Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Default 20 Long Vertical Tank

I'm creating a 20 long vertical tank. It'll have about 6 bromeliads and a lot of vines. What frogs do you think I can pop in hear? I was thinking a pair of imitators? The substrate will be ABG mix and the background will be clay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: 20 Long Vertical Tank

The size and orientation sounds good for a pair of imitators. 20 gallon long verts don't have a lot of depth, though, it kind of limits the wood/hardscaping/plants you can put in a tank....

Division: Frog Police
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackoftheGods View Post
The size and orientation sounds good for a pair of imitators. 20 gallon long verts don't have a lot of depth, though, it kind of limits the wood/hardscaping/plants you can put in a tank....
Actually, the depth I think is a bit more than a 10 gallon, so about 12-16 inches. Since i'm using clay background, that saves alot of space.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 PM

16 is a 20h so your thinken about 10-12 at most. I wonder how this is going to turn out.

Do have an idea what frog you want? Imitator? Vent? Variabilis (sp.)?

Varadero
Benedicta
Old 07-01-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivlover10 View Post
16 is a 20h so your thinken about 10-12 at most. I wonder how this is going to turn out.

Do have an idea what frog you want? Imitator? Vent? Variabilis (sp.)?
I'm thinking a pair of imitators, or maybe a trio. Not sure how that would turn out though. I made the false bottom, mixed up my "special" frog substrate, and hooked up the lighting. I'll be ordering the conversion kit within the next week. I still need to do more planning and think of the background design too. Any ideas were to get the conversion kit cheap? The only place that sold 20L vertical kits was AAAFrogs and it was 30$, and with shipping and tax, 45$ which seemed steep. I'm wondering if I could make one, but I have NO idea where to get hinges for glass or how to make the vent. I'll post pics soon, my friends borrowing my good camera. He'll be back in about another half an hour or so.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:09 PM

I feel your pain on the vert kits. I just shelled out $$$ on 2 @10gal and [email protected] ouuuch.. anyway, i figure these days my time is worth the money - its a plug n play solution. At least I got the tanks at approx 50% off.

fyi - I put my order in last week and still hasnt shipped so you might consider that in your build schedule. From what Iv read AAA makes good products so i think it will be worth the wait.

-Scott
Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrocks View Post
I'm creating a 20 long vertical tank. It'll have about 6 bromeliads and a lot of vines. What frogs do you think I can pop in hear? I was thinking a pair of imitators? The substrate will be ABG mix and the background will be clay.
Sounds real good ready see pictures on this thing. Try looking on eBay or Craigslist they might Have the conversion kit. It sounds real good so far also.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 PM

By the way, the dimensions are 12 1/2" x 12 3/4 x 30"
Krenshaw22 likes this.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Alrighty. Here's the pics. The false bottom's in, the tanked sparkling clean, and the light's going.
I probably will just buy from AAA. I have also heard they make good items but the order takes about a week to go through, and I cant put my background on until it comes or else it'll dry out. Sorry for the delay! Also sorry it took so long, I had to resize them. Fixed.

Last edited by johnyrocks; 07-02-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenshaw22 View Post
Sounds real good ready see pictures on this thing. Try looking on eBay or Craigslist they might Have the conversion kit. It sounds real good so far also.
Fixed the pictures
The Following User Says Thank You to johnyrocks For This Useful Post:
colis123 (07-18-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 12:27 AM

Your false bottom looks good. I dont recall, have you got your leaf litter yet? if you make your own, it takes a while to dry out the leaves. Just fyi if havent thought about that yet. Good leaf litter is like McDonald drive thru for frogs : )
Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saptio Joyas View Post
Your false bottom looks good. I dont recall, have you got your leaf litter yet? if you make your own, it takes a while to dry out the leaves. Just fyi if havent thought about that yet. Good leaf litter is like McDonald drive thru for frogs : )
Haha, lol. I'm ordering my leaf litter from aaafrogs too. Getting magnolia since I heard oak can melt fast. Thanks for reminding me! lol.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:33 AM

My substrate is sort of like the ABG mix, but this drains better. It's about 2 parts peat moss and 1 part organic potting soil. I've had amazing springtail populations and great plant growth from some ficus pumila. This time I changed it up a bit though, it's about half and half of both, so it drains even better. The organic potting soil i'm using has mulch, fern root, some peat mixed in already, and coco husk mashed up.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrocks View Post
Haha, lol. I'm ordering my leaf litter from aaafrogs too. Getting magnolia since I heard oak can melt fast. Thanks for reminding me! lol.
There are lots of oak species - Im sure it varies, the trees in my yard and around are durand oak, bur oak, live oak and red oak, they collect all around and it takes over a year for them to rot. I like to mow them up and use them as mulch in my garden.

