Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 PM

Default My first Viv

This is my first viv tell me what you guys think. I still have to attach some broms but not really sure how. I know some say toothpicks but not clear on how it all works together (do I i just stab the brom and then into the GS?). And I know I need leaf litter yet but haven't had a chance to head to the nursery to see what I can find.

Questions, comments, or concerns?

Thanks

ps sorry for the blur I took it on my phone I was too lazy to get my camera out.

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_rank/5033814283/][/url]
Viv 9-28-10 by crank05, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 PM

Default Re: My first Viv

Hey I like that! Broms will fill it out nicely, as will leaf litter.

To attach the broms with toothpicks, you stick toothpicks in the great stuff, at angles, to create a cradle of sorts for the brom. You'll just have to mess with it to see what I mean. Don't stick the toothpick through the brom.

Another way to attach them is to make a U shape with a piece of florist wire, or something similar. And then attach the brom to the GS by pushing the ends of the U into the background. Again, you sorta have to try it to see what I mean.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 PM

If you have the time to also Gorilla glue works well.... I used it for my broms.... what you do is dab a small amount onto the brom and then spray a little water were you want it and then hold for like 30minutes and it will hold great ^^

Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM

Thanks that makes a lot more sense for mounting the broms other than just "try toothpicks" I found elsewhere. My GS shrunk last night and is coming off the glass a little in a back :S but it doesn't look like it will be a big issue as long as it doesn't spread. I couldn't believe it still had some shrinking to do as I sprayed it a week ago, thought it was done with I siliconed it on Monday. I made it to the nursery for some tropical leaves and they keep that place spotless so it looks like oak leaves it is to get microfauna going at least until I can add some mongo leaves to an order sometime. Now I just need to decide on a species of frog.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:31 PM

GS shrinkage happend with one of my tanks. What a pain. It should be fine but make sure there are no gaps big enough for the frogs to get behind. I went around the edge of my GS background with a bead of silicone to make sure it was sealed off. You could use a number of things in the gaps, though, if you don't want to wait for silicone to cure. Such as clay, moss, umm, other stuff. IDK.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 AM

That's exactly what I did when it happened there wasn't a very large gap anywhere but I just wanted to be sure. I got my broms mounted now and I'm not sure if I like the placement once I got them mounted so I will probably play with it over the next few days to find something I like. I post a pic when I'm satisfied with everything and thanks for the input and tips.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 PM

I see you have a water feature in there, what did you use to seal the GS with as there doesnt look to be any coco in that region
Old 09-30-2010, 06:15 PM

What frogs are you getting in there?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:17 AM

bsr- I actually used a piece of wood for the waterfall the light color you see is just the side of the wood. I actually used the black pond gs, I was able to justify the extra cost with the extra tube of black silicon used to cover the inside of the tank so I wouldn't see the ugly white gs. I actually only used 1 can of the pond gs to do the whole tank which saved about $9 on the second which I am pretty happy about (still irritates me that its shrinking tho).

frogboy- I'm planning on putting a dendro in there however, the actual species is what I'm up in the air about. I originally wanted a cobalt tinc but the more I think about it I would like either an azureus since they are more active/freindly (my new first choice) or an auratus. But right now I've kinda decided to wait and see what is available at my up coming local herp expo and at what cost they will come at. Regardless of the species I only plan on 2 but I know this will change when I have more room for more tanks.