Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Rules & Community Messages > New Members Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2018, 09:23 AM

Default 28x28x36 (First Build) Lighting questions!!!

Hey everyone!
First post!! Guess its official now!!

This is my first terrarium / Vivarium build ever... Had a few questions on lighting and discovered I needed to post twice here before I could post anywhere else. but I understand...

The tank is going to be 28x28x36(high) living room display tank custom build.
3/8 Low Iron (I know 3/8 would be too thin for an aquarium, but this is gonna be terrarium or paludarium with not much water, just still wanted something beefy)
(ordered the glass from glass cages, and ill be doing the actual tank assembly myself (have already done MUCH reading / video watching on this)

I plan to keep mostly carnivorous plants / orchids / broms / and some mosses. A false bottom and GS foam background with corkbark and other woods. I would like to do a water feature (heard they can be a bit of a ***** but I would like to do one anyways - and I'm fairly confident I can do it as long as its nicely done and easily accessible (for maintenance).

A little background how I ended up here: My Venus fly traps were doing pretty good as windowsill plants but I could never get them to quite flower - I knew they needed a terrarium with some better lighting... did a quite google search and stumbled upon pictures of various paludariums and terrariums and fell in love with what I saw.
I immediately thought to myself, "I'm building one of these." and have just been stumbling into all sorts of other awesome stuff (DARTS!!!)
I originally planned on doing plants and fish (more of a paludarium build, but after seeing darts I have kind of changed my mind to house them, but they would be VERY LAST.)

So here we are.

My big question is lighting. ive done a lot of reading and kind of know what I'm looking for as far Kelvins and all that.

I'm currently deciding between two or three lights and am hoping someone else with a little more information or personal experience could help.

the lights in question:

1) Tincman Herps 22'' LED (from the biodude)
2) Finnex 24/7 planted plus CC
3) Current-USA Satellite plus PRO

I really like the how the Finnex and Current both have the 24/7 modes and other little funnsie options added in, but kinda wonder if they are just gimmicky or if they are indeed a quality light that would produce enough light for what I need.

I am on somewhat of a budget - but that doesn't mean I want to go cheap. I still want things to be done "right."

If I go finnex or tincman herp I was thinking of getting two just for good measure, but would only be able to afford 1 Current at the moment due to higher price.

I've tried to do as much reading as I could about a lot of different lighting options and want to go the LED route I think.

I've lurked the forums for a quite a while before starting to get into the build, and have pretty much been able to find the answers I'm looking for and make a plan of action. However, lighting... I'm a little lost.

I've also seen the Jungle dawn spotlight leds that looked nice too, but read they don't last too long.

I am pretty open to suggestions and discussions of other lights if someone thinks there is a better option than the lights I've listed feel free to let me know!

Thanks!
glad to be on these forums!
-Mitchell

ps.
My Nepenthes Macrophyllia ships around end of next month from Wistuba. I'm in a bit of a rush to get the tank ready for it. Not rush and be sloppy though... If I need to tank my time to do things right I will.

I do have an emergency set up all ready for it when it arrives in case the big tank isn't ready yet.

Hoping to have the tank together either this weekend or next.

I will try and post some pics soon of what I got going on soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 04:15 PM

Default Re: 28x28x36 (First Build) Lighting questions!!!

To answer your lighting question: the finnex and satellite are great lights for lighting shorter tanks and for their day/night cycle, but I really don’t think they have quite the penetration to reach down 36”. I have a 24” wide, 36” tall tank. Fir the bulk of the lighting, I have a Snake Eyes quad LED. Topdogsellers on ebay have them. On their half setting, the light still adequately penetrates all the way to the bottom of the tank and gives my broms beautiful colors. Additionally, they don’t break the bank. The reason it does so well for tall tanks is that it has 3W individual lights as opposed to the 0.5W individual lights of the finnex and satellite. Also, it has a special lens that helps to concentrate the light angle downward.

On my tank, because I really like a day/night cycle, I also have a finnex 24/7 behind the SE quad that lights my upper background plants and provides that day/night cycle. In my opinion, the finnex does everything I need for that purpose, and I would only get a satellite if I wanted to pay more for some fun, somewhat fancier options.

