Dendroboard banner

Hello!

303 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BobC 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm a mom of 4 kids, 3 toads,5 frogs, 5 lizards,16 snakes,6 salamanders, and various inverts, a rat, a cat, and the coolest red foot tortoise ever....geez it almost sounds like a nursey rhyme, lol. In short,I have alot of pets! I am from west Tn, and Ive only been in the amphibian hobby for a few years. Before that I mostly kept mammals and reptiles(although I've had a long standing love of toads since I was a kid). I feel like Im in a stage of the hobby that has been kinda hard, I've learned a great deal and yet I still feel very lost in some of the finer aspects. I am pretty good at terrarium building, as I am also a serious plant nerd, but I hope to learn more about the health and disease aspects of the hobby. With issues like chytrid becoming a worldwide topic, I feel incredibly unarmed in keeping my guys and gals healthy. I do have acess to an exotic avian vet about 2 1/2 hours away(thats about as close as I can get) and she is wonderful. Although she does not specialize in reptiles and amphibians, she goes the distance in finding out what to do for this or that, and sees a fair number in her practice. With as many as I have already, ppl tend to bring me unwanted, sick, or halfway out the door animals( we do not have any animal control or rescue/rehab services here..not even for cats/dogs) and she is very good to help me take care of issues at home when feasable. That said, I still see her alot between new animal and yearly checkups.
I am so glad I ran across this forum, it can be difficult being the "snake and frog lady" here. It will be nice to learn from ppl who have the same species I do. Thank you for having me!

See less See more
#2 ·
"Hi! I'm a mom of 4 kids, 3 toads,5 frogs, 5 lizards,16 snakes,6 salamanders, and various..."

Toadlily: Hi back from another Newbie, to the forum at least. It seems you bring a lot of experience with you. I kept red eye tree frogs many years ago but no other herps or amphibs. Learning tons of info and planning to build my enclosure in the coming months. Lots of other priorities so it gets pushed down on the list frequently. In the meantime I'm gathering knowledge that is defining exactly where I will start building practical experience. I think my proposed pets will benefit from all the delays. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.