Yeah those magnolia leaf are made of titanium... I dont like my mower to hit those, dulls the blade -
Old 07-02-2011, 01:36 AM

Heres my plan. Pretty basic, the background and planting is the tricky part.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
There are lots of oak species - Im sure it varies, the trees in my yard and around are durand oak, bur oak, live oak and red oak, they collect all around and it takes over a year for them to rot. I like to mow them up and use them as mulch in my garden.

Yeah those magnolia leaf are made of titanium... I dont like my mower to hit those, dulls the blade -
Lol! I wonder though. We don't have oaks here, we have to go into town and thats the only place I know of any oaks around here (I love in colorado) and I found grape leaves to be cheap. I don't know though. Still going for magnolia, but i'll keep an open mind.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:08 AM

Its looking good. I like the texture of your substrate too. And there is a real good positive thing on these 20 gallon tanks they are freaking tall standing straight up so its a perfect tank for thumb and other tree dwelling frogs
Old 07-02-2011, 02:30 AM

Cool Re: 20 Long Vertical Tank

Quote:
Its looking good. I like the texture of your substrate too. And there is a real good positive thing on these 20 gallon tanks they are freaking tall standing straight up so its a perfect tank for thumb and other tree dwelling frogs
Yeah, the texture is a nice thing about mixing it with the bark. I actually added more organic soil shortly after posting this to help it drain and look more appealing. I did an experiment with this mix and plants thrive in it, never had root rot either. I'm really exited to see how the long narrow look works out. I think a few thumbs would love this. What I like about yours is that you were really enthusiastic about a 20L tank and you did a good job. A lot of people that do 20 longs make it look like they slapped it together in a few days. I'm actually a tiny bit happy that I won't be ordering the conversion kit for a while, I love planning. Planned tanks = beast tanks. Thanks again man!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:48 AM

I construct my own doors. Just go to Ace and get a few pieces of glass cut. Here it's around $3.50 for three pieces and I ordered a 6ft section of living hinge for around $12 and that'll last me a long time on 10 and 20 gallon verts. Velcro adhesive strips to secure the door.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 AM

I may Have to consider using your substrate design when I design any new tanks lol. On this tank I planned I swore like two to three months. And I'm still planning. I'm also suffering from ets now. But keep me updated on your tank. And thanks again for liking my tank
Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 AM

Hey guys. These are some pics of the tank at night, the underside of the false bottom, and a closer look at the substrate. Suggestion for plants? I want a heavily planted tank this time so my frogs will be happy and healthy.

Enjoy and please tell me if i'm doing anything wrong, or just tips. I'll keep an open mind!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:27 PM

:::::UPDATE::::: I've changed what background I want. I've decided on the great stuff. It'll work good in this tank I think. I just didn't want to whip up so much more clay.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 PM

GS is what I use. I also incorporate cork bark into the background for texture, ledges, and "terrace" plant holders... looks very natural - you can even break the cork up into pieces and silicon them into ornate structures like a "bridge" from one corner to another. I pay about $10 lb at a local pet store - w/ 1 or 2 lbs you could easily have left over for other projects.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
GS is what I use. I also incorporate cork bark into the background for texture, ledges, and "terrace" plant holders... looks very natural - you can even break the cork up into pieces and silicon them into ornate structures like a "bridge" from one corner to another. I pay about $10 lb at a local pet store - w/ 1 or 2 lbs you could easily have left over for other projects.
Thanks for the comment. The thing i'm worried about is that if in some places I add too much, like the top or middle, the plants might not get enough light. Also, how do you stick bromeliads into it? Just keep roots semi moist by misting and attach them with wire? I've only used the GS background once, and it was in a 10 gallon. LOL. Way too small for a 10g, so I did clay. Thanks! I'm in a rush to choose because I only get to go to the hardware store once a month, and the next time is tomorrow, and i'll be getting orchid bark and GS if I choose. What kind do you use? I tried big gap filler, no cracked glass, but it shrunk overnight so I had to rip it off and silicone it back on. Thanks again
Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 PM

dreamcatcer98 made an awesome 20L vert tank. Here are some links to her build.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...-20l-vert.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-planting.html
Old 07-02-2011, 07:17 PM

UPDATE going to the hardware store tomorrow, pick up more ingrediants for the substrate, and i'll be getting Great stuff Gaps and Cracks along with a tube of black silicone (will a 16 oz can be enough?!)
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 PM

