Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:03 AM

Default My first two tanks so far. 55g and 29g verts.

Well, I've been browsing the forums for a few months now and figured it was time to properly introduce myself. I fell in love with the idea of a planted tank a few years back. I did tons of research and even had the cans of great stuff and tubes of silicone in my possession. At the time, I wanted to make a 55g vert for crested geckos. Needless to say, I met an amazing woman and got married in April. Things have started to settle down and I find myself wanting to make beautiful things with my hands, and I 've always loved reptiles and amphibians.

About a month and a half ago, I began construction on my 55g vert and it has turned out reasonably satisfactory to me. Of course, lots of things could be improved upon. My coco fiber didn't stick in all the proper spots, so I had to modify as I went. I also ended up replanting the entire bottom of the tank already, because I didn't like the way it looked. There are still a few more things I need to fine tune, once my creative juices relax and recuperate from building my 29g vert (go $1 per gallon petco sale) . Ha.
Without further ado, here are 2 crappy pictures of the 55 gallon taken with my wife 's ipho
ne. Also 1 shot of an inhabitant, a lygodactylus kimhowelli, or yellow headed dwarf gecko.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thanks for looking! Advice, comments, and constructive criticism all greatly appreciated.
Fellow admirer of beauty,
Jeff S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 05:46 AM

Smile Re: My first two tanks so far. 55g and 29g verts.

Next up, my 29gallon that has been occupying my free time.
I got the tank at petco and decided I wanted an unobstructed viewing area, so I derimmed it. I like the resulting look. My goal for this tank was to make more surface area on the background. I really like the exposed tree roots that give a cave type of feel. I made the background with black pond foam, but decided to try white silicone for the coco fiber adhesive. Really. Stupid. Idea. I thought it would let me see the spots I missed complete coverage with the eco- earth. Boy did it ever. I ended up peeling almost all of the silicone off and reshaping the background a little.

While re-evaluating my progress, I couldn't stand the roots just coming out of the background, so I fashioned a tree trunk using baked cottonwood bark and more expanding foam. The results were much more to my liking.

I had used a screen vent on the 55 gallon I made, and I disliked how it obstructed the view of the tank. This time, I got a diamond hole saw about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and using a cordless drill, drilled a hole in the top of the tank, to mount a Cpu fan (not yet mounted) .
Big thanks to Pumilo for this thread http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-
construction/58594-how-drill-your-glass.html

Next, I wanted a water feature, but after reading about the difficulties with them, decided to go with a small stagnant pool instead. I had some sweet river rock that helped this turn out really well.

I'm sort of a figure it out as I go kind of guy, and midwaythrough decided I wanted the tank to look like a tree with its roots descending into a mountain stream. Based on some picture research from mountainous areas of central America, I feel like I captured at least some of that feel. You are welcome to disagree with that and offer constructive criticism, in fact, I would greatly appreciate help from the great minds on this forum, just to add the finishing touches. It needs more plants, especially a ficus or 2 on the bg., and a ton more moss growth.
Here are the pics so far. Again, taken with my wifes iphone. I need to get my dad to come over with his Nikon dslr
Btw, my plan was to house some bassleri or pepperi in here, but now I'm afraid there's not enough terrestrial space.

FTS

A shot of the tree without the lianas

With the lianas wrapping thetree. Not done with their placement.

close up of pond area. Added bonus=easy siphoning.

Lastly, an almost full tank shot inside the tank. My plan is to insert a nice brom into the small branch sticking out of the tree : it already is drilled for that purpose.

Thanks again for looking!
Jeff S.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:42 PM

Default Re: My first two tanks so far. 55g and 29g verts.

If anyone has ideas for what plants to fill the dead spaces with, that would be awesome. Both tanks need more plants, but I 'm not sure what would look right in there, without taking over the tank and hardscape.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 AM

I think both look nice. I just finished collecting a couple garbage bags or amazing wood for my vivariums along with several gallons of different types of moss from the property we are purchasing in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Moss looks incredible to me regardless of its placement so that gets my vote. I have enough to completely cover the bottom and sides and features in my 20g, my 46g, and my 12x12x18 Exo Terra
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 AM

Well the Nepthytis in the 29g has been putting on tons of new growth. I'm running 2 23w CFL's over the tank. Do you think this is enough light?

The pond area got reworked, and now it's super shallow, just enough water to provide siphon access, and keep humidity high.

Planted a peperomia caperata "ripple" in several places in the tank, and the japanese painted fern has grown a ton.

I harvested some moss locally and sterilized it. I added that and some Java moss to quite a bit of the tank. It took forever to acclimate, but is turning super green and starting to spread. Watching the moss turn so green post-bleaching is so enjoyable.

Took some cuttings of Selaginella Martensii and have them planted midway up the background, hanging toward the substrate.

I'll post updated pictures soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Here are the promised pictures. I got some sweet Neo. pups, Ionantha Mexicanas, and tropical moss from NEHERP.

Last edited by Trickishleaf; 10-04-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: messed up images
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 PM

It looks great!!