Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 AM

Default First Vivarium

Here is my first vivarium that I finished 10 min ago. I originally started it as a crested gecko vivarium. That is why I have the Golden Pothos and Sansevieria, not my favorites. I would really like to put in an aglaonema pictum tricolor in place of the Sansevieria and maybe a few peperomia (Japonica, Angulate) and jewel orchids (Macodes Petola) in there instead of the pothos. Really the only thing holding me back from dart frogs is the flies. I raised crickets for my salamanders and hated it. Not sure I want to deal with all that again. Just not a fan of bugs. My girlfriend doesnít want them escaping into the bedroom, there are too many spiders there already. Crested Gecko diet sounds much better, but Geckoís get big and might smash my tiny delicate plants I want to get.
I figure everyone here is voting frogs. Is this tank appropriate for two Dendrobates Azureus? This tank goes in my bedroom so I want a quiet frog and I love how these look.
How many flies do I need to feed the two frogs a week, 20-40 every other day for both? How many cultures should I make and how often. What kind of costs and time are we talking for the flies? Could I store the cultures in a drawer in my basement?
Thanks for your time. I feel I have read every post on here and Pangea and changed my mind back and forth 400 times. I like them both but only have time and money for one. Any advice is appreciated.
Also Iím probably going to use springtails either way I go. Do you always have to have a culture going outside the viv? Sorry to ramble on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Viv 1.jpg (74.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Viv 2.jpg (87.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Viv 3.jpg (41.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Viv 4.jpg (38.6 KB, 57 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 03:54 AM

Default Re: First Vivarium

Welcome! Another Colorado frogger! I actually live in Cheyenne, but I spend a lot of time in CO.

It looks decent, but I do have some notes.

Whats That brom doing on the side of the wall? never seen that before. I am not sure how well that is going to work.

Did you get a glass top to replace the screen? I can't tell. if you didn't, you should, as that would be extremely helpful in keeping humidity up.

Springtails...luckily, one of the biggest microfauna guys in the country lives in Denver! His bugs are legend I'd hit him up for some springs. His username is Pumilo. And, it is a good idea to have some springtail and isopod cultures outside the viv. Here's how: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/foo...ringtails.html You can tell he has earned his nickname Doug the Bug.

As for the flies, they really are very simple to culture. I wouldn't put them in a drawer though, as they could suffocate. All you need is a big bowl to work over so when you have to open a culture (as long as the flies you are working with are flightless), escapees will hop into the bowl and won't be able to get out, so you could feed/make another culture with the flies that are in the bowl.

Do I think you could house a pair of azureus in that tank? I don't know the dimensions. It looks wither an 12x12x18 or an 18x18x24. both would be suitable to house a pair of azureus in. And I would feed an adult pair of azureus around 50 flies or so for the pair, maybe more for young'uns.

Good luck!

Last edited by frog dude; 03-15-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 AM

Thanks I will get in contact with him. The Brom is a Neoregelia and I heard they rot in the soil. I had seen them hot glued to backgrounds and suction cups and thought it would give the vivarium a little height because I didn't do a custom background. I did cut two pieces of Acrylic and put them on top of the screen so I can remove them if need be.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 AM

Ok. Fair warning: The metal top will rust away with exposure to the high humidity and little ventilation, so ripping out the screen top and replacing it with a glass top (siliconed in) would eventually be a good idea. Acrylic or plexi glass won't work after it has been glued in, as the extreme differences in humidity will cause it to warp really badly, so glass will be a better option in the long run.

Pothos are one of my favorite vivarium plants, even though they are so common. I like how they can take over everything and give the vivarium a really jungle-like look. Yeah, I'm a cheapskate

Last edited by frog dude; 03-15-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 AM

Alright cool thanks for all the advice. It's a 18x18x24 so glad to hear that will work for Azureus as they are my favorite looking so far.

Would I be able to store the flies in the garage its insulate but probably gets down to 60 sometimes. Is that 50 flies a week or a feeding?

I like Pothos too, and I'm sure it will grow on me, but I just love things that are real unusual and exotic, I know you can't tell by my simple viv so far haha.

Its best to have no ventilation at all? Should I leave one screen or just replace them both.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:27 AM

no garage wouldn't work either. Per feeding could do every other day with feeding wont hurt possibly every 2 days. you can go all glass with the top exoterras have ventilation by the doors so that should be plenty plus plants are going to give of oxygen during the day.

Tags
azureus, bromeliads, fly cultures, orchids