Old 05-19-2011, 03:59 AM

Default Labeled HD Canopy Viv video

doncoyote and frogface like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Labeled HD Canopy Viv video

Very Cool!

I have been wondering how one would create a viv like this without having anything on the floor. Nice Job.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 AM

It's very unique. I think making the black part on the back of the tank into a tree would've been cool. It still looks awesome. Are you going to put some tree frogs in there?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 AM

you have a green tree python in there too!!! Ugh i want a green tree python so bad! Those snakes are so cool!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 PM

As interesting as this is, aren't you in the least bit concerned that the snake's movement will damage your plants?

Also, (and this is just my opinion) I would really recommend adding a substrate layer and some type of permanent water reservoir because even though the snakes do drink off their coils, they do drink from standing water as well.

What are you using for heating if I might ask?

Still, you've got lots of space! I really think with a little more effort you could really have a quality naturalistic home for that guy.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckdragon View Post
As interesting as this is, aren't you in the least bit concerned that the snake's movement will damage your plants?
Yes, but it hasn't happened in 9 months.

Quote:
Also, (and this is just my opinion) I would really recommend adding a substrate layer
Why would I do that??? Substrate = bacteria + risk of ingestion. No substrate means I can clean and sterilize regularly (weekly) in addition to as needed (such as after a defecation). It also acts as a standing water reservoir.

Quote:
What are you using for heating if I might ask?
11" wide flexwatt in addition to heat from the t5 fixture. Day temp is 78 F cool side, 86.5 F warm side. The night drop goes to 74 F.

Quote:
Still, you've got lots of space! I really think with a little more effort you could really have a quality naturalistic home for that guy.
Gee thanks
Old 05-20-2011, 03:46 AM

Exclamation Re: Labeled HD Canopy Viv video

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersboy6 View Post
you have a green tree python in there too!!! Ugh i want a green tree python so bad! Those snakes are so cool!
Yes they are
Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 AM

I think you should tint the back and sides of the glass. Ive read that green tree pythons do better with one viewing window since they can get stressed out fairly easy. Making the back and sides darker would also make your snake and plants "pop" more. but that's of course my opinion. can't wait till I'm able to get my own green tree python!
Old 05-20-2011, 12:29 PM

think this is a cool set up, although i no longer keep snakes i have kept emerald tree boas and green tree pythons for more than 20 years , i have done the pretty realistic , substate and plants look, but it is far more evective to keep it simple, love it
Old 05-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersboy6 View Post
I think you should tint the back and sides of the glass. Ive read that green tree pythons do better with one viewing window since they can get stressed out fairly easy. Making the back and sides darker would also make your snake and plants "pop" more. but that's of course my opinion. can't wait till I'm able to get my own green tree python!
I've posted this vivarium several times in an advanced GTP keepers/breeders forum and received nothing but praise and compliments for the setup and how spoiled she is. So, you can imagine that getting critiqued for my GTP husbandry in a dart frog/viv pictures forum is getting pretty irritating and old.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:03 PM
TWI/ASN

Well, if its getting old in our "dart frog/viv pictures forum" them maybe you should go find a GTP forum. Last time I checked, this was DENDROBOARD not GTPBoard.
This forum is for advice about Dendrobate and their kin. People are here to find answers, see/meet others with similar hobbies, and see what froggers are doing with their vivs. Not to be denounced for giving our opinions about what we think is healthy conditions for our animals. Your snake needs very different condtions then our frogs. Maybe, like I said before, you should go elsewhere, since you're so tired of our comments.
Your tank is very beautiful but your attitude sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
I've posted this vivarium several times in an advanced GTP keepers/breeders forum and received nothing but praise and compliments for the setup and how spoiled she is. So, you can imagine that getting critiqued for my GTP husbandry in a dart frog/viv pictures forum is getting pretty irritating and old.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:18 PM

I like it! I keep crested geckos in live viv tanks. I know nothing about green tree pythons (or dart frogs for that matter) but they are pretty. Again i like the tank!

PS are green tree pythons aggressive?
The Following User Says Thank You to GeckoElements For This Useful Post:
ChrisATX (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I Think this set up is great!! " patience young Jedi".. joke!!! seriously.. your planting skills are fantastic. I love the Herpkeeper idea!! Simplicity is always key!!

