Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Display Vivarium+UPDATE+PLANTED

I’m coming to an end in the construction of my display tank. Of course the fun part is next, PLANTING!!! Well hardscape comes first. And I still need to give the viv a good coat of paint too... wire the lights, plumbing for misting and drip system... Gees I’m not even close to being done.
I started with a wooden frame that was 32'' by 24''... this was attached to the base which was a piece of Masonite over a wooden frame made from 1x4, the base was a two foot square about four inches high. This (the upper frame and base) was covered in Masonite. One inch foam board was attached to the inside of the wooden frame and coated with an epoxy/fiberglass layer, then more layers of epoxy. I could have just used plywood for the whole thing instead of frames and Masonite and foam, but this was lighter. With out the epoxy and glass doors, the viv was only 20 pounds, and the thing is three feet high, two feet deep and two feet wide. It took a long time to figure out the sliding door track because the glass I had was not quite ¼” but too large to fit into tracks made for 1/8” glass. I ended up making my own from ¼” U-channel. I made a door under the front glass to access the area under the base where the drain would be. A PVC pipe was fitted into the back of the viv and it exits through the base and out the back wall of the viv. This is for the tubing for the misting and drip system. The top is a combo of Masonite and glass....
There are probably easier ways to do what I’ve done but I don’t like things to be too easy... we all know that’s just an excuse.
Anyhow here are some pics.

I think this was the second coat of epoxy after the fiberglass layer.

This is where the drain will go.

The epoxy.

The outside is almost finished.

The drain.

The tubing for misting/drip systems go in through this hole in the back.

Drain access door.

The main access to the inside of the viv is the front glass doors. By lifting off the top trim and panel, you can remove doors for cleaning.

^*UPDATE*^
Ok, Ive finished the background. This viv was supposed to include one of my trees…but that was rushed and it turned out looking like creamcheese shaped like an alien….with other more unpleasant things mixed in. And I’m in a hurry to finished the tank, so I don’t have time to make a new one…so I scraped the tree background, but may add a smaller trunk later. Anyhow here is the hardscape.

Background and Roots

Driphead

Ventilation Fan

Fabricated Root closeup

Ok, the plants are in......java moss still has to be added and Ill post another pic when it is.

This tank has the longest species list Ive ever had. Ive been gathering all these plants for the last few months and they finally get to enjoy the new viv.
Anthurium scandens
Anthuium andreanum
Anthurium radicans
Philodendron gloriosum
Philodendron Burle Marx Fantasy
Philodendron ‘pincushion’
Philodendron squamiferum
Philodendron ‘red dwarf’
Philodendron glaucophyllum
Philodendron panduraeforme
Philodendron sp.
Syngonium erythrophyllum
Syngonium sp
Syngonium rayii
Spathiphyllum floribundum
Rhodospatha sp..
Monstera obliqua
Stelis sp. Costa Rica
Stelis glomerosa
Restripia muscifera
Restripia sp.
Pleurothallis cypripediodes
Pleurothallis acestrophylla
Masd. Tunduzii x whitegold
Vanilla planifolia
Lepanthes gargoyla
Oncidium sp.
Unidentified Orchid sp.
Peperomia ‘green pixie’
Peperomia scandens
Peperomia prostrata
Peperomia sp. 1
Peperomia sp. 2
Begonia ‘enech’
Cissus sp.
Costus cuspidatus.
Guzmania lingulata mini.
Crystalwort sp.
Vesicularia sp. (dubyana?)
Humata tyermanii
Selaginella plana
Selaginella kraussiana
…and a few unidentified ferns
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 07:21 PM

Thats really cool. I cant wait to see it fully planted. Very nice job, i would love to do a big display like this for my living room.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:25 PM

That looks great. Nice job. Hurry faster faster. :lol: I want to see the planted tank.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:17 AM

Nice Job! It's good to see someone adventurous enough to build a wooden display tank! I have two in the works right now that are about at the same stage as yours, but not quite as complex. Great job!
Old 07-29-2005, 05:21 PM
TWI/ASN

Very nice looking tank. I am getting a group of terribilis and I am either going to use a 33 gal. tall or make something similiar to that. I'd love to see more pictures as you continue construction.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:32 PM

Steven-

Could you tell me the brand of epoxy and fiberglass you are using? Whats the cure time like between layers? Looks like its going to be an amazing tank!

