Facebook...yeah...I guess there's that, too.

The sources of information are important to the value of that information, so I'd be careful taking random opinions as valuable. Actual frog forums have ways to vet the source of information (number of posts, number of likes, etc).

Some reliable reading can be found at NEHerp, Josh's, Ranitomeya.com, Dendrobates.org, Amphibiaweb.org.
varanoid likes this.

-- Orwell
Old 02-28-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Mmm...Facebook...yeah...I guess there's that, too.

The sources of information are important to the value of that information, so I'd be careful taking random opinions as valuable. Actual frog forums have ways to vet the source of information (number of posts, number of likes, etc).

Some reliable reading can be found at NEHerp, Josh's, Ranitomeya.com, Dendrobates.org, Amphibiaweb.org.

a lot of people on the two facebook groups im in use this forum aswell and have had quite some years of experience. but i also use it to see problems that beginners have so i can learn from them

Old 02-28-2019, 05:52 PM

Careful on facebook. A lot of flat out wrong misinformation being thrown out there. I'm a member of quite a few groups there, but more for getting inspiration from other's vivariums than for any sort of information or intelligent discussion/debate.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
the only thing with start small is that this is the only set up i intend on getting due to moving around every few years and it would just be a pain to move more than two vivs. (i have a bioactive setup for my western hognose)

fruit flies i already know to get the cups, lids, and excelsior from joshs frogs and use your media of choice (repashy, joshs, etc)

I have a 18"x18"x24" Exo Terra which I had to move once. I took out everything except the false bottom and some of the substrate because it would have been too much of a pain to take out. Even after doing that there was no way I could have moved it safely without any help.