Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 PM

Default My 72g bowfront vivarium journal

Shout out to Mike at NE Herp for the awesome tank, if anyone is local they should definitly check out the store, if not the great website. In any event, here she is... Psyched to get this started, well see how it goes.

I was going to use the clay method for the BG but decided I would go with great stuff instead due to the size of the tank.

Well it's gonna be a long build but here's the pics of the fresh tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 12:05 AM

Default Re: My 72g bowfront vivarium journal

Wow! That is a great tank. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this huge tank. I'm starting a 26 bowfront when I get home from work tonight.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 AM

Im in the process of a 46 bow that should get up this weekend! =)

Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM

What top do you plan on using?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Im going to get a couple pieces of glass cut to cover the rectangular portion of it. Then where the tank bows out i want to put circulation fans and cover the rest with potentially LEXAN. Anybody have experience with lexan and its longevity? I want something to not warp..
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM

well lexan will warp with the humidity. I know they sell a glass hinged top for bows but there a little expensive but i think your better off than lexan. Il update you with what i plan on doing as im not set on what im doing yet. The only issue i have with the glass top is that there is no ventilation so the front glass will pretty much be fogged 24/7 so idk what to do
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM

I use the hinged (versa top ) glass tops on my 46 bow. In my opinion they work and it maintians a high huidty in the viv. After a day of two the galss doesn't fog up any more and it is just beads up with water. Its not crystall clear but you can see inside no problem. One word of caution: depending on what species of frog is in the viv you may want to consider using a fan to ciruclate the air in the viv.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Has any one started with a rectangular versa-hood or solid sheet of glass and then cut a piece of plywood to fit the bow area. I am thinking that the hinges could work if you had the same thickness of plywood as the glass. Paint it, drill it and only have to open a small hinged area for feeding area. Could put vents with desk grommets that open and close to moderate humidity.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkues View Post
Has any one started with a rectangular versa-hood or solid sheet of glass and then cut a piece of plywood to fit the bow area. I am thinking that the hinges could work if you had the same thickness of plywood as the glass. Paint it, drill it and only have to open a small hinged area for feeding area. Could put vents with desk grommets that open and close to moderate humidity.
You don't need the hinges to connect the glass to the plywood. Just add a handle so you can lift it off. Plywood that thin will sag badly use 1/2" if you have it on hand.
Doug
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM

I have had a 3/8" thick lexan top on my 90g for over 5 years with no warpage. It is not cheap, but has worked out very well.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombotty View Post
I have had a 3/8" thick lexan top on my 90g for over 5 years with no warpage. It is not cheap, but has worked out very well.
Yeah i have a hook-up for some free 1/2 inch lexan and cut to whatever size i want. Thanks for the noted experience.

Another question, would in air circulation fans be more or less beneficial then putting fans flush mounted with the top. Successful meaning keeping high humidity and keeping the glass as clear as humanly possible.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 PM

So quick update.... Got the false bottom together, just gotta put the supports in for it

As you might see the front of the tank will have a very small low flow stream. The water will follow the bow curve of the tank
I'll be meeting up with Mike from NE Herp to get going on a pretty cool top design that will feature a ventilation system that mike thought of. It's pretty epic, and I'll let him chime in if he wants to share the design. So far there's only one inhabitant besides the moss...
Girlfriend gave me the frog as well as a TON of silicone and black greatstuff (best GF of the year award ? ) haha
Also thought I'd share what she got for valentines day...

Got her a pandora bracelet... With a Froggy twist
And the happy valentine
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM

Update!!!

My question for everybody is.... Do you think this hardscape takes up too much room? I could make the trees smaller, keep in mind the left side is only 75% done, and the right side maybe 10% done (clearly)
Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 PM
TWI/ASN

What frogs are you planning on having in your viv? If they are a bit smaller, they can utilize those butress roots as more area to climb on (even more so if you plant epiphytes towards the top).

On the other hand, I notice even my larger frogs like terribilis and tincs will climb up structures to stronger plant canopies, it's kind of like a second story.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 PM

I'm sort of torn between a group of terribilis or maybe some pums. I had this view of how the tank would look with just a few neos planted high up on the trees, like they would naturally. And then to have a good selection of mini orchids mounted on branches that are going to be used. The floor would be minimally planted with a heavy layer of leaf little. Well see how it plays out though
Old 02-22-2011, 01:26 AM
TWI/ASN

Sounds like a pretty good terribilis tank to me, plenty of floor space and large enough roots that they can climb on. Pretty similar to mine, it's a 65 gallon, I just have a few larger broms up top for them to perch on occasionally and the dirftwood in the tank is large enough that they climb all over it. Most of my pum tanks have a lot more broms for their tad rearing.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Ya, I'll have to see how many broms I actually end up having in it when it's planted. But as of right now I don't plan for many broms, just 3 maybe 4 colorful ones
Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 PM

Update: got the other buttress pretty much finished up. I'll most likely be adding some more roots branching out, but this is it for now.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:21 PM

Nice buttress!!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks! I'm in process of adding more roots as we speak
Old 02-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Are you going to get a stand that fits the tank? Sorry, it jsut stands out to me. Those butresses are a good frame, what do plan on doing to finish them? Clay? GS? Vines? I'm excited to see. Also, will that false bottom fit in the tank with the center brace or doesn't it have a center brace? Are you planing on having any water feature/stream/ or pond. Just thinking of floor space for larger frogs. I can invision how this could turn out and a terribilis group might look real cool.

