Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 04:25 AM

Default 160 gallon viv

I've been a member here since May of 2009 and I built a 50 gallon viv totally expecting to get some frogs. Someone gave me a crested gecko and I've had him in the tank ever since. I recently spent 10 days in the Costa Rican jungle building a bible school. That place is amazing! Blue jeans pumilio everywhere! Well I got the bug again and decided to build an acrylic tank based on dimensions of some tanks I've been blown away by on here and at Terracom.tk.

Dimensions are 42" wide, 36" tall and 24" deep. Comes out to about 160 gallons. I plan to build a gs/coco and epiweb hybrid background on an eggcrate frame so I can zip-tie it to the acrylic back wall. Apparently gs doesn't stick well to acrylic for long.

I've got a drip wall in the works run by a canister filter. The eggcrate in the bottom of the tank is approximately where the land portion of the tank will be.

Here are some pics of the completed tank. The 5 gallon bucket is for size reference. Last pic is of the pdf turned gecko tank. Any constructive suggestions are welcome on either tank. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08813.JPG (69.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08815.JPG (60.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08814.JPG (61.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08816.JPG (90.8 KB, 234 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re: 160 gallon viv

What species are you going with?

Also you may want to make the land area larger and the pond smaller. I know its a big tank but why not give them the most amount of space they will actually use right? . . .

Itll be nice to see when done! Gotta love big vivs
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 AM

Nice viv! Itll look even better when the moss grows in.
PS. I used to live in Visalia! Where in Visalia do you live?
Joe

Last edited by hukilausurfer; 09-20-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 AM

Love the wood! I really like the tall piece on the right.

I would have to agree with nathan on the land and water. It is a huge viv but that seems like a lot of water and that is coming from a guy that loves water features. Can't wait to see this one finished.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:21 AM

Still deciding on the frogs. I'm a tinc fan, cobalts specifically. Something big so my kids can see them. How many could I comfortably fit in here by the way?

Point taken on making the pond smaller. I plan on having a few more pieces of wood and a rock or two in the pond as well so it'll greatly increase the land area. Everything's still up in the air as far as that part of the design goes.

I'm in Visalia right off of Demaree. Smack dab in the middle of town

I work for a fish store and the guy gets some huge pieces of African hardwood. Really cool lookin' stuff.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:14 AM

I really like the set up. very clean look. the moss and water makes it look very nice.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 AM

I love the bigger tanks and can't wait to see your progress. I've got some tips. Skip the zip-ties and go buy stainless bolts, nuts, fender washers, screws, and silcone. Just drill through the walls, use bolts/washers to hold epiweb onto wall and heavy pieces of wood. Screws for lightweight items. Slowly drill holes to avoid heat and cracks. Caution with epiweb, it scratches acrylic at the lightest contact. Tape edges of epiweb or tape newspaper inside. Also, epiweb is much different than tree fern panel. The water falls right through it. Gorrila glue can be tinted colors and works pretty good, but still can be "popped off". Make sure your pump can lift to the height before plumbing in. Most important, have fun!