Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 AM

Default 18 High Constuction Journal.....Updated 5/7

Okay, i've been planning this tank out for about a month now and i've started to actually put it together. This is my first tank and i'm doing a few things most people don't do on a beginner tank, but i think it will turn out pretty nice.

Features:
-Waterfall with Pentair 1800 pump (pump will be mounted behind the tank)
-Misting system
-Compact fluorescent lighting
-Custom stand with storage underneath
-Overflow drain
-Everything will be on timers for convenience
-Remote Temp/Hygrometer

Will add if needed:
-Filter (mechanical and/or chemical)
-Fans for cooling CF lights
-Heater

So here is a shot of the first hole i drilled. I bought some cheap bits on ebay and they worked well so far. I have two more holes to drill, so i'll see how they hold up. Also you will notice the bulkhead i made out of pvc parts:

And here's a shot of the false bottom being fitted. The cutout is for the pond area:

Here's the pond sides and bottom attatched to the False Bottom:

Here's the pond as i was putting the great stuff around the sides. Notice i put screen underneath to allow water through, but no frogs or tads:

I guess i put a little too much GS, it was my first time using the stuff:

Here it is all trimmed and ready for silicone/cocobark:

I should be done drilling soon so i can install the false bottom and start the background. I'm also hoping to start on the stand this weekend.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 AM

I like it, so far so good especially for your first tank. You also just gave me an idea for a future waterfall or river that I plan to build.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:08 PM

Dont you at least want something around the edges of that to prevent media form falling in the water?
Just a thought.

Matt

Old 02-08-2006, 03:23 PM

Yeah, i was waiting till i put screen along the false bottom. Then i can make a little bank out of GS.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:18 PM

Looks like a good start! Thanks for posting. Please keep the pix coming-their inspiring to us newbees. Especially those of us who're stalled in the design process.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:17 AM

Did a little more work today. I got all three holes finished for the plumbing. The bit has worked well so far, no cracks and it didn't wear out. The far bottom bulkhead is the uptake for the pump. The closer bottom one is the overflow (i know 1/2" is overkill but that's what i had). The upper one is for the waterfall:

Here's a closeup of the uptake. I used the elbow so that it will draw water from the very bottom and clean out any junk:

And here's the false bottom in place. Notice i had to make a raised area to accomodate the drain, this will keep the water about 3/8" to 1/2" below the bottom. Also i decided to use #7 mesh instead of screen to line the bottom, it was a little easier to work with:

Next step is to start adding silicone before the Great Stuff goes on the background.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:49 AM

Great job documenting your project with pictures. I (and I bet others) learn so much more seeing the 'progress' rather than a 'before' and 'after' shot. Please keep it up..
Old 02-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Yes, keep up the incremental updates. What's the fitting in the bottom right for?

Just an FYI, you'll need to prime your pump with that kind of uptake. Once the system has water in it even if the pump stops you should be fine, but with inital startup you'll need to prime it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaced

Just an FYI, you'll need to prime your pump with that kind of uptake. Once the system has water in it even if the pump stops you should be fine, but with inital startup you'll need to prime it.
I was actually going to suggest that you turn that elbow on its side just because of that. Also its proximity to the floor of the tank is going to interfer with flow. Just tilt it a little and you should be fine.

MAtt
Old 02-09-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
What's the fitting in the bottom right for?
That's the overflow

Quote:
The water level will be above the top of the elbow so i was hoping it would prime itself. I just used the elbow to help draw more water off the very bottom. So do i just fill the tube with water first if it doesn't prime itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubisco
I was actually going to suggest that you turn that elbow on its side just because of that. Also its proximity to the floor of the tank is going to interfer with flow. Just tilt it a little and you should be fine.
Okay, you guys are worrying me. I won't have any way to access it after i afifx the false bottom so it has to work or i'll have to tear it apart to fix it. I can't really tilt it unless i cut more off of it. It's about 1/8" off the bottom. Should i just take the elbow off?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:15 PM

Wait till you get your pump, put water in the tank, and do a plumbing run with everything hooked up. This way you will know what you have to do to make it work before anything is in the tank. I do this with all of my tanks that have a water feature. If just a really good practice IMO.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 02-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Yeah, i think i'll do that. I ordered the pump on Monday so it should be here soon. I still have some other stuff to do before i secure the false bottom anyway.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Wait till you get your pump, put water in the tank, and do a plumbing run with everything hooked up. This way you will know what you have to do to make it work before anything is in the tank. I do this with all of my tanks that have a water feature. If just a really good practice IMO.
Yes defiinately test it first. Our concerns could turn out to be nothing but it always nice to know in advance.