One thing you could do for the lids is use the versa tops and not use the back plastic strip and insert another hinge and a strip of acrylic between the front and back glass panel then you could easily drill holes for vents and misters or cords. I have a 76gal half circle that I cut two 3'' holes and screen them over and one has a fan and the other is open. I've put the fan on a timer that comes on intermittenly it holds great humidity and is perfectly clear.

Last edited by Ben Wehr; 02-27-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Wehr View Post
Are you going to get a stand that fits the tank? Sorry, it jsut stands out to me. Those butresses are a good frame, what do plan on doing to finish them? Clay? GS? Vines? I'm excited to see. Also, will that false bottom fit in the tank with the center brace or doesn't it have a center brace? Are you planing on having any water feature/stream/ or pond. Just thinking of floor space for larger frogs. I can invision how this could turn out and a terribilis group might look real cool.
I would like to get a better fitting stand, but I just can't see myself shoveling out a few hundred more dollars when I have one that works now. I may repaint the stand black. As for the tree buttresses I'm going to use great stuff then carve out a look that I'm going for. I will then use drylok tinted (hopefully) brown. I plan on using the exo-terra vines to complete the look, only because I have had good luck with getting moss to grow on then.
To tell you the truth I think I'm just going to skip the false bottom. My idea is to have a small stream all the way across the front glass, following the bow curve. It will only be the very first 2 inches of the tank. The far right will have a small connected pond, where a waterfall will be. I want to keep the waterfall simple, and plant it. The back wall will be a dripwall made from eco web, and maybe some GS roots, but I'll see as I go. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the top option too, great idea
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM

I thought you were going for that front pond idea with the false bottom. The only problem with that is that you loose a lot of ground space which is already minimal bc of the buttresses. I've had great luck/success with using slate or sand stone and making walls for a pond. stack them like bricks with black silicone at the back and inbetween. it's like how you dry stack lime stone for a wall on a house or retainer. you can't see the concrete and it looks like a natural stack of stones. You can do this in a long line for the front pond or just a little pond section. Keep your floor space in mind though. You can't always have every cool design idea in one viv. Maybe take out one buttress and have the waterfall on the other side. You'd have two main focal areas. Idk just some ideas. Looks like it's gonna turn out nice hearing what you're going for. what are you thinking on frogs so far?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM

ahh its a toss up. I'd like to get terribs, but I won't get them if there is too little floor space. I have GL Lamasi now, but for this display I'd like something larger and bolder, suggestions are welcomed!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Update:
Got some foam work done today, ran out after 3 cans, so I'm off to home depot to get more. Here's where I'm at
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Here's the pics
Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Looking good so far.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:39 PM

subscribed, excellent build. I had the exact same idea for the tree trunk design
Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks a lot guys! This friday ill have a good chunk of the background completed. Im looking now to find something to tint the drylok im using on the trees brown
Old 03-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstratton View Post
ahh its a toss up. I'd like to get terribs, but I won't get them if there is too little floor space. I have GL Lamasi now, but for this display I'd like something larger and bolder, suggestions are welcomed!
How many frogs are you looking to get? Do you have a budget for the frogs you get for the tank? A group of Galancs would look really flashy...
Old 03-14-2011, 03:48 PM

I dont have a really specific budget, but lately i've really liked the look of azureus. I think the "blue" frog thing is really catching my attention, and I would really like a bold and bright animal to display. Maybe a pair of azureus... maybe mint teribs... maybe anything at this point lol. I'm terribly indecisive.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 PM

Andddd a little bit more foamy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300126453.013968.jpg (89.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 03-16-2011, 02:17 AM

Small update: some very very rough Carving
Old 03-16-2011, 03:13 AM

very nice i like how you are making the tree keep us posted on your creation lol
Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 AM

Thanks! I'll keep the pics coming
Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 AM

I really like the tree trunks!
Definitely gonna be keeping an eye on this build thread
Old 03-17-2011, 04:32 AM

Wish I woulda saw this earlier today :-(
That looks great.. and I just got done cleaning up from setting up a 55.
If i woulda saw this I woulda used the foam I have laying around to recreat. Looks awesome.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 AM

Looks badass so far you should do long root/vines all aroud the tree stumps makes a killer looking tank wish I had took the time and done that on my 55gal.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:39 AM

Thanks everyone! I got a bit further on the carving, but it's terribly difficult to get a flush look. If anyone has suggestions on tools for carving please let me know! Lol here's some pics of my progress