Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2018, 05:54 PM

Question Newbie questions

Hello, I am new to frog keeping and don't currently own any frogs. I have been keeping fish for several years, and have done research and so know the basics of keeping frogs. I was going to start setting up a tank rather soon and I have some questions.

First, would you consider Dendrobates tinctorius, 'patrica' is the one I have my eye on, a good beginner frog? I like the look of them, I grew up by a creek and so am not bothered greatly by loud callings, whether it be all day, in the mornings and/or evenings, or at night, and I am fine with fruitflies, springtails, Isopods and most any bug for feeding. I am also home only 5 days a week, so would this be alright for feeding, if not I can ask a family member to take over for the other two days. I've heard after they get a bit older and fatter they can potentially go a week without food, and so just wanted to make sure.

Second, I was planning to build a 36 inch long by 20 inch high by 20 inches deep custom viv. How many frogs would you guys recommend for a viv of this size? I know more than 3 would go fine, but I was thinking 5-6. If I am wrong please tell me, as I want to get this right now before I get in too deep. Also, what mixture of males to females would you recommend? I keep seeing 3-1, but does this hold true for larger groups, that is if my viv would be big enough. I also know that these guys are more ground dwelling so the height of it is more for viewing.

Third, what mixture of soil types would you recommend? I was thinking 1 part coco coir, 1 part coco husk, 1 part orchid bark, 1 part charcoal, 1 part spaghnam moss and 1 part sand. Any thoughts? Also, how deep would you recommend it to be? I am not sure how well this would support plants, so any additions that would help my floral friends would be great. This would also be a live substrate with springtails, but I was wondering if I should go with dwarf whites, dwarf purples or both as well. Also, what type of leaf would you recommend for leaf litter, and are other botanicals like seed pods and cones ok, like the ones they put in blackwater aquariums.

Fourth, my home gets to 18c in winter and no more than 23-24c in the summer. Would you recommend any good heating or cooling options, like using cooler or warmer water in the mister, or should I focus on having my lights and vents do more of the temperature controls?

Fifth, what plants would you guys recommends? Of course I was thinking of going with bromeliads and plenty of mosses along with some more aquatic plants like Anubis and bucephalandra, but I am not sure about the ground dwelling ones. Also, are carnivorous plants alright, specifically nepenthes Ampullaria? I know these guys are partly detritivores, strange being carnivorous but hey, what can I do, and are rather small. Would the frogs be at risk of being eaten or trapped in these guys, or are they likely to just get stuck in them?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2018, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Newbie questions

Welcome to the forum. Wow that's a lot of questions! Luckily the answers to them are all easily found here in the forums by using the search function. Some of your questions may have multiple answers that vary depending on who you ask and may have some debate as to what is truly correct. Once again these debates are easily looked up here on the forum.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:37 PM

Thanks a ton for the reply! I will look around for some answers, although some of my questions pertain more to me like the number of frogs that would be ok in a tank that big.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsfrogs View Post
Thanks a ton for the reply! I will look around for some answers, although some of my questions pertain more to me like the number of frogs that would be ok in a tank that big.
I used the search box at the top of this page to find 'tinctorius group' and got 2,280 results.

The best reason, I think, to search high and low for previous discussions of questions that are going to have complex and layered answers is that your questions you posed above might get dedicated attention from three or four people. Searching past discussions will give you input from scores of people, coming at the issue from different angles than are suggested by your posing of it. You'll also bump into discussions that suggest concerns that you don't now even know to ask about.
varanoid likes this.

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 12-25-2018 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-26-2018, 10:54 AM

I've been looking about and there are a lot of people talking a lot but not saying very much, Just like on the fish forums I guess. I have been looking about but am struggling with using the mobile version on a browser and so will just wait till I am around a computer to look about more. I also seem to have an easier time researching using Josh's frogs articles. From this I have learned:

-Tinctorius are more aggressive than other frogs.

-It generally isn't recommended to keep them together in groups larger than 1-1

-Groups of 2-1 or 3-1 are possible to maintain but are tricky to get working

So with this in mind I think I'll be changing my plan. I am still in love with the Tinc 'Patricia' and have no wish to choose another frog (D. Leucmela are really expensive here for me, like 120 per frog, and not just a specific one either, all the leucs are expensive here) so I will be scaling down the viv to 30x15x16. This, although smaller, will be a better home for a pair of tincs rather than a group. I will hopefully still be able to see them while providing plenty of space for them to have breaks from each other.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsfrogs View Post
I've been looking about and there are a lot of people talking a lot but not saying very much, Just like on the fish forums I guess. I have been looking about but am struggling with using the mobile version on a browser and so will just wait till I am around a computer to look about more. I also seem to have an easier time researching using Josh's frogs articles. From this I have learned:

-Tinctorius are more aggressive than other frogs.

-It generally isn't recommended to keep them together in groups larger than 1-1

-Groups of 2-1 or 3-1 are possible to maintain but are tricky to get working

So with this in mind I think I'll be changing my plan. I am still in love with the Tinc 'Patricia' and have no wish to choose another frog (D. Leucmela are really expensive here for me, like 120 per frog, and not just a specific one either, all the leucs are expensive here) so I will be scaling down the viv to 30x15x16. This, although smaller, will be a better home for a pair of tincs rather than a group. I will hopefully still be able to see them while providing plenty of space for them to have breaks from each other.
I get what you are saying but it is exactly as Socratic says. You will rarely get a unanimous consensus on any subject you research. Josh's Frogs is a good resource, but it doesn't hurt to check additional resources in your research. This forum is one of the best.

Tincs can be aggressive for sure. But I've seen very aggressive behavior in many other species as well, including luecs.

Tincs are nearly always visible, you should see them daily no matter how big your tank is and how many hiding places they have.

Tags
build, diy, newbie, questions