just thought I'd share: 55 gallon classroom vivarium (tinctorius pair) - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Bfrog
  • 3 Post By Bfrog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 AM

Default just thought I'd share: 55 gallon classroom vivarium (tinctorius pair)

So I teach middle school Science (7th and 8th grade). I used to teach in the public school system and there is no way I could have done this then. Now I teach in a large private school and I'm fortunate enough to be in a school where I can not only have dart frogs in the classroom, I can breed them in class! My wife is pretty thrilled that I've expanded outside of the house too...

Eager to share my frog passion with the kids I decided to setup a 55 gallon build with a breeding pair of tinctorius cobalts (thanks to chinoanoah).

We had eggs within our first week from my azureus pair at home and from our new classroom friends. Now we have about 20 tads in the water and plenty more eggs about to hatch. :-) just thought I'd share... sorry for the bad cell phone photos.

Mist King works AWESOME...

air circulation

it's so fun to watch the kids get into it... They constantly check on the frogs and tadpoles now... It's awesome! had to share...

Boyd

ps- sorry for the crappy phone pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: just thought I'd share: 55 gallon classroom vivarium (tinctorius pair)

Beautiful frogs, truly beautiful tank, and super, SUPER, beautiful idea for your classroom.
It is so good to log in and this is the first post I read.
Nice work!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 AM

Default Re: just thought I'd share: 55 gallon classroom vivarium (tinctorius pair)

awesome setup man! i have a 55 im converting here soon. i wish my teachers would have done something like this back when i was in school

Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM

That's a great idea! teaching about this incredible frogs can motivate kids studing sciences.
I like so much cobalt, it's one of my favorite tincs
Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM

That's great! I bet the kids love it.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM

Nice work involving the kids... and great looking tank!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Great tank! Good way to get them started early in the hobby
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM

thanks guys! It's been a fun process. The frog hobby has always been my peaceful retreat when I get home after school, but now I have a large piece of that retreat in my own classroom.

I teach in a school that specializes in special needs including learning and social disorders. Whenever a student needs a break, has a break down, or needs a moment, they all run to my classroom now and stair at the frogs. It only takes a few moments for them to calm down, relax, and re-think their situation/reaction. The hobby is quickly becoming their retreat too! They also do a great job of taking care of the frogs and the tads.

I posted our tads in the "breeding and tadpole forum" but thought I'd share a link to it here...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/bre...tml#post727493

we went with the tupperware tub/false bottom/aquarium heater setup. keeping the tads in 16 oz deli cups at 78 degrees. Our first clutch has hind legs so we're starting to get excited.... I can't wait for our first morph!
frogface, andry and Shinosuke like this.