Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Default 29 Gallon w waterfall

Just a simple 29 gallon I setup with a great piece of wood to use as a small waterfall out the back wall. Currently housing my 2 O.pumilio's in here.

Everything is working out pretty well but I think I overdid it with the lighting (currently using 4x2' 32watt 6.5k lights) and my temps are a little higher than I like (riding 85-90F during the day) Most likely I will disconnect 2x of the lights tomorrow and only use 2x2' lights instead to handle the heat issue.

Anyway here are some pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Mani.Ar...CPnilbnLltzsVA

Feedback is always welcome.

EDIT: I made a slight error and did not leave enough room to fill the side of my false bottom with gravel so I temporarily covered it with pandafilm but it looks mediocre at best. Same with my light hood...its currently in interim state. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the result

Last edited by EvilLost; 07-07-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Default Re: 29 Gallon w waterfall

looks good I just set up a 29 gallon for my citronella tincs just curious - what kind of pump do you use for your waterfall? i'm thinking the pump i've been using in my other tanks isn't sufficient and would like to get a new kind...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Very nice, but the substrate/false bottom is way too high. Good for plants and springs/isopods but it only leaves you with about 15 gallons of usable space. Take some out, and you'll have a nice viv.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM

I think it looks great. I would love to do a background like you did if it didn't suck up so much space. One of the most natural I have seen.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 AM

@Zoomie: my background uses up barely any space (roughly 0.5"). On the right side it gets a bit thicker upwards of 1.5" I use a FALSE WALL technique (just like a false-bottom) and I build an egg-crate outline to which I apply the clay. If you push the clay into it hard enough it goes into all the squares and holds the structure extremely well. It ends up being just a tiny bit thicker than the eggcrate basically. The only problem is that after time, sometimes little bits of the square show but a quick rub of the finger tends to fix that

I also squeeze "green tree (shag) moss" all over the place. I'm not entirely sure what this stuff is, but I got it from Josh's Frogs here: Green Tree (Shag) Moss (1 gallon) - Live Moss | Josh's Frogs

It looks really good imo, I use it in place of sphagnum moss anywhere that is "visible"

@johnny: I don't quite follow....why do you say that I should take out soil? I have a 2.5" FB, 1 ball layer of hydroton, and 1.5" of soil. I have rooted plants in there...I dont plan on having a bare bottom / just leaf litter. I'm also housing only a pair of O.pumilio, the space is certainly sufficient for them. Given how new you are, your tone was a bit...

@DendroRachel: TBH it was a random pump I had in my "giant box of random vivarium supplies". Given my awful experience with the "combo" filter+pumps I just went with a plain old submersible pump (the one I had was a "mini" so its only 1.5" tall and works in my shallow water). Just in case, I put a small "wall" of foam around it as well, but this turned out unnecessary as my gravel wall/fb+screen prevent any particles from travelling through (i have no clue how it works so well, but the water in my false bottom is SPOTLESS....even though my pond area has a tiny brown tinge because of a little clay that dripped in!)

What I can tell you is this: *DO NOT* use this pump: Zoo Med Turtle Clean 318 Submersible Filter

I have used 2 different pumps on 2 different tanks and both clog up IMMENSELY quickly (within 2 weeks) to the point that water completely stops flowing (but the pump KEEPS RUNNING). Needless to say, both of mine burned out relatively quickly.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:04 PM

yeah unfortunately a couple months ago i already tried that dumb zoomed turtle clean filter/pump as well. that thing sucked! i use the ReptiFlo (
Amazon.com: Exo-Terra Repti-Flo 200 Circulating Pump: Electronics Amazon.com: Exo-Terra Repti-Flo 200 Circulating Pump: Electronics
) and it works decent enough. I don't have my waterfalls very high though and the water flow is kind of low in a couple of my tanks. I would like something more powerful so I have more flexibility. i assume its a lack of power that gives me the trouble because my water is very clear as well.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:09 AM

@DendroRachel: looking at the picture, that is the pump I am currently using. It is set to maximum flow and the waterfall is "just right" but is not very high...most of the pumping is horizontally across the tank.

actually looking at the specs i may have a smaller size but mine looks just like that
Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLost View Post
@Zoomie: my background uses up barely any space (roughly 0.5"). On the right side it gets a bit thicker upwards of 1.5" I use a FALSE WALL technique (just like a false-bottom) and I build an egg-crate outline to which I apply the clay. If you push the clay into it hard enough it goes into all the squares and holds the structure extremely well. It ends up being just a tiny bit thicker than the eggcrate basically. The only problem is that after time, sometimes little bits of the square show but a quick rub of the finger tends to fix that

I also squeeze "green tree (shag) moss" all over the place. I'm not entirely sure what this stuff is, but I got it from Josh's Frogs here: Green Tree (Shag) Moss (1 gallon) - Live Moss | Josh's Frogs

It looks really good imo, I use it in place of sphagnum moss anywhere that is "visible"

@johnny: I don't quite follow....why do you say that I should take out soil? I have a 2.5" FB, 1 ball layer of hydroton, and 1.5" of soil. I have rooted plants in there...I dont plan on having a bare bottom / just leaf litter. I'm also housing only a pair of O.pumilio, the space is certainly sufficient for them. Given how new you are, your tone was a bit...

@DendroRachel: TBH it was a random pump I had in my "giant box of random vivarium supplies". Given my awful experience with the "combo" filter+pumps I just went with a plain old submersible pump (the one I had was a "mini" so its only 1.5" tall and works in my shallow water). Just in case, I put a small "wall" of foam around it as well, but this turned out unnecessary as my gravel wall/fb+screen prevent any particles from travelling through (i have no clue how it works so well, but the water in my false bottom is SPOTLESS....even though my pond area has a tiny brown tinge because of a little clay that dripped in!)

What I can tell you is this: *DO NOT* use this pump: Zoo Med Turtle Clean 318 Submersible Filter

I have used 2 different pumps on 2 different tanks and both clog up IMMENSELY quickly (within 2 weeks) to the point that water completely stops flowing (but the pump KEEPS RUNNING). Needless to say, both of mine burned out relatively quickly.
i'm trying to say it seems high, maybe if you took the hydroton and just had the FB and substrate/litter it would look better