I cant answer on the tincman because I have no experience with those lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2018, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I saw some posts about the snake eyes led from topdog on ebay, and it sounded like they were pretty decent.

This is kinda my current thoughts:

x2 24/7 planted plus CC lights (and just sync them up so they match - I figure two of them should be pretty decent lighting?)

or

1 24/7 planted plus CC (for day/night) + some other decent light to help supplement.

The satellite pro seemed pretty good, with decent par rating, and the right spectrum plus the funnsies. However I thought x2 Planted plus CC would probably out do x1 Satellite pro.

And if I was doing two sat plus pros - why not just spend a few extra and get a Jungle hobbies? (If they are really that good. I've seen a lot of posts saying they are awesome and good quality, but I had some trouble finding the actual par numbers on it.)

Anyone with Jungles hobbies light experience? Or does anyone perhaps know of a link to see the par?

The Jungle Hobbies looked awesome. Nice and simple with all the cool stuff, and more importantly seemed like a nice light overall.
I wouldn't be afraid to drop a decent amount on that light if it really was as badass as it seems.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagirrek View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I saw some posts about the snake eyes led from topdog on ebay, and it sounded like they were pretty decent.

This is kinda my current thoughts:

x2 24/7 planted plus CC lights (and just sync them up so they match - I figure two of them should be pretty decent lighting?)

or

1 24/7 planted plus CC (for day/night) + some other decent light to help supplement.

The satellite pro seemed pretty good, with decent par rating, and the right spectrum plus the funnsies. However I thought x2 Planted plus CC would probably out do x1 Satellite pro.

And if I was doing two sat plus pros - why not just spend a few extra and get a Jungle hobbies? (If they are really that good. I've seen a lot of posts saying they are awesome and good quality, but I had some trouble finding the actual par numbers on it.)

Anyone with Jungles hobbies light experience? Or does anyone perhaps know of a link to see the par?

The Jungle Hobbies looked awesome. Nice and simple with all the cool stuff, and more importantly seemed like a nice light overall.
I wouldn't be afraid to drop a decent amount on that light if it really was as badass as it seems.
You might consider contacting Kent at Spectral Designs.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2018, 10:23 PM

All of those lights will be fine. Anything 6000k - 10000k will be great. Even standard CFL bulbs or flourescent tubes. It's mostly to benefit the plants and our eyes.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggs View Post
You might consider contacting Kent at Spectral Designs.

Those lights look pretty nice. Any personal experience with them???
I like the custom build options.

whats your opinion on these (spectrals) vs x2 finnex CC's?
22" x 13" LED Combo (spotlight) Panel (I was looking at getting this resized for my 28x28 needs.

do the spectral designs have options for any moonlighting effects or just sun up, sun down timer?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Those lights look pretty nice. Any personal experience with them???
I like the custom build options.

whats your opinion on these (spectrals) vs x2 finnex CC's?
22" x 13" LED Combo (spotlight) Panel (I was looking at getting this resized for my 28x28 needs.

do the spectral designs have options for any moonlighting effects or just sun up, sun down timer?
I ordered a custom setup for a corner tank, but it has not arrived yet. I loved how willing he was to work with me, and the triangle shape was something totally unavailable elsewhere.

I like the spotlight combo panels a lot, which is why I contact Kirk in the first place over a Finnex.

I'm not sure about moonlighting, but it does have a daylight simulation that gradually increases the light then gradually decreases it. I'm less concerned with a moonlight option and will just run a red light on a basic timer if it strikes me.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I ordered a custom setup for a corner tank, but it has not arrived yet. I loved how willing he was to work with me, and the triangle shape was something totally unavailable elsewhere.

I like the spotlight combo panels a lot, which is why I contact Kirk in the first place over a Finnex.

I'm not sure about moonlighting, but it does have a daylight simulation that gradually increases the light then gradually decreases it. I'm less concerned with a moonlight option and will just run a red light on a basic timer if it strikes me.

I agree that moonlighting (and extra storm / cloud cover features) are not as important as having an overall quality light.

