Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 AM

Default Hello from Michigan

Another noob here in Ann Arbor. New to frogs but have kept various planted tanks, reefs, and vivariums for over 25 yrs. Really looking forward to keeping darts! I first saw them about 15 yrs ago at some rich guy’s house. He had a built in wall of about 6 or more tanks of various dart species and it was THE COOLEST thing I’d ever seen and I had to have them...but 15 yrs ago darts were difficult to find and pretty expensive, so I kept with my fish tanks and forgot all about frogs.

For some reason, a few weeks ago I googled “dart frogs” and came across soooo much great info, my memories of that frog wall came back, and the next day(New Years Eve) I went out and bought a 75 gallon at petco’s dollar/gallon sale.

Looking forward to posting my tank build and getting to know a new group of animal lovers. And thanks for all the great information on here!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 PM

I’m new to frogs too. I have multiple saltwater aquariums. The saltwater hobby can be very addictive. I have also had an interest in dart frogs for many years. I decided to turn one of my 75 gallon tanks into a vivarium. As I started researching I found there are so many types. Looks like a hobby more addictive than the saltwater hobby. People put up racks and have walls of vivariums! Have fun building your vivarium and deciding what frog to get!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Hello from Michigan

I think there are a few Ann Arborites on the forum.

That's a good deal you got on your tank. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. What species do you think you want to keep?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:33 PM

I can definitely see this becoming an addicting hobby. Thankfully I have a partner who is into the tank hobby as much as I am!
After years of smaller tanks and diy’s, I’m going for a slight challenge and decided to make this one a show paludarium for our living room. I’m building it for a couple Ranitomeya highlands and a colony of cherry shrimp, but focusing on more specialized or rare plant species like orchids, and maybe a couple cp’s like sundews and butterworts. The build will be focused around these plants species’ needs while keeping the frogs’ needs in mind. Plenty of dry land for them to explore and hide in 🙂
Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 PM

I think that sundews can potentially catch the smaller frogs?

Solo
Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 PM

Oh I’m definitely aware of that...I’ll explain it all in my build post. 🙂 Basically...if they’re added, it’ll be months after I introduce the frogs. Where I plan on placing the sundew, I’m hoping the lil frogs will avoid it..it’s kinda up high and awkward to get to. But..if they like that spot and hang out there a lot, no sundews. I’m not holding my breath though as there are plenty of other options. Also, they’ll be the larger Pygmy species, small enough not to bother the frogs, large enough not to get trampled by the frogs. We’ll see!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 PM

Sounds like you be a pro at keeping darts in no time with all that experience behind your belt!