Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 02:10 AM

Default Frog Rack Update!!!

Hey,

This is an update to the frog rack that I've been working on. The Isla Popa's (and the other pumilio on the rack) are doing well, but haven't started to breed for two reasons: 1. I wanted them to start beefing up a little and 2. I didn't get the misting set up so that I could beef them up a little.

My understanding is that it is important that before breeding that you condition the frogs. They've been getting conditioned on dusted fruit flies + isopods and springtails. In another video, I covered "in tank composting" and although I don't have any evidence as this is a new experiment - I think they would be more nutritious as the microfauna are constantly feeding - gut loaded. Maybe this will have better outcomes for breeding and rearing???? Maybe the froggers out there have some input on this.

I've come to find that it is also important, as I point out in the video, that there isn't any stagnant water collecting in the tank.

Please go to my youtube channel: miniconservatory's Channel - YouTube

Click on "Video" then Click on "Frog Rack Update"

Happy Frogging!!!
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Frog Rack Update!!!

I just watched and all I can say is wow!

First off the broms were superb! Can we get a list please?!?!?!!

Your tanks were simple but they modeled the pumilios living environment minus the trees. I thought it was a great setup and hope to see updates as it progresses. What are those stone things with wholes they might look cool covered with moss or covered with leaf litter.

Varadero
Benedicta
Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks!!!

The stones are cichlid stones, they come in a 15 pack from drsfostersmith.com - you're right with regard to the moss. Its been too cold to get things shipped to me but I plan on some moss and more orchids later. Not using real stone helps with the weight issue and gives them hiding spots. I guess the other thing is that you can place leaf litter inside as well. I think that it would make a good egg laying site because of the humidity. I just remember that the pumilio will lay eggs almost in anything including empty coke cans - so I'll be going back and stuffing them with a little leaf litter. The other thing is that the broms in the bottom tank are not tied down with any fishing line - that way if they pup or die, I can remove them and do what I need (we'll have to see how that goes). Instead, they are anchored or held up with small pieces of wood or cork - I got the idea from japanese gardens. I will get the list of broms to you over the weekend - I got the broms from tropicalplantz.com. Thanks for the kind words.

Happy Frogging!

Last edited by yomamafat; 12-20-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:45 PM

Cichlid stones! What a great idea

Tags
frog, pumilio, rack, room, update