Dendroboard banner

New PA member

566 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Rulty 
#1 ·
Hey guys! To start off my name is Ryan and I have no idea what I'm doing! Well I guess I shouldn't say that. I have done my research and read just about every article I can find online about up keeping your frogs and their enclosure. I am just the kind of person that isn't comfortable with something until I do it a few times.

A little background. I have a friend that has owned various snakes, lizards, geckos...etc. He is my main source of information as far as general upkeep goes, as he has never owned poison dart frogs. I also have my brother who has owned various frogs, but once again no poison darts. My gf has 2 turtles and is looking to get a snake. So taking care of animals isn't exactly new, just the specifics.

Attached is a picture of my vivarium. It's obviously not done yet, plants are arriving today! As well my springtails and isopods, I'm also going to be getting a piece of glass cut to cover a portion of the top. This seems to be my general setup, at least for now, but if you guys have any suggestions I'll gladly listen. After today I should be pretty well setup and probably won't be getting frogs until March 2nd, there is a local reptile expo and the selection at local shops for poison darts is slim to none.

My main question right now is does this setup look like the frogs will enjoy it? Right now I am thinking of getting azurues (sp?) But if you guys would think that another frog would be better suited for this setup just let me know what kind and why.

Other than that I am sure I will have more questions as I go further down the rabbit hole, and from what I have seen this is the forum to go to when you need help and advice!

Few notes about the picture: that is not where I'll be keeping my thermo/hydrometer, and yes I will be getting a digital setup. Until I get my plants setup I have been keeping it on top of that shelf on the right hand side.

I look forward to meeting all of you and please feel free to offer any suggestions!

See less See more
#3 ·
To be honest, I knew only one would be a good idea in this size, however I was hoping 2 would be ok. Oh well, guess I will just need a bigger tank down the road. I will have to look into some climbing features for them. It may be hard to see but I do wanna say that there are three levels in here. The base, a cork log in the back, and that shelf off to the right.

#4 ·
Don't forget to add leaf litter! Super beneficial for your frogs and the microfauna in the tank.

Probably too small for a pair of tincs as stated above, but there are a bunch of smaller darts that may work as a pair in there.

Some advice for the future, pick your animal first, then design around that rather than the other way around. You'll be much happier with the results, and more importantly, so will your animals.

#5 ·
I did add leaf litter! at that point I didn't have my micros in there so I just wanted easier access into the substrate. I have changed the tank around a couple times. Moved a plant here and there, added in leaf litter and my microfauna. I also did that but there were some arguments from the GF about getting a tank larger than this, and I figured worse comes to worse this is a fine starter tank, and I can get used to the setup and upkeep for 1 frog. Plus I can always move to a bigger tank in the future if I really get into the hobby. Of course on one of our trips to a pet store we saw a Tinc Azurues and she is in love and now wants to go all out with it :rolleyes:

Honestly I feel like my battle for now is humidity. I know the analog gauges aren't accurate, but mine sits around 60-70% on this gauge, although I feel like it gets to be more (I have no gauge for what humidity feels like, but when I put my hand in the enclosure it feels like one of those days where you go outside and by the time you get your other foot out the door you are already wet.)

My last (hopefully) setup question is how long would it take for the humidity in the tank to level out with the plants and mosses being in there? I know you should let the tank cycle for 3-4 weeks before adding any frogs, I am just looking for a ballpark of how long it takes for the plants to start contributing to the humidity, and how much can I expect the humidity to change with the plants in there now?

#6 ·
Glad you have leaf litter already. It's great stuff.

Humidity levels in your tank are mostly going to be a function of ventilation and your misting schedule. Sure plants will contribute in the equation, but not as much as the airflow you get from your ventilation and the frequency and duration of your misting schedule. Unfortunately there is not a once size fits all level of ventilation or misting schedule. It's going to be something you are going to have to fiddle with until you get it dialed in the way you like it. You will never achieve a perfect equilibrium of humidity. It is more of a balance of misting given your ventilation.

While it is ideal to let tanks "cycle" (I don't like that term, I prefer establish my tanks, as in establish root systems and microfauna population) it is not 100 percent necessary. Preferred yes, requirement no. I have set up many tanks with short notice before with great success and stocked them the same day they were set up.

#7 ·
Thats good to know about cycling, Ill have my tank setup for about 2 weeks before the Carlisle, PA reptile show. I planned on getting a frog there so I should be good.

As far as my humidity I swapped out my bulb for one that doesn't give off as much heat. I read that those bulbs can dry out your enclosure and so far it looks like it's helping. I doubt that ventilation is my issue, I have a zoomed tank that has the fron ventilation and I closed off the top completely. I think it is something that I'll just need to keep toying with. Possibly a deeper water dish would help.

#9 ·
Right now I have all my ventilation except for the front vents closed off, I think my stupid analog gauge is just off but who knows, I have been paying more attention to the condensation on the side of the tank and last night it stayed till this morning so I think that the humidity is probably where it needs to be at. Just need more research to confirm.

And yes, the gf is going to hate when we say we want that frog and I jump online to find some reviews.

#10 ·
Most humidity gauges are pretty inaccurate. Especially the analogue ones commonly found at pet stores. Many keepers, as they gain experience, can just look at their tank and tell if they are in spec. You'll be at that point in no time.

Just want to emphasize once again who you buy from matters. There are some terrible vendors out there, some just downright unethical. You may have to pay a few dollars more for your frogs from a reputable breeder, but you will be glad you did. Nothing worse than getting an unhealthy frog. Especially if it is your first dart frog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.