Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SutorS
  • 1 Post By Joseph26
  • 1 Post By SutorS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 AM

Default D. auratus campana feeding

Hello all,
Here's a video of 3 of my 5 campana eating. I got these from another member and have them in QT before I introduce the whole group to a new enclosure. These are FAR bolder than my other two, infact this video doesn't even do it justice. The difference in attitudes of the two groups is a great difference... the frogs in this video are bold and kinda scoot around in short hops, almost hopping clumsily, to get termites and flies and seem to never climb. The other two are shy, I can see them while they sit in a brom or if I sit silently for a while post feeding. They're frequent climbers, hiding in broms and such, and shoot around in accurate jumps if disturbed. Regardless, hope you enjoy the video and thanks to those who've posted such useful information and who responded to questions of mine.

-Sean
srrrio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 AM

Default Re: D. auratus campana feeding

Are those termites??

Check out my Wholesale Viv Supplies ad in the classifieds!! Lots of quality stuff!!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 PM

My Campana falll in that second category I can hardly breath or else they'll jump back under a coco-hut.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Yep, those are termites. How old are your Campana? How much privacy do they get? I suspect my shy two are a bit younger, but I can't be sure. I have the shy pair in a well-planted vivarium with lots of hiding places, but when I enter the room they slowly hop outta view. If they're in a brom or higher up in the enclosure they seem to just sit still when I enter the room. I was doing research in Madagascar for a month while my brother took care of them. While gone, I had them in an empty room with no human traffic aside from feedings... he told me they would come to the glass when it was feeding time and practically wait to be showered in flies.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM

their tank isn't as well planted as some, but they definitely have privacy. Even when feeding if they notice me they'll hop back to the entrance of a coco-hut and only strike flies close enough so they don't have to stick more than their heads out. But as soon as I leave they'll come out and hop all over creation.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM

They are about a year old.
kwnbee likes this.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Nice looking frogs. Hope they do well in the group setting for you.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM

thanks! I hope so too. I've never kept this morph in a group of over 3
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 PM

update: woke up this morning to all 5 of my reasonably shy D. auratus campana hanging out. Definitely not hunting. At 10:40am I sent my girlfriend a message saying "I think theyre soon to breed, I feel it." Sprayed (soaked the pressure sprayer in heated water to raise the mist temp) and fed. At 11:19am I heard a click, like when you first put a record on, followed by an immediate buzz. I've heard 3 calls since then. Quite a coincidence, right? The only changes I've made are lighting (adjusted where light was coming from) and I bought a new pressure sprayer. Been using a hand sprayer for a month or two.

Thanks fellow member Readhead87xc for 3 of the 5 frogs, one of which I suspect is the calling male, and thanks to all those who've answered my questions thusfar.

Conditions: 78degrees F, misted approximately 2 minutes with luke warm water, minimal in-viv. adjustments (i.e. hands in the enclosure)
Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 PM

it's also worth noting that the frogs are now in a larger, more grown in/over vivarium, not the temporary enclosure in the video.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:20 AM

Nice frogs, do you have any recent photos of the group
Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks, I love auratus. May get another morph for a future viv. In the first pic you can see one I believe to be a female and the hand of one I believe to be a male. These spend much time together and are the original supposed pair. I do not believe they are breeding.
The second picture: small one to the left is the one I believe to be the breeding male, the other is the one hiding in the above picture. I'll attempt to photograph the 5 soon.... with these guys it's easiest with termites
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auratus 1.jpg (24.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg auratus 2.jpg (25.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM

Here's the other 3. The middle is the male I've seen calling and calls every morning. I separated the 3 (the male and wrestling females) into another viv. with more hiding spots. I've seen no wrestling, but TON's of courting and calling. I found 6 eggs (3 positively bad, 3 developing) in the viv I removed them from and 3 eggs in the new enclosure the day I moved them. I think the 3 new eggs came from a different female. Enjoy.

Are your frogs still throwing down huge clutches, Ocellarus?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 AM

I don't see the pics, but your pics of your other ones are really nice.

They are producing around 10 eggs each clutch, but I'm not really interested in mass raising frogs at the moment, so i'm not checking under the coca huts that often. Currently im attempting to raise four tads from them.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Here it is. I don't know why it didn't attach last time.

10 eggs average?! Wow, when I used to breed auratus four years ago (college keeping darts = unsafe) they would only produce about 6 maximum and it wasn't average. The first clutch I've gotten from these campana was a clutch of 6, 3 bad eggs 3 developing nicely. I found a small clutch of 3 I believe to be from the other female (and possibly bad) in the picture.

Do you suspect you have one male breeding with one female or multiple? My pair years ago would lay every couple days and sometimes a few days in a row, but not clutches of that size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auratus 3.jpg (59.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Those are nice frogs you have, Both of my males breed with all three females (I've seen both males being courted by the females; my smaller male gets most of the action though). They are all well fed, so that may have something to do with it. Again I dont really pay attention to egg production at this point so they may be laying multiple generations on one dish.

Do you find your campana to be on the shy side? I would love to get some more auratus in the future and am thinking between campana and blue and black (which I hear are very shy).
Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM

I'd say they are on the shy side, yes. I think, provided with proper conditions, they can be very bold. Having your auratus tank sandwiched between two viv's (with the ends touching being the densely vegetated or GS'd sides) or in a dark area with just it's light on (i.e. not in a constantly lit livingroom) is a good idea.

The enclosure the 5 were in was poorly planned for auratus. I have removed the 3 and placed them in a more simple enclosure with many hiding spots. Soon I will be removing the remaining two and doing similarly. Though they are not in your face begging for food like my imitators, I can nearly always find 3 of the 5 sitting right out in a brom or out hunting and I see them scoot around all the time, dodging me.

Again, though they are shy I do hear/see them call/court every morning, they're always foraging, etc. They're morning and evening frogs, far from lazy during those times.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Beautiful frogs. One of my personal favorites. I have mine in a group of 4 and they all seem to be pretty bold for me. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Beautiful frogs
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Thanks! Though I didn't make em. I think they're severely underrated, but maybe I just love auratus.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM

Any update on the breeding?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Yes, thanks for asking. I hadn't heard much calling this week, but I did discover a new clutch (5) saturday that seem to be fertile. I am currently waiting on 3 tadpoles to hatch any minute and those will be my first ones from the campana. I hope to eventually hear calling in the other viv. with the other two... hoping theyre not both females
ocellaris123 likes this.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 PM

still gettin' eggs. 4:20 am this morning, the only calling male in the group of 5 felt the need to awaken me from my slumber. Got some small mushrooms starting to pop up around the enclosure, that's one of the first. I plan to eventually combine the two groups in a 60gal long or something as soon as the first tadpoles morph out (should be end of nov.).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campana_eggs_4.jpg (91.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg shroom_I.jpg (93.3 KB, 7 views)