This forum is a GREAT resource!! stick with it!! You will meet some GREAT PEOPLE!! some good contacts and great friends ;-)

I understand your frustration with certain people, ignore them when they get rude!! I say, " if they could improve their manners, as well as their talent", then we've got something, Just take things with a grain of salt. rely on your own experiences, draw yourself to the positive feedback!! let the negative feedback roll off!!

JUST HAVE FUN!! embrace your hobby, and the crowd will respond!!

no ones ideas are better than the other. if it was so, every single set up would look the same) and that would be boring!!

this hobby is always evolving!! it will never stop changing!!

You will get the certain click " know it alls". who just puff themselves up above the rest and down grade someone else's experience ( even when you have had experience for many years). Weather a noob, intermediate , or vet. unless one who is open to explore new ideas. they essentially stunt their own growth from not stepping outside their click bubble, to discover something epic in the future that could make this hobby even better.

Your set up is looking Great!!! I LOVE IT!! stick with dendroboard!!
ChrisATX (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
your python must be happy or it wouldnt be eating dude, you know your doin it right dont get worried about it

Adam
Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Love the planting in this tank. The simple design of the branch holders is great too. If you ever wanted to, changing the tank design or adding branches would be a breeze using your holder method. And thanks for labeling your plants, I'll definitely be adding them to my "orchids to buy" list.

I couldnt see in the video, but do you use any sort of air circulation?
The Following User Says Thank You to GRIMM For This Useful Post:
ChrisATX (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordoria View Post
Well, if its getting old in our "dart frog/viv pictures forum" them maybe you should go find a GTP forum. Last time I checked, this was DENDROBOARD not GTPBoard.
Didn't you see my last post? I HAVE found a GTP board.

The name of this forum is Member's Frogs AND Vivariums

Quote:
Not to be denounced for giving our opinions about what we think is healthy conditions for our animals.
I haven't denounced anyone for how they keep their dendros. Nor would I.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMM View Post
Love the planting in this tank. The simple design of the branch holders is great too. If you ever wanted to, changing the tank design or adding branches would be a breeze using your holder method. And thanks for labeling your plants, I'll definitely be adding them to my "orchids to buy" list.

I couldnt see in the video, but do you use any sort of air circulation?
Thanks GRIMM!

Here is a flickr set of the species I have bloomed from the tank so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3437806...7626639863005/

Yes! I do have air circulation! Since this used to be a reef tank, there are holes at the bottom of the overflow tower. I put bulkheads in them, then installed a PVC electrical box with a waterproof fan mounted (using Great Stuff, the cushioning keeps it nearly silent) in it to suck fresh air. I'll attach a pic looking down into the overflow tower:

Let me know if that makes sense!

Last edited by ChrisATX; 05-20-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoElements View Post
I like it! I keep crested geckos in live viv tanks. I know nothing about green tree pythons (or dart frogs for that matter) but they are pretty. Again i like the tank!

PS are green tree pythons aggressive?
Each one has its own personality. They're unique like that. Some of them are demon spawn, and others are puppy dog tame. Often if you buy and old enough animal from a good, reputable private breeder they will be able to help you select one that isn't bitey.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:37 PM

That's an awesome viv! very neat and clean looking design

https://www.facebook.com/TCSDartFrogs
The Following User Says Thank You to azure89 For This Useful Post:
ChrisATX (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure89 View Post
That's an awesome viv! very neat and clean looking design
Thanks! That was kind of the goal, for it to be very clean and simple, like a canopy cross section. The no substrate really works for the aesthetics in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:53 AM

I think the most important thing with any setup is to know and understand the behaviors and lifestyle of the animal you're designing it for. A frog person sees your tank and thinks "he's so exposed and there's no where for him to hide". But the reality is he is not a frog and he may not have those same requirements. Sometimes people are too quick to pass judgements without really knowing the animals they're discussing. We've all seen bare frog tanks from newbies and it saddens us. That might be where the backlash is coming from. You know your snake and his requirements...share that with us...or at least with those who think your setup is wrong. That's what forums are about....sharing new ideas and getting people to see things in a new light.
The Following User Says Thank You to bshmerlie For This Useful Post:
ChrisATX (05-22-2011)