Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Default 15 Gal. River System Constr. Jrnal / 56k warning

Well I just started to make this tank a couple of days ago. First I attached my cork panel with silicone and then I sprayed down Great Stuff for the river system and water fall.

This is after letting the Great Stuff Dry overnight.

This is after cutting a spot for the standing filter and for the turn at the end of the river so it will flow into the little pool in back and run back into the filter.

This is after I dremeled the shape of the river and waterfall and cut some of the Great Stuff away with a blade.

Heres after adding some rocks for the waterfall and river.

Heres the finished river.

Now I need to put silicone all over the Great Stuff to seal it and to put coco-fiber on it to cover up the Great Stuff and to make it look like ground. Then when it all drys, I will plant it and post more pics. Hope you enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 02:55 PM

the only thing i don't see is a little tunnel in the back of where the filter sits. how is the water going to get back into that chamber at the beginning of the waterfall/river?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:12 PM

Did those greenish rocks in your river come from WalMart? I have some that look similar, but have not used them because I was concerned over their safety. When you rinse them, they turn green. After they dry, I can still feel like a powdery substance on the surface. It's probably nothing, but I was wondering if anyone could identify them.

Rob

Old 09-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Ya Devin I have to cut that part out still. I have a hole maker I just got so I will do that today. Then tube will go into the hole to connect to the filter. I just got alittle ahead of myself yesterday and forgot that hole. So I had to wait for things to dry.

rleyh, I have not used the rocks exept for this project. I dont think that the powdery outside is anything to worry about.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:38 PM

Very nice river, I used the same technique when creating mine. The one thing I would change now that I've let it run for several months, is to put some kind of liner inbetween the rocks and foam. Either plastic bags or pond liner. After a while, water finds its way through the foam and starts to leak. If I had to make my river again, I would surely put liner in there, it's very annoying trying to stop the leaks.

Luke
1.0.3 D. ventrimaculatus
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Cristobal"
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Rio Branco"

1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.4 Hymenochirus boettgeri
Old 09-21-2005, 05:52 PM

i had some rocks from Home Depot i was worried about. i ha even read bad things about an oily residue that was created by them. i boiled mine about 10 times over to ensure anything that could leach out would. after about 5-7 boils the rocks had not film or residue, so boiled them a few more times just to make sure

as far as a leaking river, its easy enough to coat the GS with silicooine before placing the rocks onto it. i did this and it works flawlessly. this tank hasnt been set up as long as Luke's, but i tested it pretty vigorously.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:27 PM

Nug, Looking good so far. What filter are you going to use to power your water feature with?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:28 PM

Well luke, I lined the whole outside of the river with silicone before I put any rocks done. So it should be pretty sealed. Thx for the heads up though.

MATTHEW MAHLING, I dont really know what kind of filter it is, I will have to check at home. I got it at walmart, for like $10. Its a standing filter for newts and turtles and stuff.