Take care,

Mike
Old 07-29-2005, 05:41 PM

wow! that looks great! ive been wanting to do the same thing.....just didnt have any ideas how i wanted to go about doing it. this post helps alot. i cant wait to see the finnished product. great job!

-josh
Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 PM

Ill add pics as I go. Mike, the epoxy is made by West Systems. I used over a gallon of resin and over a quart of hardener...which ended up costing around 150 dollars. You wouldn’t need to use so much if you don’t use fiberglass, but in my case I had to for strength. I don’t have the brand name of the glass mat but it’s all the same stuff.
Thanks for the complements everyone!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:55 PM

ok...updated!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:36 PM

Wow, nice job!

Scott
Old 08-17-2005, 12:41 AM

Hey Steven,

That viv is looking great! I was hoping you could post a little more about how you made the background and what you used for the branches. Keep up the good work.

Neil
Old 08-17-2005, 01:23 AM

The background is a combination of different Osmunda products, glued on with either silicone or epoxy. There are large chucks osmunda fiber (the spongy roots, not the hard treefern fiber that comes from the ‘trunk’). These chunks allow for deep root penetration with great drainage….good for epiphytes that are used to having their roots deep in mats of moss and other plant roots. There are also some tree fern panels. The osmunda chunks and treefern panels are all blended together with loose treefern and osmunda fiber, which is glued on with epoxy and in some spots silicon. The fabricated roots are my older style and are from a terrarium I entered in IAD’s contest two years ago. They are simply shaped PVC covered with different organics…like peat, coco-fiber, or dirt.
Ill post pics after planting. Thanks for the complements
Old 08-17-2005, 05:32 AM

Looks awesome Steve! Keep up the good work. If you need help planting it just let me know.

-J
Old 08-17-2005, 01:55 PM

Wow, that is alot for epoxy. I got this piece of ghost wood that is over 6' tall for about that much.

rob
0.0.0 O. pumilio
Old 08-18-2005, 06:29 PM

Ok I added pics of the planted tank. The misting system should be here soon, and then I will add the java.
Rob, thats a really cool piece of ghost wood, what size tank are you going to put that in?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:38 PM

That is just F'n amazing. I want one, lol. What are you putting in it, or by display, do you just mean plants only.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:43 PM
TWI/ASN

Its too bad you didn't have a longer list of plants to choose from when you planted the tank. No really, that looks awesome. I am in the process of build a tank (nothing quite that large) and I am branching out and putting some new plants and more plants in it then what I have in the rest of my tanks. Keep the pictures coming!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:06 PM

Steven it looks sweat.

did you make the roots from concrete primer? (europe it called flevopal)
I tried that using stuff from homedepot but didn't have great success, what recipe did you use? if you dont mind sharing :wink:
Old 08-18-2005, 07:09 PM

Steven are you still thinking about selling your trees? I am building a very large tank that will need some backgrounds.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 PM

Looks incredible! You have to be extremely proud of how thats turning out. Can't wait for some 6 month shots.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the words guys! MJ, the roots were made with silicone and peat. I made them a few years back in my pre-epoxy days, so they dont look very real in person... But the peat holds enough moisture for the moss to cover them, so it wont be a problem. :wink: Cory, I do still have some trees available, (the three in my gallery) but wont have any new ones for a while...Im going off to school and wont be working on the trees for a few months at least.
Thanks again,
Old 08-18-2005, 08:40 PM

That is amazing. Well done.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:25 PM

Stephen,

You have really outdone yourself on this one! :shock: I'm more than impressed. I want to come over and see it before you head out for school...when is that? When are you coming over to help me start one like that? SERIOUSLY!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:14 AM

