Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 05:02 PM

Default Hello

wanted to post hear been on the site for a whilst and I have a question not sure if I can ask on this page would not let me start a post on construction advice I have 6 tricolors and in the prosses of a fully automated build and which I will be posting about i have the DIY lighting controller plus DIY lights temperature sensor humidity sensor, mistking fogger all set up just got to get some glass ordered then the build will start have taken photos etc but I get sidetracked quickly and forget to take them so missing a lot of info but will fill people in if they have questions
ps. nice to meet you all here is a quick teaser of what I've been working on
and the project I have a question to ask about.
hopefully the image shows
https://ibb.co/zQwCzCB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Hello

my question is regarding the glass thickness it is between 6 or 8 mm for the sides it will be 8 on the base and 6 on top regardless but it is the sides ime thinking about I will be covering the glass in security film but will 6 mm be strong enough or shall I use 8 mm still with the film and thoughts ?? there is a £100 difference in it
Old 01-03-2019, 08:49 PM

Welcome to the forum. That looks like quite a build if you are building it from scratch! I don't have any experience making my own vivs from scratch sorry. But please make sure that you share the progression. Now that you have a couple of posts you can now post to other parts of the forum. If you don't get any help here in this section try the Parts and Construction subforum.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:50 PM

You have not stated the dimensions of the build so it is hard to say. 6mm or 1/4” is usually good up to dimensions of 18” x 24” to 18” x 36” on a panel, as long as there is some kind of support. 8mm or 3/8” should be used for builds 24” up to 48” with support. If you get larger you will have to start looking at thicker glass or reinforcement such as the “euro braced” design of rimless aquariums.

Solo
Old 01-04-2019, 06:42 AM

I did forget sorry the dimensions will be 920mm x500 X 770mm it will have a brace across the top and running in the middle cannot euro brace due to the lids and acsess I would do it in 10 mm eurobraced for a fishtank but considering the fact no water will be going in I was not Shure if necessary with the X brace at the top and security film for extra safety should the worst happen but I think I will go 8 mm bye bye £311.98 lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk