No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JakkBauer
  • 1 Post By JakkBauer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 AM

Default Jakk's Viv build

Ok so after debating for months and months on whether or not to build a false bottom, do a waterfall, etc... I have finally built my viv. Ive had all the supplies for months ready to go and just didnt know what I wanted to do. What pushed me over the edge was when I was at Repticon in Atlanta and I had the pleasure of speaking with a Zoo Med rep named Eric. He had a nice Zoo Med (mine is Exo Terra) setup just like mine and it looked awesome! After talking for a few minutes I discovered he put it together in just a couple hours along with a few other tanks on display in his hotel room the night before. I said to myself, stop sitting on it and just do it. So thanks Eric I took my inspiration from you!

I always felt like I didn't have enough space to make this work but after seeing this display at Repticon I was inspired. It had mounds of earth piled up in the back making a hill section sloping down towards the front increasing the land space to work with. It also featured a waterfall coming from a hydroton layer with a simple pump. Well I actually had a 501 canister laying around so I used that instead which gave me easy access to the whole waterfall situation saving a huge headache (and some space).

I know you will frown but I brought home my frogs from the same repticon and they are chillin in a critter keeper full of sphagnum with a cocohut for about two more weeks while the viv settles. The people from Under the Canopy assured me this would be okay even though the Josh's Frogs people were much more insistent on having it setup prior. Everyone has their own opinion and I am pretty good with animals and have a lot of time to tend to them and mist, etc, so I felt like everything would be fine (and things are so far).

Anyways enough about that here is my build... enjoy, or let me know of any ideas/improvements and certainly let me know of any party fouls!

I removed the substrate in the middle of the logs and replaced with gravel later on for waterflow.

The water does not pool so the gravel area is still usable space for the frogs and its nice and wet

The waterfall trickles down a small cave made by mopani wood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Jakk's Viv build

Here are some pics of the lid. Ive been stressing all week about making special adjustments to the top to seal it up and still be able to get my tubing inside... Turns out I just needed to relax not get so technical. I got a couple pieces of glass cut from Lowes to go over the screen. I may replace with all glass later but for now this is great. I was worried about drilling and cutting the glass and screen to fit tubing in but after enough fidgeting around I was able to cut off the plastic cord holder thingys and stick my tubes through the power cable sliders with the lid locked on tight, and no glass or screen cut! Should do the trick for now we will have to see once I fill her up with frogs and flies. After a big headache from the 501 filter being down at water level I tried some suggestions from this forum and put it up higher in the power filter position. So far so good its been running for days with no problems. Had a suggestion to move it to the floor which sounds like a good idea but I would have to buy tubing and its working good now so I will leave it. I still plan on getting more plants but this is what I got for now

Last edited by JakkBauer; 07-21-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 AM

before i read, LOVE YOUR USERNAME! I'VE BEEN WATCHING 24 NONSTOP, AND WELCOME

Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Not sure why it would matter if you held them in a temporary enclosure before putting them inn their viv. This is no different than a standard quarantine procedure, IMO. I have done this with every frog I ever purchased.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace King View Post
Not sure why it would matter if you held them in a temporary enclosure before putting them inn their viv. This is no different than a standard quarantine procedure, IMO. I have done this with every frog I ever purchased.
Im not entirely sure. Maybe because I was planning on setting up the viv that night and getting the frogs at the same show. The Josh's Frogs guy may of thought I just had some tank laying around and just decided "hey I want frogs today!". Its not like he knew I had done research all year, and had been gathering specific materials the whole time. Basically I had everything I needed I just didn't have the viv setup yet or seeded with any springtails or anything like that. That being said when do you think I can move them in? I was going to wait to add some springtails next week and give them a week to grub around in the dirt, but if you think I should let my froggies run wild on their new home I will do it asap.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 PM

looks good, i would add some leaf litter though, gives the frogs more hiding places...how big is the tank? what frogs are going in?

and you will need to cover the screen with glass to keep in humidity...
Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Hi Jakk,

I notice from your post in the ID section that you bought two tinctorius morphs (the Azureus and Yellowback). I think you have made a pretty nice terrarium, but I would say not really suitable for any D. tinctorius. D. tinctorius are ground-dwelling frogs that do not climb and don't use bromeliads. They generally prefer a deep leaflitter and not mosses (as this is closer to how they live in the wild).

