Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By slipperheads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 AM

Default 4 weeks later, finished my 18x18x24 exo

Well went to the SD reptile show and bought a ton of stuff (bless my wife and kids that put up with me there)

anyway I bought a trio of Aurautus, so .. needed another tank (they've been in QT and a temp tank while this was under construction)

Unfortunately I didn't do many WIPs pics (I have one lol)

It's a usual GS background, used silicone and Toulene (sp) to thin it out.. painted it and dusted with peatmoss. In the back right corner I took a cork round cut in half.. and behind it is a recirculating fan system, built borrowing concepts from Grimms build, utilizing corrugated plastic board. Had some issues with the GS i put back there collapsing the structure, so it's not as perfect as I wanted but still flows good. i have 2 40mm side by side, sucking from bottom pushing to the top aimed straight ahead. there's a door on top to allow for access if they need to be replaced.

On the back left i took a 4" PVC pipe I had laying around, and that leads into the false bottom to allow access to my pump for the drip wall on the left hand side.

The drip wall I did the "shattered Mosaic" technique another member posted on here that IMO looks outstanding, I just took a cork flat, and broke it appart siliconed in place and stuffed w/ Sphag moss. below I have a divider between the substrate to create a rock bank for the drip wall to drip into w/o killing my substrate. Unfortunately its a little to thin and the random drip gets into my substrate, so I cut another section of plexi to try and prevent TOO much saturating of my substrate, which has worked pretty effectively.

My Substrate is a home made brew of things I've had laying around, pretty much emulating the ABG mix.. Charcoal, sphag, orchid bark, peat moss, coco soil, leaf mulch. it drains pretty well and is the first time I've tried a mix like this (most times I just use potting soil w/ orchid bark, but I had most the other stuff on hand from cultures and other projects) seems to be working out great it retains dampness w/o being overly wet. we'll see how it goes in the long run. however my Springs have been thriving in it as well as my isos

I seeded w/ springs, and orange and dwarf white isos. the springs have taken off, the isos are around, I just hope they've got their hiding spots as the frogs will be introduced shortly as soon as i smooth out my temp humidity issues.

I have a 18" exo hood w/ 20w CFL's that light it up great, but w/ this heat wave and here in so cal, it's been staying pretty consistent at 84 during the day. I'm going to raise the light w/ some PVC hangers, (saw the idea from another member on here and looks great) I currently have plexi sheets over the screening on the top but my humidity still sits around 50-60%. I'm going to silicone it completely and see how it does at that point. I'm wondering if my two fans are circulating too much? I have my mistking running 20 seconds 3 times a day, but I can't really change it as the system feeds 4 other tanks as well. Maybe some hand misting to supplement, however I have a 40B vert that I don't have humidity issues with.

so hopefully in a day or so i'll be able to relocate my Green/bronze Aurautus breeding trio to this and hopefully get some eggs (they haven't been laying since I've brought them home, however the previous owner said he was getting a consistent supply of eggs. I dunno.. maybe they just don't like me lol. )

anyway.. here's 3 pics. as a reward for reading.

Construction:

Drip wall:

Full tank shot:

Thoughts, comments, suggestion, welcomed.

If anyone would recommend some jewel orchids (and placement) I'm really interested in trying my hand at some orchids, especially since I've got some good airflow.
The Following User Says Thank You to MA70Snowman For This Useful Post:
RNKot (08-03-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 AM

Default Re: 4 weeks later, finished my 18x18x24 exo

Wow. I must say it really looks amazing! Job Well done. The cork bark looks amazing as well. b4 Introducing any PDF, make sure you get the temp and humidity and any other problems fixed first!
1.1.0 Imitator "Varadero"

Last edited by ConFuCiuZ; 08-01-2011 at 02:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ConFuCiuZ For This Useful Post:
MA70Snowman (08-02-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 04:07 AM

Nice tank. have you thought of getting some thumbnails? i think they would use the vertical space nicely

Old 08-02-2011, 02:03 AM

I have been wanting to get thumbs for some time now, Saw some at the SD rep show, and been wanting them. haven't done much research on them outside of casual browsing, Also looks like I might be deploying for a little while so holding off on more frogs at the moment.

More then likely when I get back I have a 120 Gal thats been sitting in my garage for some time.. I'll build that up. put probably my Leucs in there, and tear down my 40B vert and redo that for some thumbs.

Got my temps stable, humidity is sitting ~80% so far. I siliconed up my plexi top, added some airline tubing around the frame of the door. turned down the fans, and raised my lights. i'll give it another 24hrs and see how it's holding up. then Introduce my Aurautus.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM

If that's a Tilandsia down low in the back corner, you may want to swap it with something and get it to a drier location (higher in the tank). If it stays wet, it will rot.

Awesome tank. Looks way better than my tanks. Great job.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 AM

The Tili in question (i'm assuming you're talking bottom left) seems to be doing alright, but I really don't know where I'd move it. If i put it on the twig higher up I'm afraid it'll be to close to the lights and dry out. maybe I'll just move the twig it's on higher by about 2-3 inches.

Also, I'm on day 2 of solid temps.

Avg'd: 73*/82% humidity, with only one fan running. My front glass is fogging, so I'm turning on the 2nd fan and will see what that does to my temps and if it even helps the fogging. If not I might cut a 1" strip of the plexi from the front and see if that helps.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:57 AM

Looks DOPE!!!!!!!!!! Im JEALLYOUS! I saw that Petco Had the ZooMed 18x18x24 for $85 This week
Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 AM

Any updates????
Old 09-15-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA70Snowman View Post
It's a usual GS background, used silicone and Toulene (sp) to thin it out..
Do you mean Toluene? Thats nasty stuff, the company I work for uses it. Sure looks and sounds like you know what your doing though, nice job! Can you explain how and to what effect you use the toluene? Also, did you say you painted the background?

Cant wait for updated pics!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 AM

Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyck22 View Post
Do you mean Toluene? Thats nasty stuff, the company I work for uses it. Sure looks and sounds like you know what your doing though, nice job! Can you explain how and to what effect you use the toluene? Also, did you say you painted the background?

Cant wait for updated pics!
Toluene thins the silicone, which can then be painted onto the back of the viv. While it is wet, you quickly push something like loose tree fern fiber or coco fiber, into the wet silicone. You'll want to do this with the viv on it's back. This method is typically done over a Great Stuff sculpted background to add contours.
This creates a nice earthy background.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
MA70Snowman (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 AM

Doug, this thread is OLD!
carola1155 and frogparty like this.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 AM

Damn Doug!!! I never had you pegged as a necromancer! Spoooooky!

Old 06-12-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggenem View Post
Any updates????
Well to answer this old question... It got tore down around 6/2012, due to a move, I recently rebuilt it, and referenced this threAd in a new thread I've recently posted, hence the new attention and Doug answering the bit about toluene as that was a specific question asked in my new thread. (And Thanks Doug for answering that here where it belongs and not in my other thread)