Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 AM

Default Back in it, 10g Vert.

Hello everyone, Im back after a few years absence. I was forced to leave the hobby due to getting married, finishing school, and having my first child, all while working long long hours at work. While i was out of the hobby i always missed it, and would stop in here to look at pics etc, and daydream about being in the hobby again. I just didnt have time for my frogs.

Fast forward about 4 years, and im ready to start back into the hobby. My 4 y/o daughter seems to be as into frogs as i have always been so this is going to be "our" hobby. I plan on starting out slow again so that i dont get in over my head to quick, since i have been out of it for awhile.

Here is my freshly built, first new viv since i left the hobby. I am planning to probably house a pair of vents in this viv. I built this from a trashed 10g that i salvaged on trash day from the neighbors. one of the sides was cracked. I decided that since this is going to be on display for the time being in the dining room, that instead of making it a front opening tank, i would just make a top opening tank, utilizing the broken side as the top, and make the front seamless, for better viewing, and less clutter in the front. I used the GS/GG method for the wall, since this is the method i was familiar with.

Im pretty happy with it for my first build in a few years. I plan on adding a creeper vine of some sort, and then that will probably be it. Anyway here are the pics, im no photographer but did my best. Hope you enjoy. Any comments, suggestions, or criticisms are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Back in it, 10g Vert.

Decided to change the viv around a bit. I remove the anthurium, it was a "small talk" anthurium, and while it is not supposed to get that large, i felt once the broms grew in it would be too cluttered so i opted to remove it before problems occured. It also covered alot of the wood which i wanted to be the feature of this viv.

I added some ficus and a fern. I need an ID on the fern if anyone can help me with that.

here are pics.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 AM
TWI/ASN

Welcome back David, I like your tank and I hope your future frog keeper daughter does as well. Although the addition of frogs will probably be more exciting to her.. Sorry can't help with the fern id, but someone is sure to come along.

Sally

Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 AM

Thanks Sally. My daughter is very excited about the frogs, but knows that will be awhile. Im gonna let the tank sit for a few months first, and build another in the meantime.

Honestly I'm almost 100% certain my daughter was and will be happier about the plants, although once she actually has the frogs her interest will eventually possibly sway that way. I'm convinced she is going to be a botanist. She LOVES plants. I love them myself, as my #1 Hobby is Bonsai, but don't have much experience with anything tropical, other than the basic houseplant type stuff, and what i learned in my short stint the first time in the hobby. My knowledge is pretty much confined to 6b. My Daughter helped in every process of the build, and loved it. Although mom wasn't too happy about the GS finger stains =P. No matter the gloves, we both got them.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Looks really nice! Can't help on the fern, I am new to vivs but I thank some vines would look good in there.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:42 PM
TWI/ASN

Looks great! I actually like it better without the anthurium. IMO, less is better and it will grow in and look pretty sweet.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:35 AM

Looks great, I hope my daughter likes frogs too, I just gotta keep the fruit flies from escaping so the woman doesn't make me get rid of them Haha. Your setup looks a lot like what I would like to build for my next viv. Btw how deep is the little pond in the front?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone,

BYHGAB, my wife doesnt like the flies much either, she is not much of a bug person, but out of sight out of mind. The pond varries from empty (freshly drained) to about 1 1/2 inch deep.

I probally should have posted this in the build thread, as this will sit in a homemade display case with a second 10g. with a homemade humidifier system and rain system.

I have the case roughed out, needs to be finished and painted, and i need to get the second tank built, and the rain system installed, but the fogger/humidifier iw working really nice. I will add pics as soon as PB uploads.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 PM

heres some pics of the fogger in action, excuse the rough nature of the hood/case. It still needs to be finished and painted. Again im no photographer, but i did my best.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 AM

Looks awesome, might I suggest some form of an escape route from the pond? Just a thot and I could be wrong.