Default plants in tank

Steven,
First off that is an awsome tank. I wish I had the time and energy it must have taken to complete that. Where did you find the Philodendron Burle Marx Fantasy? I have been looking for that plant for awhile and have not had any luck.
Jonathan
Old 08-19-2005, 12:39 AM

OMFG!!! STEVEN!!! SO JEALOUS!!! Sorry for caps, but that was meant to be in caps, lol. Steven, Steven, Steven, my fuggin god. I knew it would be good, but... Holy... So... Awesome.. I wish I could see that in person too, but I'm no where near you. Your roommates will be impressed. You going to have roommates? Well, I'm sure I'll chat with you soon.

CONGRATS!!!

I have to ask, if you WERE going to put frogs in there, and I know you want to, though you can't, what species would it be? (Watch, like, half way through the year you'll get frogs because you'll realize you can get away with it.)

Hehe.. good luck! I'm driving up to FSU tomorrow so I prolly won't talk to you till after saturday. I don't know when you are going to school...
Old 08-19-2005, 02:23 AM

Wow! can't wait to see it grown in.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:39 AM
Khamul

Wow what a great tank!!! Looks so mysterious. Love it. And sooo many aroids too.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:36 AM

Steve, how about some details on how you made the vine... step by step... I'm loving it !

MistKing.com
|Testimonials
Old 08-24-2005, 06:40 PM

Sure! The roots were made by heating up PVC with a blowtorch, be sure to be outside with a good wind. If it’s not windy, wear a respirator because the fumes produced by burning PVC can be fatal. When I don’t wear a respirator, my throat gets very sore and aches for a few days. I try to bend the PCV in ways that a root/vine would actually grow...avoid flattening the PVC too much and try and keep the pipe from twisting in unnatural spirals. I wear leather gloves so I can handle the PVC at hot spots and mold it with my hands. If its hot outside, the PVC will take a while to cool and you will need to hold it in its position for a while, you can bring out a bucket of water to dunk the PVC in to cool it faster but this will often result in brittle PVC. After you have it in a nice shape, all you do is cover it with some sort of organic like peat, cocofiber, whatever. You can use silicone and smear it on the PVC then press in the organic stuff, you could mix the organic stuff with silicone and put it on the PVC, you could mix epoxy with organic stuff and put that ontop. I like mixing epoxy with peat that has been sifted through a strainer so only the finest dust is used. You mix enough peat dust in with the epoxy to form a paste and work with it like clay. After it dries you can carve it or reshape any ugly spots. The roots in the pictures were made before I ever used epoxy and are just silicone with peat pressed in. If you put a nice thick layer of silicone on the PVC, after you press in the peat you can mold it and give it finer details than what you could with the blowtorch.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBonheim
If it’s not windy, wear a respirator because the fumes produced by burning PVC can be fatal. When I don’t wear a respirator, my throat gets very sore and aches for a few days.
That's probably the chlorine from polyvinyl chlorine aka PVC. I would wear a respirator either way. Just because you don't feel the burning doesn't mean that you aren't damaging your lungs. Respiration is the most hazardous and overlooked method of entry for hazardous chemicals. The surface area of your lungs make them susceptible to damage. Also, just because it goes away in a couple of days doesn't mean that you aren't doing incremental irreversible damage that may catch up with you some day.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelin ... ition.html

Compared to the long term effects the cost a proper respirator, not one of those surgical masks, is well worth it.

[/nag]

Marcos
Old 08-24-2005, 07:11 PM

How did you get that vain wrapping around the vine look? Is that a single piece of PVC or is there a smaller diameter tube that you wrapped around a thicker one and melted them together? This looks pretty solid, no fuzzies/dust sticking out. Almost looks like you used some type of resin...really... you got that look with silicone? clear or black?

