dart frog project update
Postby dragon25 on Thu May 19, 2011 4:13 pm
just to update,
viv is 100 cm tall, 100cm long, 45cm wide, i was going to use a false bottom of egg crate and plant fabric but due to the fabric being crap and not letting water through i ripped it out and used hydro lecca instead i heat my house but use an aquarium heater to boost the temp and humidity it runs at a constant 70/72 degrees f
i used pollycell expanding foam for the background with plastic plant pots and 4mm tubing to drain them, these are foamed into place then i gave it all a coating of black silicone and earth.
I have made the cabinent and light hood from 15 mm mdf and 2"x3" tmer suports, this has been finished with a gloss black spray coat,
i have used 4 x T5 6500k HO 39 watt tubes abnd mylar as the reflector, it runs 2 ballasts so the light comes on and off in stages.
soil mix is just moss peat and orchid bark mixed, with locally sourced moss and oak leaves
4x variuous orchids
1x boston fern
1x goosefoot plant
1x peace lilly
these have all been stolen from faimly members lol
I made a small water feature in the corner wich is very shallow and has shallow sloping banks,
This has all been running for a couple of months now plants are growing well, had an issue with humidity but has been resolved by upgrading the dial gauge to a digital one and instant 15-20% increase
i would post pics but i have no idea how to just says they are too big grrr