Dendroboard banner

Hello! Orange county, CA

453 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  persephassa 
#1 ·
Hi! I am excited about starting a vivarium. After lots of research I finally ordered some supplies to start a small tank (12x12x18) and make a cork bark mosaic background. This board is super helpful and I have lots of discussions bookmarked. I ordered a few plants with my terrarium & supplies but I plan on looking for a couple more plants at a tropical plant nursery near me. I'm planning on either a pair of thumbnail PDFs or a single dart frog of some sort, I'm not sure what; I want to get the plants established first, and I found a reptile convention that looks like it will have dart frog dealers at it near the end of April, so that's my timeline for now. I haven't ever kept any sort of amphibian or reptile but I do have two nano planted tanks with betta fish. Anyhow it's awesome to have this great resource!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. You found the best resource out there to help you with your vivarium and your frogs. Couple of pointers for you to get you started out right....

First, is to thoroughly inspect and clean your plants before you put them in the tank. That means from the leaves to the stems to the roots. You don't want to introduce pests into your tank. You also don't want any fertilizers or chemical residues (fungicides or pesticides) to make it in either. There are some good threads on the board about how to go about this.

Second, make sure to do your research on who you plan on buying from. Not all vendors are created equal. Some you don't want to touch with a ten foot pole.

#3 ·
Thank you for the advice, I have been reading about processing plants.

Do you think it is better to order frogs by mail or in person at a trade show or LPS? I looked up some of the vendors at the show that will be near me in a couple months & they seem good, as far as I can tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.