Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MeiKVR6
  • 1 Post By A&K Reptiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Default Kevin's 20H viv build! (First one!)

Hey everyone. I am going to start designing my 20 high aquarium for a pair of R. Imitator "Tarapoto". I will also be constructing a 36 gallon bowfront for either a group of leucs, tinc variant (thinking some cobalts), or some green sibs. That build will come at a later date though. As for this one I am starting to draw out plans but want to try and get it Looking like their natural environment so I have to look into what their native habitat is like. Im making this thread not only to show my progress but to ask questions as I go.
Since I wont have the tank till Friday ill just ask some questions first.

#1) my room stays pretty warm in the summer months mainly from all the heating apparatus that I have going for my geckos and fish (it stays around 80+ in the day, 70s at night...and that's with a fan on and the window open.) However it gets quite brisk in the winter...(sometimes my parents can't afford kerosene for the furnace so we have to bunk up tight) what would we a good heat method for the winter months or cold summer evening?

#2) can someone direct me to a DIY vert conversion?

#3) how do you clean the plants that go in the tank to insure that they wont bring any nasties in with them?

#4) should I populate my viv with isos and spingtails prior to getting the frogs. (Wont have them till October most likely so plenty of time)

#5) I don't want a water feature for the water quality issues so is there any DIY water bowls that look natural?

I think that's it for now. So if someone could help that would be great.

Thanks!

Kevin Bullis of
A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Kevin's 20H viv build! (First one!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&K Reptiles View Post
#1) my room stays pretty warm in the summer months mainly from all the heating apparatus that I have going for my geckos and fish (it stays around 80+ in the day, 70s at night...and that's with a fan on and the window open.) However it gets quite brisk in the winter...(sometimes my parents can't afford kerosene for the furnace so we have to bunk up tight) what would we a good heat method for the winter months or cold summer evening?
Most darts are very temperature sensitive... 80+ won't do. Aim for 72-78, since temps above 80 can cause stress & death. During the winter - heat pads can be added to the vivarium to keep temps up. Don't take chances tho - if you don't think the habitat will be steady enough as far as temperatures go... Don't risk it.

Quote:
#3) how do you clean the plants that go in the tank to insure that they wont bring any nasties in with them?
Plant Processing & Procedure

Quote:
#4) should I populate my viv with isos and spingtails prior to getting the frogs. (Wont have them till October most likely so plenty of time)
Most people do to allow time for the springs to establish a good population before adding frogs. Adding them about a week after the vivarium is built is a good idea, since it'll allow for a bit of mold (food) to build up, so they'll have more to eat.

Quote:
#5) I don't want a water feature for the water quality issues so is there any DIY water bowls that look natural?
Darts do not require water bowls.

Water features are a topic of debate. They look nice, but most of the time the frogs don't benefit from them - and in my opinion it's almost never worth the extra expense, time, and later maintenance involved. Using external pumps & filtration is the only way I'd suggest a water feature. Even then, tho - it's more about aesthetics than anything.
ConFuCiuZ likes this.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 PM

How do you suggest I keep the temperature regulated?

A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195

Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
How do you suggest I keep the temperature regulated?

A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195
Well temp regulation is always tricky. Most vivariums maintain a slightly higher temp than to room temperature. so try keeping your room temps around 75 and have either central air or ur a/c on. Also having vents in your lids work. Not having your lighting unit directly on top of the viv. Elevated a few inches of the lid. Having the correct lighting bulbs helps. you want one that gives off minimum heat.

MAKE SURE your Vivarium meets the requirements b4 putting your PDFS in
1.1.0 Imitator "Varadero"

Last edited by ConFuCiuZ; 07-26-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone. I am going to start designing my 20 high aquarium for a pair of R. Imitator "Tarapoto". I will also be constructing a 36 gallon bowfront for either a group of leucs, tinc variant (thinking some cobalts), or some green sibs. That build will come at a later date though. As for this one I am starting to draw out plans but want to try and get it Looking like their natural environment so I have to look into what their native habitat is like. Im making this thread not only to show my progress but to ask questions as I go.
Since I wont have the tank till Friday ill just ask some questions first.

Kevin Bullis of
A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195
Btw, make sure you read on the species and what it natural habbitat looks like. Leucs are semi arboreal species and like to climb. so having a high vivarium would be good for them. They also like to be in groups aswell. As soon as your finish drawing out your plans, post a scan or pic of it
1.1.0 Imitator "Varadero"
Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 PM

I sure will! And Yeah I don't plan on PDF till octoberish. I will try To cool my room down. The only problem I'm my leopard geckos need 95 belly heat and if it gets to cold in my room the heat cable can't compensate so it drops to about 70....not good. Maybe I can relocate them to my closet....or vice versa?

A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195
Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM

One idea would be to isolate the leos...you could build a frame around the tanks with a plywood top and plastic sheeting for sides. Will it look pretty?...heck no but it will hold in some of the heat and help you keep the rest of the room a little cooler. Obviously putting them in a closet (which would hold the heat better) would be best. Would you be able to put a window ac unit in? That could solve all of your problems with heat. Heating in the winter could be accomplished by putting a space heater in, just make sure to keep an eye on humidity. My old house got super hot upstairs in the summer, took lots of work to get temps into an acceptable range. Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 PM

I'm sure I could squeeze them in my closet. And an a/c unit could work but I'd have to pay for the electicty usage. I will move stuff around and try to get my temps more stable.

A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195
Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
you could build a frame around the tanks with a plywood top and plastic sheeting for sides
Would styrofoam insulation sheets work better? that way they can also be spray painted
Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boabab95 View Post
Would styrofoam insulation sheets work better? that way they can also be spray painted
Styrofoam would hold in the heat better, but ventilation would be harder. With the thick plastic sheeting you can just roll up the sides to provide airflow if it gets too hot or humid. I got the idea from my dad's cold-frames for his bonsai. They keep the trees from getting too cold in the winter, but on our weird hot winter days that we get he could roll up the sheet on one side to keep them from getting too hot. The sheeting will also allow light transmission. The other thing about using the plastic sheeting is that it is easier to move/deconstruct. Im sure parts of the styrofoam could be hinged to do the same thing though.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 PM
TWI/ASN

Glad to see you're doing your homework. Keeping stable temperatures is an absolute must. Plan on using a window a/c unit and a space heater.

Here's some threads to get you started.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/car...ackground.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...ction-how.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...ert-build.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...-vivarium.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...-design-2.html
Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the links Rick ill check them out!

A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195
Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 AM

Well it looks like another late night for me. I hope to have my room rearranged so that my Leos are in the closet by the end of the night.

A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195
Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 AM

Alright got the rack moved into my closet. My thermostat keeping my Leos warm says its only 89 under there tank So its colder than that in my room. Anywho here are some pictures....please don't mind my indecent "man cave" poster of ke$ha. ;p

And for good measure my male albino checkered garter "Herbert II" munching on a pinky.

A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195
Perfiikt likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to A&K Reptiles For This Useful Post:
johnyrocks (07-29-2011)