Nebraska Froggers? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Regional Group & Event Announcements > MidWest
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Derek Benson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Default Nebraska Froggers?

I'd just like to know if there are any Nebraska froggers out there. I'm just getting started and would like to meet some local people in the hobby other than my zookeeper friend.
1.1 D. ventrimaculatus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Nebraska Froggers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank68516 View Post
I'd just like to know if there are any Nebraska froggers out there. I'm just getting started and would like to meet some local people in the hobby other than my zookeeper friend.
I as well was wondering that. I am from Springfield NE just out side of Omaha. I havent got any frogs yet but setting up to get some.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 AM

I know there are not only a bunch of herpers in Kansas but a ton of froggers there too. I have yet to met anyone from Nebraska who are serious froggers other than a friend who works at the Henry Doorly in the Amphibian Conservation area.
1.1 D. ventrimaculatus

Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank68516 View Post
Funny name concidering the city. That crap is everywhere. I used to live in lincoln. Matter of fact my mom is still there.

I used to live at the following locations. Nebraska - Google Maps
Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM

crank is actually a nickname of mine a will back given my name.... Chris Rank. On many things it would be written as C.RANK which many people have read as Crank and its just kinda stuck at least with my old friends who remember the old days.
1.1 D. ventrimaculatus
Old 05-07-2011, 12:22 AM

Anyone else out there? I've from Nebraska as well and yeah not much in the way of frogs.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Newbie south of Omaha about 20 miles.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:27 PM

I am looking to set up my first vivarium over the next few months. I am located in Omaha.

I see there is a "Nebraska Reptile Show" on Oct 5, but not much info about what vendors will be there. Nebraska Herpetological Society

I was at Bart's exotic pet store on 84th and Center a few weeks back. They had a couple Azureus. Said they were in the midst of talking to some local supplier who thought he would have some different varieties to offer them in the future.

I'd be curious to get the contact information for the Henry Doorly zookeeper. I was actually planning on going there soon to look at their cases to see how they have them set up and get an idea for the personality of the different frogs.

I'll plan on going to the reptile show next month, hope to make a few local contacts there. I know there must be some dart frog people around here. Feel free to message me if you've got any good info.

Thanks,
Thane
Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 PM
TWI/ASN

Who is your friend that keeps frogs from Henry Doorly? We visited the facility to get ideas for our own and met Jessie and Krissy, but neither kept amphibians at home. Very excellent set up they have going on, and now hellbenders!
OrangeTyrant likes this.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:23 PM

I just saw the post from crank68516 above. Looks like he has not been active on dendroboard since Nov. 2013 so not sure we'll get a response. Might have to try sending a private message to him.

So were Jessy and Krissy keepers at the zoo that you were chatting with? You get any good tips out of them?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 PM

I was just in Omaha for an exotic companion mammal medical symposium, so it looks like sometimes the Kansans make it over there.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 PM

Yeah you'd think with the zoo here that would draw in a lot of exotic animal types. I'll be curious to check out this Omaha reptile show on Oct 5 and see who shows up. I just ordered my first vivarium. Time to get serious!
Old 10-05-2014, 05:46 PM

Report back from the Reptile Breeder's Expo:

I went this morning, took a look at all the tables. There were a lot more people than I expected, since it didn't seemed very well advertised. Nebraska Herpatological Society posted a list of vendors on their facebook page a couple days ago.

There were only 3 selling live dart frogs that I saw. Each one only had 2-3 varieties available, and only a couple individuals of each.

The 3 breeders were:

1. Emerald Exotics out of KC. There was no one manning the table when I was there. They had 2 tanks - couple leucs and auratus.

2. GCS Reptiles out of Crete. They only had a couple individuals, I think it was leucs and azeurus.

3. Dart Frog Connection. They had a couple more varieties. From what I've gathered, they have kind of an infamous reputation on dendroboard. The Tarin guy was there, I didn't really talk to him.

There weren't many people selling dry goods, tanks, lights, etc. The best thing I found was a lady out of Gretna who had a good assortment of cork pieces, a few larger flats, and several tubes. They're called Salo's Midwest Feather farm (I guess they normally sell parrot stuff). I got some large cork flats from her. I have some tubes already but she said I could hit her up if I needed some more.

There were tons of snakes, some geckos, turtles and other reptiles there too. I'd say it was probably worth checking out, especially if you're into other herps, but not a lot of stuff for dart froggers.

I think that's about all I can remember. Let me know if you've got any questions.

Thanks,
Thane
Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 PM
TWI/ASN

Is anyone in Nebraska still active on here? I just moved to Omaha last week and brought my frog collection with me.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:28 AM

I just got my first frogs a few months ago (Tinctorius Robertus). I also saw someone in the classifieds a few days ago from Omaha (username = RMarshall). I know there's guys down at the exotic pet store (Bart's) who have a few dart frogs, and I'm assuming some amphibian keepers at the zoo also. Would be happy to meet up even if it was only a few people. There's a reptile show 2X/year but not lots of dart frogs there. I scouted it out last fall and left notes above.