Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 02:48 AM

Default Brand New to PDFs

Hey y'all 👋 here to use this forum as the great wealth of knowledge it is to jump into PDFs. I've kept a lot of herps, but never had a bioactive vivarium. I've got the space and the Exo-Terra, should be customizing a cork bark background in the coming weeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 04:18 AM

Welcome! This is a great place for bio-active tank info, probably the best. Do you plan on doing the classic coco fiber background with the cork wood? As a noob to pdf tanks, I’ve found that the coco fiber backgrounds are kinda old school and obsolete, and there are much better options these days: tree fern fiber or Hygrolon fabric seems to be top notch for growing plants on tank walls... plain ol’ coco fiber doesn’t hold as much moisture or nutrients and will quickly degrade from the original application...but it still works. Definitely worth the extra bucks to use better alternatives if you can find it.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Brand New to PDFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks View Post
Welcome! This is a great place for bio-active tank info, probably the best. Do you plan on doing the classic coco fiber background with the cork wood? As a noob to pdf tanks, Iíve found that the coco fiber backgrounds are kinda old school and obsolete, and there are much better options these days: tree fern fiber or Hygrolon fabric seems to be top notch for growing plants on tank walls... plain olí coco fiber doesnít hold as much moisture or nutrients and will quickly degrade from the original application...but it still works. Definitely worth the extra bucks to use better alternatives if you can find it.
I am not; I've got moss to tuck into cracks and such, but I also plan to have shelf fungus on the back as well (if I can find the right pieces that won't take up too much real estate).