Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 01:24 AM

Default 20g vert w/waterfall, clay background

This is my recently planted 20 gallon vertical tank with a clay and cork background. I have a waterfall that bubbles up out of a hole in the ghost wood and drains into a small pond in the corner. A couple of bamboo troughs guide dripping water to the pool as well.

The background is made of kitty-litter clay with plenty of organic material to thicken it. I pressed the clay into a piece of egg-crate for support, then pressed cork pieces into the clay. I added some pieces of spike moss and covered the tank with glass to keep the humidity in. I also added a light so that the moss might take root while the clay dried to a firm but moist consistency.

The tank has a false bottom covered with weed barrier. The small pump is within easy reaching distance in case it gets clogged. The substrate is ABG mix heavily seeded with springtails and isopods. I have several brom pups in there right now - I'll wait and see how it grows out before adding any more. There is a solar-powered fan inside the tank that is powered by a Sylvania 6500k daylight bulb over the tank. It provides a very gentle air movement.

The tank currently houses a single female intermedius imitator looking for a serious relationship; loves to explore; enjoys climbing when not spending quiet time in brom leaves ~ if interested, please respond to poster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo7.jpg (57.5 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg photo5.jpg (62.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg photo11.jpg (57.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (82.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg photo4.jpg (57.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg photo12.jpg (87.8 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Default Re: 20g vert w/waterfall, clay background

I love the tank. Looks great.

Some advice to your I.I. Tell her to stay away from the bad boys. They stay up all night smoking Marlboros and playing ding dong ditch.

Tell her to hold out for a good man.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Oops - forgot to mention that - non-smokers only

I would've added that she's ready to start a family, but that kind of remark usually scares the dudes away ~

Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM

How did you get that nice slope? Seems like it would all just fall flat.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM

I used ABG mix. I soaked it in water first, then squeezed all the water out and start piling it in the corner. The tank is pretty humid, so I'm thinking that it will maintain the slope for a while.

If it doesn't, I may add some type of structure beneath the substrate - something like stacked styrofoam or cork pieces.

This tank sits right next to the kitchen table, so I get to watch the little girl a lot. We also had to make sure that the fruitflies stayed put, and we 'screened' in the ventilation portion with weed barrier. So far, so good ~

Now, if I can only find her a feller - maybe I can sign her up on frogmatch.com...
Old 07-08-2011, 06:16 PM

I do slopes all the time, often with no barriers. If the soil is put in wet and packed down then it will maintain its slope and not flatten out. If it was dry and THEN gets wet it WILL flatten out. If you are looking for a really steap incline then you can use pieces of cork bark to hold back the soil to get steeper angles. Once you plant in plants and ground cover you will never have to worry about it flattening out as the roots will help stabilze it just like they do on a natural hillside. Its the soil that is compressing that makes you lose your hill. So pack it down real good as its wet and you won't have that problem.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 PM

That's a much better explanation than I could give - thanks!!