I would say you have a good set-up for some thumbnail species (there are quite a few that people can recommend), which would love this set-up. Perhaps you can look into trading someone for a frog that would prefer what you have going there.

Good luck, Richard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsman For This Useful Post:
JakkBauer (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boabab95 View Post
looks good, i would add some leaf litter though, gives the frogs more hiding places...how big is the tank? what frogs are going in?

and you will need to cover the screen with glass to keep in humidity...
Yeah thats one thing im looking for now is leaf litter im trying to find some locally I know hasn't been sprayed before I buy online. Also add some more plants. Tank is 12x12x18, a little small from what I have been seeing on here but I plan to convert a 29g I have laying around eventually (some fish are in it now). I have two tincs, just confirmed by mr. Woodsman an Azureus and Yellowback that are pretty young not sure how old exactly. The top actually does have glass on it, its just layed right across I may or may not silicone it into place im waiting to see if I want to remove screen or not.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:07 PM

I think the wood is great and any frogs would love to climb around on it. Is there a way to position it so they have floor room below it too? Maybe up at an angle or something to give them extra crawling around space.

Hmm vines, more plants, you can save your broms for your next tank (there is always a next tank) as they take up a bit of room.

Just read the dimensions of the tank. Ok for froglets but as they grow your frogs will each need their own tank.
The Following User Says Thank You to frogface For This Useful Post:
JakkBauer (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
Hi Jakk,

I notice from your post in the ID section that you bought two tinctorius morphs (the Azureus and Yellowback). I think you have made a pretty nice terrarium, but I would say not really suitable for any D. tinctorius. D. tinctorius are ground-dwelling frogs that do not climb and don't use bromeliads. They generally prefer a deep leaflitter and not mosses (as this is closer to how they live in the wild).

I would say you have a good set-up for some thumbnail species (there are quite a few that people can recommend), which would love this set-up. Perhaps you can look into trading someone for a frog that would prefer what you have going there.

Good luck, Richard.
Thank you that is very honest and helpful. I did actually pick the blue one because he was all stuck up on the glass at the show and he has been a huge climber ever since I have had him always wanting to go up, up, up (thinking of naming him Sir Edmund if indeed a male). But the yellow guy definitely stays on the ground more. I might have to look into a local trade for some frogs that would enjoy this build more, or if I can get the time and a little extra project money start building a newer bigger tank for these frogs. I will definitely take out some moss and add tons of leaf litter once I get my hands on some quality stuff. I will can also take the broms out once I get some more plants, they were given to me free with the frogs from Under the Canopy. Thank you again for bringing this to my attention, I will definitely use this information!
Woodsman likes this.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
I think the wood is great and any frogs would love to climb around on it. Is there a way to position it so they have floor room below it too? Maybe up at an angle or something to give them extra crawling around space.

Hmm vines, more plants, you can save your broms for your next tank (there is always a next tank) as they take up a bit of room.

Just read the dimensions of the tank. Ok for froglets but as they grow your frogs will each need their own tank.
It kind of has a little place underneath it might be hard to see in the photos but it makes kind of a cave under the wood and it is very wet. I also have more wood laying around and was thinking about a mushroom ledge (I think they are pretty sweet). Broms can go like I said they were free from Under the Canopy. I have a fake vine I can throw in somehow someway, and need more plants for sure. As for needing another tank for them that is kind of good news because as of now I cannot be satisfied just having it in one room! I wish it could be in EVERY room... only one way to fix that...
frogface likes this.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 PM

Small update, the new tank setup after grabbing some leaves and plants from Field here on DB. Thanks man!