Matt
Old 02-11-2006, 12:38 AM

My pump showed up today so i'll be able to test it once i get the plumbing glued up. I did a test today with my cheap Zoo Med pump and everything worked pretty good. My only issue was that the water was a little too close to the false bottom, around 1/8" below it. I think i'll just raise the bottom up slightly to accomodate.

On a side note, i had a little issue with my Silicone. The first tube i applied (GE Silicone II Black) seemed really "transparent". I ended up using a whole tube to do an area 5" x 20" because i had to make it so thick (maybe 1/4"). It was my first time doing this so i thought it was normal. When i opened another tube for the sides i noticed it was much "blacker" and it didn't have to be nearly as thick (about 1/16" to 1/8"). I started to worry that the thicker stuff might not dry correctly so i ended up ripping it off before it dried. I used another tube to re-do the area and it worked just like the second tube. Anybody else have this happen?

Edit:
Added a few pix of the silicone application.

Here's the tank all taped up to keep the silicone where i want it:

And here's the silicone applied. I went way past where i want it to end up so i can trim it even with the substrate and sides of the background:
Old 02-11-2006, 01:21 PM

Keep going with the pictures... I am doing a 16Bow and a 26Bow right now (on the floor). Thank you so much for some of the ideas you gave me.......... keep the pics comming .............
Old 02-11-2006, 03:14 PM

I'd like to see pics ot the pump test in action.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:34 PM

I didn't get any pix with the small pump but i'll be sure to take some of the Pentair running. I'll probably do a video too, but i'm not sure if i can upload that or where i could host it, any ideas? I tried the Pentair out in my sink last night and it pumps A LOT!. Pretty sure i'm gonna have to use that bypass we discussed.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:47 AM

Two places where you can host it for free. You Send It or File Factory Yousentit has a 25 download/7 day storage time and max file size of 1 gig. File Factory has unlimited storage time as long as the file is downloaded once every 15 days, but max file size is 500 meg, but that's still plenty for a very very very long video of water running. I've used Yousendit but not File Factory.

I tried my 4000HH in my sink with a cookie sheet above the outlet to keep water from going every where and it almost knocked the cookie sheet out of my hands. I was very suprised by that and quite impressed too.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:01 PM

Got my plumbing glued up today, it seems to be working pretty well. It primes on it's own and the flow is adjustable via a ball valve (Thanks for the idea defaced). The only issue i see so far is the noise. The pump "hums" fairly loud. I'm gonna try some padding and/or moving the pump underneath the stand.

Here's the plumbing running:

I also have a video i'm gonna try to put online later tonight.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:02 AM

Looks good, and the pump/valve setup is attached to tubing so it can be moved, good thinking. Does the valve work well?

Once suggestion, once you get the pump where you want it, zip tie around the barbed connections. It's one of those things that might not be necessary, but it's a cheap easy fix for something that could become a huge mess.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Looks good, and the pump/valve setup is attached to tubing so it can be moved, good thinking. Does the valve work well?
Yeah, it works really well. I have to close it when i first turn on the pump in order to build up pressure but once its going i can fine tune the flow down to nearly a trickle if i want. The tubing helps keep the noise down as well since it doesn't transmit the vibrations from the pump to the tank.

And yes i'll secure the tubing when i get it in it's permanent setup just to be safe. I was thinking automotive hose clamps but zip ties are a good idea aswell, and cheaper.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 AM

Another quick update. I raised the false bottom up slightly because the water was up to the bottom of it. After that was all figured out i secured it to the bottom of the tank with a few dabs of silicone just to hold it while the Great stuff dries. Then i sprayed GS around the edges to seal the false bottom and prevent anything from getting underneath. I also sprayed the bank around the pond to keep the substrate out of the water. I siliconed a little piece of plastic mesh on the waterfall outlet in case i ever have the pump off. That way no frogs can get down the tube and play frog cannon when i turn it back on:

Next step is to keep working on the waterfall area and start adding wood and planters to the background.

