Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 AM

Default 1/2" Small Greenhouse Frog

So apparently I have more than one type of frog hopping around my backyard. Months and months ago, I recall seeing what I first thought was a bug, hop in front of me. It must not have been a 1/3 of an inch in size, and much too small to be a frog I thought.

About two months ago, I caught what I suspected to be it, but much larger in size. It was no bigger than the size of a typical PDF new froglet, and I let it go because I wasn't sure if it would be suitable to keep with my soon to be PDFs. More recently I've been seeing more of them hoping around at night (ranging in size from 3/4" and up).

Today, as I was about to open my tool shed I saw what I thought was a smudge of dirt. I thought, wow, that's funny -- it looks just like a little frog. Upon closer inspection, I had to clear my vision -- it WAS a frog! I hurried to grab a little hexagon fish tank (with a lid) and carefully nudged it inside. I took a few pictures, but this is probably the only worthwhile one looking at:

You really have to click on the full size version to see just how small this guy is. Considering how few species of frogs we have on the island, and a simple image search, I was able to find out this is a "greenhouse frog". Does anyone know anything about this species, or know what to feed it? I put a few fruit flies in the hexagon tank it's sitting in, but they look a bit big, haha.

I know it's not advised to put two species of dart frogs together, but how would this guy fair with my three D.Auratus froglets? If it's still ill-advised, that's okay -- I have a small 2 gallon tank I can outfit it in momentarily.

0.0.SIX Hawaiian D. Auratus Froglets
First vivarium!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Default Re: 1/2" Small Greenhouse Frog

It looks almost like some sort of Eleuthrodactylid, like a Chorus Frog. I would def not put any wild native in a viv with my Dart Frogs. If I were you, I'd enjoy it for a few mins and then just release it.
frogparty (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 PM

His darts are wild too!

Still, I would not put them in the same tank. Actually, I would support letting it go. Very cute little frog though. Thanks for sharing him with us.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:00 PM

Hehe, thanks. I just released it a minute ago; I figured, if I can't find small enough bugs for it to eat, there won't even be an option to keep it. :P

0.0.SIX Hawaiian D. Auratus Froglets
First vivarium!