Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 03:47 AM

Default Hello from Colorado!

Hello from Colorado!

I'm just getting serious about bioactive enclosures and will more than likely begin keeping dart frogs once my first enclosure is dialed in and has some time to grow. It's been fascinating reading through the build journals on Dendroboard and elsewhere online.

Currently I keep a 6-year-old jungle carpet python and a 6-year-old Hispaniolan boa; both were acquired as very young juveniles. Until a few years ago when I relocated to Colorado, I also raised a sulcata tortoise from hatchling to adulthood. (It was an incredibly tough decision adopting him away; I really miss keeping him. Happily I still get updates from his adoptive "family" and he's doing great!)

Even though adult sulcatas are generally kept dry and outdoors, I think that's still the most relevant experience to my new endeavor. (Snakes - at least mine - are so simple in comparison.) Sulcata hatchlings require significant humidity and daily observation/care, plus I created a pretty self-sustaining outdoor habitat for him as an adult. And I daresay, creating a healthy ecosystem in a suburban backyard may be harder than doing the same in a small terrarium...

I've got an 18"x18"x24" Exo Terra that I will be customizing. I've picked up some items from local shops, but am still waiting on some more to arrive from online vendors before I really get started. I anticipate a week or two of build time, then letting the cage "grow in" for 2-3 months before acquiring any frogs. I may wait even longer, since I lead a number of backpacking trips in the summer/early fall and wouldn't want new arrivals to be settling in during that time frame. (My wife will happily care for them, but I'd rather be around daily for new arrivals.)

I'm not really into breeding reptiles or amphibians, because despite my personal interest the supply/demand has never really seemed to add up in the best interests of existing animals. (Personal opinion.) I'm also only planning on keeping a single species, so more research is in order on that front. I'm building the enclosure with the tentative plan to keep a variant of thumbnail dart frog (or very similar); I've read they're considered a bit more "advanced" but the care sheets and care journals all seem well within my capabilities. Planning on a 4+ group, but that will depend on the final species decision.

If not a full build journal, I'll probably at least post some updates as the terrarium comes together. I look forward to continuing to participate on the forum.

Last edited by ra94131; 01-25-2019 at 03:48 AM. Reason: typo/clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Hello from Colorado!

Quick "Hello" also from Colorado! I am also new to the forum and have started my 54 Gallon Paludarium build. Also a fellow keeper of a "Rescue" Russian Tortoise. He wandered into the neighborhood and they brought him to my wife. Unable to find his owner, we have adopted him. Wasn't sure if you had heard or not, but I found out there is a Reptile Expo coming to the National Western Complex on Feb 23 and 24. Search "Reptilian Nation Expo" I no longer have a FB account but you can find info there if you want. Just thought I'd pass that info along. I am excited to go check that out. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your build!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmkco View Post
Quick "Hello" also from Colorado! I am also new to the forum and have started my 54 Gallon Paludarium build. Also a fellow keeper of a "Rescue" Russian Tortoise. He wandered into the neighborhood and they brought him to my wife. Unable to find his owner, we have adopted him. Wasn't sure if you had heard or not, but I found out there is a Reptile Expo coming to the National Western Complex on Feb 23 and 24. Search "Reptilian Nation Expo" I no longer have a FB account but you can find info there if you want. Just thought I'd pass that info along. I am excited to go check that out. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your build!
I appreciate the heads up! We're actually planning on attending; might even schedule some items for pickup from vendors to avoid shipping, particularly plants. Will be too soon for frogs though, I think.

What kind of setup do you have for the Russian? I've toyed with the idea of a keeping a smaller tortoise species, especially one a little more cold weather tolerant that could still be outside a good portion of the year. (Russian's have a reputation for being escape artists though... as yours's previous owner likely discovered.)

Old 01-25-2019, 10:37 PM

Ours was an escape artist, or so we thought. We thought we lost him last winter only to find him wandering around his enclosure this past summer. Our Jaws hit the floor! We have no clue where he went or how he survived that last Colorado Winter! I'm going to make him an indoor enclosure soon, but as of now he's just hibernating in the basement in a smaller tank. In the summer, he lives in a fenced in portion(a 6" vinyl fence rail keeps him in) in the backyard with a planted area where he can dig in and get shade and hide at night. He loves his dandelions and roaming free. He does constantly try to escape tho, even with that much room to roam! I'm thinking of an open-top, maybe 3' x 6' enclosure for the basement using 2 concrete mixing tubs to hold his substrate so he can dig. Maybe putting it up on legs so you can stand and watch him. I'd like to make it look really natural for him. Doing my Paludarium is giving me the fever to build!