Also i put the video on a hosting site, hopefully it works:
http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...1a163544a14af6
Old 02-16-2006, 06:18 AM

Another Update:

I've been working on the background for the last few days. It's not real pretty yet but i thought some people might benefit by seeing the process.

Here's the first layer of Great Stuff applied. I went with a few layers to make it more three dimensional. I left out the area around the big piece of driftwood until later. This allows me to get to the waterfall area without it in my way. Eventually, the wood will be attatched to the rest of the background. I just cut up some thinwalled PVC to use as planters:

This is a shot of the area where the waterfall will go. It will be built up more, and have some driftwood to direct the water flow:

And here's a shot of the background progressing. I'm not trying to plug Yahoo, but i can't put the tank flat on the table because of the plumbing in the back. That box was the only thing that worked:

This is the pond with peat moss siliconed on. The blue at the bottom is just painters tape to keep the silicone off of the screen. This is a pretty messy job, and time consuming. Not looking forward to doing the entire background (now i know why some people use cork flats):

And here's the full shot so far. As i said, the main piece of driftwood will be attached later, after i do the areas it blocks. The big turd on the top is my attempt a simulating a branch. I still have some carving to do but if it looks bad i'll just cut it out. The area will be covered in vining plants later anyway:

Hopefully i'll have the background finished by this weekend so i can start the top and stand followed by substrate and plants!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:05 AM

A couple more progress pics to add. Enjoy.

The waterfall and pond complete and ready for silicone and peat. The blue is painters tape to keep silicone off of the wood and bottom of the pond. Did i mention how messy this job is?:

A shot from above showing the pond area with the peat attached:

The background is progressing slowly. I haven't been able to work on it as much as i want, but it should be done this weekend.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:18 AM

Good idea with the tape! I wish I had thought of that!
Looking good!

Scott
Old 02-17-2006, 08:16 PM

Great documentation!!!!!

Love the pictures.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:44 PM

Thanks Guys. I always like seeing things documented well, so i thought i'd be thorough with my journal. I'm just about done with the background. I finally attached the main piece of driftwood and i just need to do a little more peat. After that i'll just have to trim the silicone along the front to contour with the landscape and add my substrate mix. I can't wait to start adding plants:

A view from the top showing the backgound. I'm really liking how it's turning out. It's hard to see how three dimensional it is from the pics, but there will be tons of little hiding places. Also, i made sure to make several calling spots high in the tank:

A view from the front. Again, it's hard to see but there are a lot of little ledges for frogs to crawl along:

My next update should be of the finished background and substrate. I should have the waterfall running again as well. I'll put up another video when i get to that point.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:47 PM

Man that tank is coming along very nicely Ron. Can't wait to see it in action! What're the plans for fauna?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:56 PM

Thanks James, i can't wait to get it planted. Since there is so much vertical space i think it would be a waste to put a terrestrial species in it. I'm still leaning towards Vents since i've heard they are hardy for thumbs. Eventually i'd like to get some Imitators or Intermedius so i think the Vents would be a good start.

Quick update: I finished siliconing all the peat on the background. I'm just waiting for it to dry so i can trim the edges and add the substrate. Also, i am having the glass top cut today. I'm planning on trying a "living hinge" which i heard about on here. I'll be sure to add some pics of the process in my next update.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Since there is so much vertical space i think it would be a waste to put a terrestrial species in it.
Actually, from a compositional point of view I personally like "all" tanks taller than shorter and long. I would rather do a 20H over a 20L for example for display. I'd give up a frog or two if need be to have the height, not just for plants, but for the composition as well.

When tanks start getting big enough, then the length can allow for some very nice compositions as well, mostly I think because the height becomes something one can work with. Just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB
I'm planning on trying a "living hinge" which i heard about on here. I'll be sure to add some pics of the process in my next update.
Ron-Can you elaborate on what is a 'living hinge'? I tried a search but could not find anything that describes it.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:09 AM

Someone posted about it recently, I can't remember who, but here's the details of how it works. It involves using silicone as the hinge.

Take the two pieces of glass that are going to be the top and leave about a 1/16-1/18" space between them. Mask off an area about 1/2" on either side of the gap and apply silicone to the area, about 1/18" thick. The silicone will adhear to the glass and because it's flexible it works as a hinge.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:50 AM

Default 18 High constuction journal.....Updated 2/21

Thanks Mike, here's the thread where i got the idea.
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/vi...t=living+hinge

I got my soil in finally. I didn't have time to run any water yet or start on the hinge, but i got the glass cut and i just picked up the supplies for my fan. I'm messing with that now. I'll take sime pics of the wiring process if anyones interested.