One more link to dreamcatcer98s 20L tank, grown out.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pla...ed-175obo.html
Old 07-02-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
dreamcatcer98 made an awesome 20L vert tank. Here are some links to her build.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...-20l-vert.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-planting.html
Thanks for showing me a 20l vert build. I could only find 2 on here, that one is by far the nicest i've seen. From looking at that, the clay work is fantastic, but I do know how heavy a 20l vert would weigh with a claay background (no joke, about 80-100 pounds!) so I think i'll just do the GS method. I want this viv to last a long time without any problems (or big ones that is lol!) Thanks!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
One more link to dreamcatcer98s 20L tank, grown out.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pla...ed-175obo.html
And looking at it grown, wow lol. Thats a nice tank! I hope mine turns out nice like that!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I may Have to consider using your substrate design when I design any new tanks lol. On this tank I planned I swore like two to three months. And I'm still planning. I'm also suffering from ets now. But keep me updated on your tank. And thanks again for liking my tank
No prob. I know how you feel about the dreaded et syndrome. It's awful! I did research on what was in my substrate and there was a small about of manure, lol So i'm running down to home depot tomorrow and am getting some orchid bark and will mix it with peat moss (I got 200 pounds of peat moss from 12$! lol) and it'll look the same, but won't have ANY ferts in it. I'll also get some GS gaps and cracks along with black silicone. How much GS and silicone did you use to do you're whole background? I hope a 16 oz can will do the back and left side, and I know 1 10.2 oz tube of black silicone will cover, but just curious if 16oz will do. I saw you used a 16oz and a 12oz. Any leftovers? Thanks!

Last edited by johnyrocks; 07-02-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: fail spelling error....
Old 07-02-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusted Fly View Post
I construct my own doors. Just go to Ace and get a few pieces of glass cut. Here it's around $3.50 for three pieces and I ordered a 6ft section of living hinge for around $12 and that'll last me a long time on 10 and 20 gallon verts. Velcro adhesive strips to secure the door.
Really? Was it glass or plexiglass? That's what makes it expensive. I had a HORRIBLE problem with plexi glass. It's like acrylic. It warped and it ruined my pond lol/
Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 PM

I think some of the sponsors here, that sell vert kits, can do custom order.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I think some of the sponsors here, that sell vert kits, can do custom order.
i'm not that worried, because I can get a proper vertical kit, but it's 45$ shipped o.o
Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Here's pics of where the pots will go. I will have lots of plants in here, so need lots of large pots. Sorry that they're kinda hard to see!

Last edited by johnyrocks; 07-02-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: fogot a pic
Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 PM

Sorry for being so pic heavy guys! I put the pots in their final spots and I added airline tubing so the soil in the pots dont become waterlogged. This is very imported with the GS background, because it's very hard to take the pots out and drain the water out. I swear no more pics until I get the GS sprayed on! lol!
The pots taped down with tubing
Closer look at the tubing
Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 PM

To be honest, you dont even need the pots let alone the tubing for most of the terrarium plants. Just pin them to the background with some LFS to keep them moist. they will root and thrive as long as they have good light and plenty of mistings to help them get established. Personally what Ive been doing is carving out small little 1 inchish niches in which I place some LFS and then place the plant over that sphagnum filled niche. and pin it there with a bent paperclip. works great!

Looking forward to seeing this finished!

Todd
Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartfrogfreak View Post
To be honest, you dont even need the pots let alone the tubing for most of the terrarium plants. Just pin them to the background with some LFS to keep them moist. they will root and thrive as long as they have good light and plenty of mistings to help them get established. Personally what Ive been doing is carving out small little 1 inchish niches in which I place some LFS and then place the plant over that sphagnum filled niche. and pin it there with a bent paperclip. works great!

Looking forward to seeing this finished!

Todd
I know. I will do this with only my broms though. Reason being, I'm ordering fern, umbrella plant, etc just plants with larger root structure and that cant be pinned to the background.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:20 AM

Ah, that kinda makes sense then.

Todd
Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 PM

GUYS The GS background is on, curing, and expanding as we speak, but here's some pics. I need to buy 1 more can for spots I didn't have enough foam. I Bought 2 12 oz cans, as they didn't have 16 oz ones. I used "Gaps and cracks" I need to also buy some silicone, I was in a hurry to watch a movie!

The next images will be when the black silicone and peat moss is on. Stay tuned!

Update, the GS fully expanded. One of my pots got burried in gs lol. Have to do some carving to get it fixed lol.

Last edited by johnyrocks; 07-03-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 AM

I used both tubes of silicons and only 1 can of great stuff it was the 16 oz. Sorry about the late reply