Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2019, 10:45 PM

Default Detailed Enclosure for Desmognathus fuscus

Hello! My name is Tyler Streets and I have become fascinated with this genus (and particularly the species D. fuscus) quite recently. I was recommended by a friend to this forum and would love to hear some advice from people who about natural enclosure building.

I plan on collecting several specimens (10-12) preferably (if someone would recommend a different quanity for breeding purposes please let me know). I would assume that there should be more males than females, due to the combative terrorial behaviors of the males. However, I have also heard that both sexes can be combative of territory for the purpose of food availability. So i’m still trying to get a rough estimate on how many specimens (and how many of each sexes) I should place in the vivarium.

Considering Desmognathus fuscus is one of the more amphibious species in the genus, I would like to construct a miniature waterfall like structure in the 55 gallon tank aquarium I have for them. However, i’m just not sure what pump could be best for it. I plan on having the waterfall on the back left corner of the tank appearing in the shape of a volcano (the structure will be made of expanding foam) the flows down into a small reservoir of water that concludes about 1/3 of the tanks full length. I would like to silicone some small river rocks on the foam and have native moss growing on the rocks. The other portions of the tank will consist of gravel and some sort of muddy sand with small and medium rocks scattered for hiding spots.

Besides the pump, I have a few questions about humidity and lighting. I would like to completely mimic the natural cycle month by month. I have heard the Mist King is an excellent miniature humidifier. However, I want to be able to control the humidity via remote to get approximate humidity percentages. Is there such a device for this? I also should note that I would prefer the humidifier to remain inside the enclosure (concealed of course).