Thanks blort for the safety lesson. Good to have OSHA inspector on board I'll do my best to use an old drywal mask :wink: hehe

Like Steven Wright once said: I've been smoking for 20 years ! My lung feels great !!! :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBonheim
Sure! The roots were made by heating up PVC with a blowtorch, be sure to be outside with a good wind. If it’s not windy, wear a respirator because the fumes produced by burning PVC can be fatal. When I don’t wear a respirator, my throat gets very sore and aches for a few days. I try to bend the PCV in ways that a root/vine would actually grow...avoid flattening the PVC too much and try and keep the pipe from twisting in unnatural spirals. I wear leather gloves so I can handle the PVC at hot spots and mold it with my hands. If its hot outside, the PVC will take a while to cool and you will need to hold it in its position for a while, you can bring out a bucket of water to dunk the PVC in to cool it faster but this will often result in brittle PVC. After you have it in a nice shape, all you do is cover it with some sort of organic like peat, cocofiber, whatever. You can use silicone and smear it on the PVC then press in the organic stuff, you could mix the organic stuff with silicone and put it on the PVC, you could mix epoxy with organic stuff and put that ontop. I like mixing epoxy with peat that has been sifted through a strainer so only the finest dust is used. You mix enough peat dust in with the epoxy to form a paste and work with it like clay. After it dries you can carve it or reshape any ugly spots. The roots in the pictures were made before I ever used epoxy and are just silicone with peat pressed in. If you put a nice thick layer of silicone on the PVC, after you press in the peat you can mold it and give it finer details than what you could with the blowtorch.

MistKing.com
|Testimonials
Old 08-25-2005, 05:57 AM

Yeah I wear my respirator for everything now. Marty thats just silicone and peat! The vien looking thing was made with the silicone..."If you put a nice thick layer of silicone on the PVC, after you press in the peat you can mold it and give it finer details than what you could with the blowtorch." Also by slightly twising the PVC, you can get what looks like viens. Those were done with clear silicone.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:11 AM

Looks good Steven. I've actually made a didgeridoo with the PVC/blowtorch method. Works great!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:04 PM

Default whoa

how much did that cost!?!?!?! really impressive I mean with unlimited resources I would be able to achive maybe half of that.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:03 PM

WOW, thats an amazing viv. Should be very proud. What lighting do you have in it?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:29 PM

Default vines

Couldn't you use rubber tubing with bendable coat hanger wire for the same effect? I'm thinking a 1" clear or charcoal colored fish tank hose roughed up on the outside would hold silicone or epoxy to give the same results with no poison gas to worry about. Put a thick bendable wire inside, shape it and then silicone the top and bottom to seal it.

Just a thought.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 PM

That could work, you would have to seal the ends to keep the wire from rusting. The problem would be that you couldnt twist the tubing or have sharp curves without crimping the tube. The gas really isnt a problem, you just have to be carefull.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Havent been home much... but I took some pics this weekend when I was home. The tank has been on its own except for the refilling of buckets and draining...
Left side

Right side

This pep is doing pretty good all over the tank

Cacti doing ok....

This guy is blooming all the time
Old 11-07-2005, 08:37 PM

Steve, you have really outdone yourself...... that is so so so freaking awesome. all I can say is WOW!!!!!! and drool a bit longer.

What orchid is that in the bottom picture, it looks like a type of pleurothallis? and where did you get it, so awesome. What other orchids do you have in there, and what frogs are you planning? What lighting? Holy cow man, when can I come get viv building lessons from you??? way to cool man,

ed parker
Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 PM

Its a Pleurothallis acestrophylla... and its from Jon Werner. The other orchids in there are:
Stelis sp. "Costa Rica"-doing well
Stelis glomerosa-died at first... but now its on its way back
Restripia muscifera-was doing well untill java moss kept its root base too wet
Restripia sp.-bloomed, but I didnt have my camera
Pleurothallis cypripediodes-bloomed twice (no camera)
Masd. Tunduzii x whitegold-...one leaf left!!
Vanilla planifolia- doing great
Lepanthes gargoyla- not doing much (still my fav.)
Oncidium sp.-doing great
Oncidium sp. 2-doing alright
Unidentified Orchid sp.-think it fell off the wall...cant find it