Do you know if just the reds and blues of the light can be programmed to run by themselves while the whites are off??? What about spectrum, is it a full spectrum light? (still new to lighting - thought spectrum is different than temperature kelvins?)

I really appreciate the responses.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:
I agree that moonlighting (and extra storm / cloud cover features) are not as important as having an overall quality light.

Do you know if just the reds and blues of the light can be programmed to run by themselves while the whites are off??? What about spectrum, is it a full spectrum light? (still new to lighting - thought spectrum is different than temperature kelvins?)

I really appreciate the responses.
I don't believe so, but I'm not sure. The spectrum will be everything needed for great plant growth.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
I don't believe so, but I'm not sure. The spectrum will be everything needed for great plant growth.

thank you for the replies. need to do a bit of thinking/deciding.

Once your light gets there feel free to post again and let me know what you think and how it works out, I would be interested to hear your thought once you have some hands on experience with it.

the spotlight combo seems pretty nice.... originally I was thinking of doing some finnex / spotlight combo myself...

the spectral seems good and looks sharp as well, and I have the feeling it IS quality.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:57 AM

Kelvin is the colour temperature that is produced. Spectrum is the wavelengths that are present in that colour. 6500k will have a lot more of the blue spectrum where as 3000k will have more red.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freddie9990 For This Useful Post:
Nagirrek (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie9990 View Post
Kelvin is the colour temperature that is produced. Spectrum is the wavelengths that are present in that colour. 6500k will have a lot more of the blue spectrum where as 3000k will have more red.
Through some of my reading I've heard that green can be a vital part of the spectrum for overall plant health?( Even though not as much as the reds / blues?)
would the greens also be included in those spectrums of light?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie9990 View Post
Through some of my reading I've heard that green can be a vital part of the spectrum for overall plant health?( Even though not as much as the reds / blues?)
would the greens also be included in those spectrums of light?
I am not sure but I imagine there will be some green in 6500k. I think green LED's are purely to help colours pop and look more vivid. I use RGB and white led on my planted aquariim and the colours are considerably better with it. I haven't experimented with using it for frogs yet. I just use 6500k flourescent tube
Old 05-12-2018, 02:06 AM

Presently out of 7 vivariums I have going, 6 are illuminated with fluval fresh and plant led fixtures. The bromeliad growth and color has been superior in these six.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:45 AM

It's been a minute since ive posted in this thread... been quite busy.=, but still trying to do as much lighting research as I can - pretty fascinating subject; never thought light would have intrigued me this much.

What are peoples thoughts on led vs t5ho, especially when lighting 36 inches tall??

I understand bulb replacement and heat is something to consider with t5's.
I read somewhere that t5 will produce an overall more complete spectrum, while producing a little UV while running, plus the ability to swap different spectrum bulbs seems like a bonus.

Where I'm at, at the moment:
-deciding on a spectral designs custom led setup
-going for a nice t5 fixture
-or a combo of t5's and led spots.

I want to get good color out of the plants (broms / nepenthes etc..)
I also want to be able to grow a nice moss carpet and generally have pretty even lighting over the whole tank.

I'm also considering a Jungle Hobbies led (I may need two because of the square footprint though)

I want to go with the stance where budget wont be an issue, unless someone just suggests something just insanely expensive.
I would rather go hard on the lighting and having something QUALITY that will grow plants well; as it seems like lighting is hardly the place to go cheap.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 11:18 PM

Any updates on the lighting or the viv project in general?
Currently working on lighting for a 36x18x36 and curious how you are addressing the height.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2019, 12:09 AM

Hi, Nick

I have been dealing with the same tank for a while now. I currently light it with three of the Jungle Dawn spots, they definitely penetrate to the bottom but I've not been wild about overall coverage. It is a case of very bright areas and deep shade. The geckos don't seem to care, but it has been driving me nuts.

I have a Jungle Hobbies Advanced LED - Double to be delivered on Thursday, I will let you know how that works out.
The Following User Says Thank You to rtbaum For This Useful Post:
NickMan (03-14-2019)

Tags
first build, led, lighting help, lights, nepenthes