The familiar front view shot, but with soil! Also the lights are just sitting on the top for now. Even with the bulb right on the glass, it only brings the temp up 6 degrees:

And a close-up of the left side. I'm planning on packing a bunch of plants in this corner:

The right side and waterfall/ pond (now with gravel). It looks very dark under the log but it isn't bad. If i use the flash it makes it look all washed out and it's hard to see depth:

I'll work on getting the water system going again so i can post another video.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:25 AM

Did a little more work tonight. I got the "living hinge" started and wired up my ventilation fan. By the way, my Dendroboard album is full so i switched over to Photobucket. Sorry if the pics don't always work.

So here's my attempt at the living hinge. I just followed the instructions above. I'm gonna let it dry overnight and see how it works tomorrow:

Here's the fan ($6) and transformer ($10) i got at frye's. The fan is super quiet (25dBA). The Transformer is an adjustable voltage 1200 mA unit. You can see the pigtail wire that came with the fan which i wired to the transformer after i cut off the connector. Also pictured is a dust shield ($1) for the fan:

And here's the fan all soldered up. You can see my little butane soldering torch on the side. I love that little thing, it's so convenient. The fan seems to be working great, i have it blowing on my hinge to help it dry:

I should be starting on the stand and hood soon, which i need before i can start adding plants.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Photobucket. Sorry if the pics don't always work.
Image Shack I think you get 20 pics before you have to pay, but all you need for an account is an email address, so making more than one account is easy, and you can upload zips with all your pics in it. No bandwidth limit like with Photobucket.

Looks good. Did you cut your glass? Did you use oil on your cutter? I don't have alot of glazing experience, but the times I've done it with oil I've had pretty good cuts. If I try to do it dry it goes to crap.

I'm looking forward to finially seeing water :P You're doing a really great job.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Looks good. Did you cut your glass?
I'm looking forward to finially seeing water :P You're doing a really great job.
Thanks, i can't wait for the water either. I had the glass cut at a local shop. It was only 13 bucks for both pieces cut to size. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to cut it myself.

I'll try image shack if Photobucket gives me problems, i have a couple e-mail addresses i can use. Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 04:19 PM

imageshack is completely free as far as i know
Old 02-24-2006, 06:09 AM

I set up an account at ImageShack. It looks like you can only upload 20 Zipped images, but as many as you want that aren't zipped. Thanks for the help guys.

The living hinge works great. The best part is that there are no gaps to allow fruit flies to escape. We'll see how long it holds up. Even if i had to replace it every year or so i still like this over regular hinges and since i always have some extra silicone around, it's practically free. Anybody considering this should do it, it's really easy. Here's a pic of the finished hinge:

Here's the custom vent i came up with. It's just two 3/4" strips of ABS plastic glued slightly offset. The bottom one is shorter to allow it to fit down inside the lip that the top would sit on. It's hard to explain but extremely simple. It has 1/4" holes drilled along it's length. I will silicone screen to the underside to keep any flies from escaping (I need to find finer screen since i did an experiment and found that flies can get throught the screen i have now, any recommendations?). I had the plastic cut and glued at a local plastics shop for $10. I would have had them drill the holes but they wanted $25 more so i drilled them myself:

A top view showing both the hinge and the vent. I'm using a piece of tape for a handle until i get a real one. The light and fan are just sitting on top now so i can check temps and ventilation. They will both be built into the hood when finished:

I aslo did a short video of the waterfall running. I'm still working out some bugs and i may end up using a different pump but it will give an idea of what the falls will look like:

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...152a44800df7d2
Old 02-24-2006, 10:30 AM

Tried the Link above and I get a "Failure Notice"
Old 02-24-2006, 03:07 PM

Same here:
Quote:
Filename : MOV02344.MPG
Size : 4.994 MB Alert ! -- The file has failed verification, Please report so as corrective measures can be taken
I might try the living hinge, but I'm kinda partial to packing tape because it's clear and I don't have a gap. Do you plan on putting screen over the vents? Fruit flys can climb on an overhead surface. Was quite annoying when I had my fans installed.